cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To insure or not? Shipping advice for jewelry and silver.

I usually sell items that aren't too expensive but now have some estate silverware and gold jewelry to sell. I understand that if over $750 I must include Signature Confirmation. 

But should I insure also or is that a red flag for USPS theft?

Advice please from seasoned sellers of expensive jewelry and silver flatware. Thank you.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @merrysu 

You already get up to $100 of insurance with Priority or Ground Advantage shipping, so no insurance is needed for the items you're selling.

I wish insurance was NOT included in the price of shipping. I haven't had any lost packages in 19 years (though I did have a package that was delivered a year late once). Shipping insurance is usually a waste of money except on something VERY expensive.

If you were selling an expensive item here or there, you might consider extra insurance, but it's far more cost effective to self-insure. Put a dollar in a jar every time you have a sale to go into your self-insurance fund. At the end of your selling career on eBay, you'll probably not only have never taken anything out of it, rather you'll have found you needed to keep replacing the jar with a bigger jar.

Inceptions
Volunteer Community Mentor, buying and selling on eBay since 2004

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

There is no indication on the label that a package is insured. Your shipping includes $100 of insurance - if you do not want to risk the amount over $100, then add more insurance.  Items $750 or more also require signature confirmation.

It doesn’t matter what you are shipping - you either want to take a risk on the uninsured amount, or you don’t.  Only you can decide.  

wooden_flower Volunteer Community Mentor.
eBay member since 2001.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Self insure. It will save a lot of money in the end.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply