AWESOME NEWS Ebay Authenticate

Amazing new program check it out!!

http://pages.ebay.com/authentication/?rmvSB=true

ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ Patty ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ
Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: AWESOME NEWS Ebay Authenticate

Hmmm, what could go wrong.  Let me count the things.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 28
latest reply

I can just see how easily abused this will be.....buy a real LV bag on eBay that clears authentication. Return your fake bag and get double your money!

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 3 of 28
latest reply

So it cost money, and delays the shipment to the buyer.... sounds like a waste of effort.  Depending on the fee, it would be cheaper and quicker to just get certain items appraised.... 

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

For listings in the target inventory set where the seller hasn’t adopted the authentication service, the buyer will still have the ability to utilize the service for a fee. Same process as above, but the buyer pays.

To further bolster consumer trust in this program, if a buyer receives an item following inspection and it’s found to be inauthentic, eBay will refund the buyer two times the cost of the original purchase price*.

* Coverage may vary by region. Terms and Conditions will apply.

Gee - I wonder how many buyers will be using this to 'authenticate' those "high-end" purses from china so they can get double their money back?

@missjen316 wrote:

I can just see how easily abused this will be.....buy a real LV bag on eBay that clears authentication. Return your fake bag and get double your money!

hmmmm OMG  it never occured to me ;-(

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

I would like the service to be before the transaction is completed... so in other words.... before I list the item I submit the photos and have them authenticate the item pay for it and then list with an authentication number or some other  mark... and same with the buyer.... before she /he buys have the service authenticate the item

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

How exactly is eBay going to authenticate items?  From the photos in a listing?  By having the item sent to some location for an "expert" to inspect it?  Double your money back is more than the best store would do, so it's an invitation to scammers.  Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds like a terrible plan.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

@theshoppingmom2 wrote:

@missjen316 wrote:

hmmmm OMG  it never occured to me ;-(

In theory, it's a great idea. And I think it could be beneficial in many ways. I think IF buyers and sellers are willing to fork over the money for this service, it will definitely boost confidence and increase sales. But just like the MBG, it will be easily abused. I would like to think that if the authenticators say the bag is authentic and the buyer comes back and says it's NOT, that eBay will have a strict policy on how it will be addressed. Because this is going to be like wal-marts once liberal return policy. People will soon catch on and abuse it. Flea markets and even brick and mortar mom & pop shops are full of replicas, it's extremely easy to get a fake Michael Kors or Coach bag. This program could be quite profitable for scammers.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

@nvilla wrote:

How exactly is eBay going to authenticate items?  From the photos in a listing?  By having the item sent to some location for an "expert" to inspect it?  Double your money back is more than the best store would do, so it's an invitation to scammerts.  Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds like a terrible plan.

The way I read it is, the authenticators will make their decision based on photographs and eBay will trust their decision because they are the "expert" you could say. The authenticators will probably require photos of specific parts of the bag (or whatever item it is) to be authenticated. 

But it it's NOT fool-proof. Because on the flip side, the seller could list a real LV bag and have it authenticated and then send the buyer a fake bag and many buyers would probably not give it a second thought since it was authenticated.

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

it sounds like when the item sells, the seller ships the item to the authenticaters and IF the widget is authentic, they ship it to the buyer.  OH MY.... what happens if they deem it isn't authentic, what happens then?

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

Then it should be destroyed... or maybe the seller should pay to get the item back... but I am not feeling the last.... because then the seller could just go ahead and relist the item or sell it someplace else and selling fakes is never good

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

@needleinahaystack714714 wrote:

it sounds like when the item sells, the seller ships the item to the authenticaters and IF the widget is authentic, they ship it to the buyer.  OH MY.... what happens if they deem it isn't authentic, what happens then?

And the double refund....does it come from the seller or from eBay? Does the original amount come from the seller and the rest from eBay? Or does eBay take full responsibility and the seller keeps their money? And if the authenticators ship the bag to the buyer, I cannot imagine that the fee for this service will be anywhere reasonable! Plus the buyer would be paying shipping twice right? Shipping to the seller to send it to the authenticators and then from there to themselves! But I don't think the bag is ever sent to the authenticators. Because the buyer can utilize the service before they buy the bag so it has to be done through pictures only. Wait I take that back! I re-read the info and it doesn't say the buyer can use the service prior to purchase. But how will this work? If I buy a bag and use the service myself, does the sellers payment go into escrow? Does it go to eBay who releases it to the seller after the bag passes inspection? What if the authenticators are to slow to forward the bag to the buyer and the buyer takes it out on the seller??? What if the buyer says the bag arrived damaged and files a case against the seller??? Look at all the problems with the GSP! 

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

The only authentic authenticator is a manufacturer's representative.  Anything else is an opinion.

Are these 'authenticators' willing to be personally financially responsible if they make a mistake?  Do they have the resources to defend their opinions in court if either the buyer or seller file suit?

OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 14 of 28
latest reply

@theshoppingmom2 wrote:

Then it should be destroyed...

And if an 'authenticator' mistakenly destroys an authentic item?

Message 15 of 28
latest reply