cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quoted shipping rates skyrocketed recently?

Recently, while scrolling through ebay listings I've noticed an increase in shipping rates. Nothing alarming.

However, it's nothing compared to the increases that are shown to me personally once I click on an item and the system has time to calculate a quoted rate just for me. 

$39.85 + $34.27 shipping --- pair of bookshelf size speakers from Indiana to Maryland
$25.74 + $12.00 shipping --- pair of women's booties from Georgia to Maryland

Just curious because these rates make finding a good deal or even a fair price suddenly not even worth the price of the item and I can go to just about any competing site to buy used goods where shipping is a fraction of what I'd pay here. And forget it when I find something from Europe to ship here.  Unless something is a one of a kind - then it's not even worth it.

Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone ever contact sellers before you buy to see if they can use another shipping method or is that forbidden?

Thanks,
Sherry
Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Let me note that scrolling listings is often in Google where one rate is listed on Google Shopping and another shown on the site.  Or, if for some reason I've been logged out of ebay and not realized it. The rates change as soon as I log in. Sometimes that login is at checkout after clicking Buy Now thinking I'm paying one rate, only for it to change when I'm about to pay.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

USPS shipping rates increased on 1/9/22.  They always increase in January.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Important-Update-2022-shipping-carrier-rate-changes/ba-p...

The highest rate increase is for first class package, which I believe is the shipping method the majority of sellers use.

The listings that are displayed on Google Shopping are cached, I believe, so they are showing the old shipping rates.  Once you get to the actual site, the shipping rates should then be accurate.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 3 of 3
latest reply