cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer requested a refund, has not returned item

About a month ago, a buyer requested a full refund, which I gave him. He agreed to return the item to me, and I sent him a shipping label.

He emailed me and said, "When I click on the print shipping label link it sends me to the "you got a refund page" so I cannot print out the label. I will send them back as soon as I can get that label."

That was weeks ago, and he still hasn't returned the item. If he doesn't return it, what are my options and, more to the point, where can I access those options? It's one thing to say "The refund should be reversed," for instance, and another thing to advise me on where to look for the reversal. I've been an eBayer a long time and this is a new one for me. Thanks.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer requested a refund, has not returned item

I'm sorry you are having this issue.

When you select "refund" before you receive the item back from the buyer, it negates the need to have the item returned and does not generate a label.

You will not be able to create that label on eBay now.

You can try to create a new label with a non eBay shipping program, such as click and ship on eBay and send the buyer the label by email or snail mail.  Or you can provide the buyer with the funds to ship the item (if they agree to that)  

But your options on eBay are limited once you refund.  There is no way to reverse the refund.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I'm sorry you are having this issue.

When you select "refund" before you receive the item back from the buyer, it negates the need to have the item returned and does not generate a label.

You will not be able to create that label on eBay now.

You can try to create a new label with a non eBay shipping program, such as click and ship on eBay and send the buyer the label by email or snail mail.  Or you can provide the buyer with the funds to ship the item (if they agree to that)  

But your options on eBay are limited once you refund.  There is no way to reverse the refund.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I've already created the label via eBay and it was sent to him.

See his comment about trying to print the shipping label.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Since you said the label was not available when he tries to print it, you may need to send another label.

If you refunded him, the label may not be generated.  How did you send a label?

It is also possible that he does not want to ship it back since he has the refund.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I'm not sure what you mean by "How did you send a label?" I sent it via eBay, using the option to send a return label. I don't know what page it was on, probably the item page.

If he decides not to return it to me, there's nothing I can do? He gets a full refund and he keeps the item and I'm out of pocket for the return postage as well? And I can't leave negative feedback?

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Yes, you answered the question. How did you send the label.

I'm afraid that this is at the point where you need to believe that the buyer cannot open the label and send him a new one from outside eBay OR you need to think he does not intend to send it back.

What I would suggest is have him contact eBay to figure out why he can't open the label.  If he is honest and intends to send it back, eBay may be able to help him or send him a copy of that label.  Sadly, eBay sellers don't see the label.  He would need to contact eBay through their help page, this forum would not be able to help him with that.

I agree, it is frustrating when you refund someone and don't get your item back.  That is why eBay suggests you only  refund when you get the item back.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Once you agree to accept the return, and ebay sends a link to the buyer to print out the label, you needed to wait until the item was returned BEFORE you refund the buyer.  Once you refund the buyer, the buyer does not need to return the item.  There is no way to force the buyer to return the item once you have refunded him.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@sidsalts wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "How did you send a label?" I sent it via eBay, using the option to send a return label. I don't know what page it was on, probably the item page.

If he decides not to return it to me, there's nothing I can do? He gets a full refund and he keeps the item and I'm out of pocket for the return postage as well? And I can't leave negative feedback?

@sidsalts 

-Sellers have not been able to leave Neutral or Negative Feedback for Buyers since 2008.  You also cannot leave a negative comment in a Positive FB, it is a policy violation for members.

-Regardless of the issue with the Buyer and the label that you sent them if you refund before getting the item back the Buyer is under no obligation to ship the item.  If memory serves, if the label is not used you will not be charged for it.  

-I had a recent return and the Return label was charged to my account one day AFTER the refund was issued to the Buyer after I got the item back.  You can check your transaction history on this page over on the right in the Recent activity file: Seller Hub | Your financial summary | eBay

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@disneyshopperand others, thanks for clarifying.

It was my mistake to refund the buyer immediately after he requested it. I was trying to do the right thing, but I guess I should've done the eBay thing! They aren't always the same.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@sidsalts wrote:

@disneyshopperand others, thanks for clarifying.

It was my mistake to refund the buyer immediately after he requested it. I was trying to do the right thing, but I guess I should've done the eBay thing! They aren't always the same.

@sidsalts 

You are more than welcome.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 10 of 10
latest reply