cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I collect tax on a cash pick-up order?

I have been selling items on EBay and shipping accordingly.  EBay now adds the tax to the order, collects it and then reports it to the correct state on my behalf.  I now wish to post some heavy items that would be impossible to ship.  I want to offer local pick-up where the buyer pays me in cash.  Do I collect the tax that EBay calculates and then EBay will just deduct that from my account with them?   I greatly appreciate whoever can assist with my dilema.  Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The buyer can pay you using ebay Checkout.  ebay will collect the sales tax due and remit it to your state tax revenue office.  Make sure the buyer prints out the message from ebay that includes the QR code and 6 digit code, so you can use it to show that the buyer picked up the item.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

The buyer can pay you using ebay Checkout.  ebay will collect the sales tax due and remit it to your state tax revenue office.  Make sure the buyer prints out the message from ebay that includes the QR code and 6 digit code, so you can use it to show that the buyer picked up the item.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thank you for your speedy reply.  Does the buyer pay the entire amount (item and tax) directly to EBay rather than tax to EBay and cash to me for the item?   Do I enter the 6 digit code from the buyer's printout to the item page to show "delivered"?  I remember you helping me quite a bit years ago when I started to sell, then "life happened" and I stopped, now starting again and everything has changed.  I so appreciate you and the time you take to help others.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

The buyer pays eBay for the entire amount, eBay will process the payment just like an order you are going to ship.  Cash payment is not allowed in states where eBay must collect tax.

Enter the code from the buyer after he picks up the item to report the item delivered.

wooden_flower Volunteer Community Mentor.
eBay member since 2001.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply