cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

United Arab Emirates

Hi Everyone.

I sold an item this morning, packed & shipped it out quickly.

However, just now,  in logging in my sale, I see that eBay charged me an international fee. I don't ship to other countries.

The shipping address was in Sarasota, FL. Its not the money so much as I dont appreciate being swindled into a fee that I was not aware of. Why do they conduct business this way? Seems quite unfair. Do you know a way to prevent this in the future? Many thanks

Deb

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: United Arab Emirates

When PayPal handled most eBay purchase payments the seller could have PP block any such "cross-border payments" to avoid the extra fee (which is to cover increased costs of record-keeping and reporting).  eBay does not see fit to offer anything like that.  And the available Buyer Requirement regarding international buyers only covers those with their primary shipping address in a location you don't ship to (might stop the ones who don't want the effort of changing from their home address to the forwarding shipper, but it's fairly easy to set it).

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@beedees192 

eBay is an international platform, so it is very unlikely you will be able to avoid buyers from other countries.

There are two types of international money processing fees that have been pretty standard this past century:

1) currency conversion fee. This is when the buyer pays with a different currency than the seller offers. On the US site, the currency is US dollars, so buyers paying in a different currency will see a currency conversion fee. US sellers listing on an international eBay site will also see a currency conversion fee upon payout from that site.

2) international (or cross-border) transaction fee. This is the cost of one bank making a settlement request of another bank outside its domestic banking network. The cost is typically applied to the funds recipient (the seller) and is not related to currency conversion. 

eBay applies an international banking fee when the buyer's shipping address, or registration address, is in a different country than eBay's platform.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822#section8

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Thank you for the explanation. 

However, I don't like to be blindsided. An explanation from eBay would be in order....before I accepted the low ball offer & shipped it out. 

I appreciate your time

Take care

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thank you

Good to hear another seller's answer to this....just another way to increase the fees we are already paying...taxes were a nightmare this year. I got stuck paying MORE in taxes than I really should have. Now, I'm watchling more closely & making different decisions. 

I appreciate your time. I know how busy our days are

Take care...happy selling

Message 5 of 5
latest reply