cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account banned for no reason and cant even use it to post on community

2 weeks ago i made an ebay account, didnt sell/buy anything on it and just received an email saying i am permanently banned due to "activity that we believe has put the eBay community at risk. " . All of the activities i had on that account were changing my username this morning and messaging a seller to ask if they ship to Europe , and i accidentally messaged him twice as i didnt realize i dont see my messages in the inbox and need to click on the sent tab. I sent an email to customer service right away and not even an hour later i got an  email from eBay Customer Service nl that was totally not a generic automated mail , that told me "we do not make decisions like this lightly, so we have spent some time reviewing your case... Your account has been suspended because the pattern of activities we have witnessed presents a risk to our eBay community....This suspension is permanent. You will not be able to participate in any buying or selling activities on eBay. In addition, any other accounts you own, or that are associated with this account, will also be suspended. While we know this is not the response you wished to receive, there is no further opportunity to appeal on this decision." So im guessing changing my username and asking a seller if they ship to europe is such an evil pattern of activities that resulted in me permanently being banned on the account and also making me unable to even post on the community , giving me "Third Party Authorization Error" ,Error code: : 2024-04-15 07:38:26 : signin.ebay.com when i try to do it from the main account.

Made this new account that dunno when it will get banned just so i could post this here as i still dont understand exactly what made me receive the ban on my main account .

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Yes, unfortunately this account will be banned too.

The problem is probably that your account is associated with another account by wi-fi, that owes money to eBay, by not mailing the items sold or not paying fees in some way. Maybe it was a family member or friend that used your wi-fi. You wouldn't have known, because no one is going to tell you, hey, I just cheated people on eBay and I used your wi-fi. There is no way around this unless the other person pays their bills and fixes what they did on eBay. Good luck.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

I see, but if i make another account using a different wifi will that one get banned as well? Or am i just permanently banned from using ebay ever, due to something that i didnt do/have no control over?

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

I don't know the answer to that. My guess is they can't catch you on a different wi-fi. However the account will be linked by your name, bank and e-mail account. Now that your name is on their radar, your name will be banned too. You can try other selling venues.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Any other account you make will be suspended, even using a different Internet connection.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

All because god forbid i make an account using the shared wifi... 26 billion dollars company...

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Not necessarily a WiFi related issue. Could be an account you or a family member had in the past. Could be associated in any number of ways.  Could be a previous account was hacked.  No one but eBay knows and they are unconcerned.

Posting ID
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I've not had an ebay account before and i live in a student dorm , so the wifi is shared. I am still trying to get customerhelp_nl to help me but get little to no help , as per their email "I can see that there is not any unauthorized activity on your account" and that "We're not comfortable with your buying practices or business model," despite me not buying or selling anything on Ebay . And no mentions of being banned from using community on the main account from the 

"Third Party Authorization Error
There was an error passing information between the third party you just came from and eBay.
Error code: : 2024-04-15 10:02:32 : signin.ebay.com"

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

If anyone living there has had their Ebay account suspended, anyone using their WIFI will also be suspended.

The only way to fix it is to have the first member that was suspended fix their account.

What sucks is there's no way to know who the member was, they could have been suspended last month or 10 years ago.

Have a great day
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

"I've not had an ebay account before and i live in a student dorm , so the wifi is shared."

There ya go, there may be no way back from a suspension when related to another banned account(s)

Posting ID
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I mean its pretty dumb tho , imagine if you connect to a public wifi and check ebay and you get banned for life with no way to appeal the ban 

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@rs.a_77 wrote:

I mean its pretty dumb tho , imagine if you connect to a public wifi and check ebay and you get banned for life with no way to appeal the ban 

Correct. You can get banned if related to another banned account.

I would never give out my WiFi password to a visitor here at my house that does eBay or AMZ.  They can use their 4g or 5g on their phone or do without. Simple as that.

Likewise,  never use another WiFi when out and about around town, I use my 5g or nothing.

Posting ID
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Ebay tracks IP address on all transactions. So if you're logging in from a shared network and someone else using that network has been suspended eBay will often erroneously assume your accounts are linked. This has been going on for at least 15 years, and somehow eBay has still not come up with a way to solve the issue of innocent users on shared networks getting suspended. It's honestly a boneheaded move on their part. Sadly, in all the years I've seen people come to the forums with this issue none has ever succeeded in getting their account reinstated.

There is one more thing you might try. Contact CS on one of the social media sites. Their reps are usually more savvy. Explain that you're using a dorm network and aren't associated with any other accounts using that network. It's worth a shot.

www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

www.twitter.com/eBay

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Asked them on twitter , hope i can get this fixed as getting permanently banned for ever for simply making an account on a shared wifi should not be a problem in 2024...

Thanks for all the help

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Did you try to open a seller account, with details such as SSN, banking info etc, or just a generic buyer account with just name, address and email account?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 15 of 18
latest reply