cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer lying about return reason to work around my no return policy.

Hi! I have a no return policy for several reasons and it's plastered in very strict and stern terms all over my policies sections on my store and on my listings.

What does one do when a buyer wants to return a used item they bought that's not what they thought it was, and is now asking for a return stating that the photos and description didn't match the item.

If really irks me that he's lying about that because the photos I added for the item and that description matches exactly what he got, he just doesn't want it anymore since the model he purchased didn't have a feature he wanted. Apart from the model number and the size of the external object, I list no features of this item and trust the buyer to know what they're buying and I state as much on my policies as well.

I've now spent $15 to ship this item and eBay got their $20 - so I'm out $35 as it stands. Plus this guy gave me an offer of $15 less than the asking price, so if I add that in I'm out $50.

Now if I accept this return I'll have to add a shipping label to this mounting list of expenses and for UPS shipping no less due to the fact that I can't receive USPS package at my address due to Post Office practices here of leaving things in the open to be stolen, so all of my packages are sent to a UPS access point. With the odd size of this item, I'm guessing it's going to take no less than $30 to ship this thing back to me. Apart from me selling used stuff, this theft issue I've had with USPS - I live in Baltimore City -  that's one of the main reasons I state no returns. 

So let's say I accept this return - add that return shipping to the mix and I've lost about $80 so far. 

I'm guessing that eBay doesn't care if I get a return, I'm still in on all that I've paid them to date....

So, if I get this thing back - assuming it's still usable - relisting is going cost me another $35...

and now I'm out $115!!! HOLY CRAPOLA. I'm new to this entire experience and I'm not sure how people deal with this part of the gig...

Again, my no return policy is plastered on every listing and on my store page. I know this guy is aware of it too because he's sent me 3 messages dancing around the topic before he went ahead with submitting this return request today - knowing full well that I don't accept returns. 

What would any of you do?

Thanks!
Sherry @25th Street Peddler

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Buyer lying about return reason to work around my no return policy.

False returns are part of selling online, especially when you have a no return policy.  You should accept the return and refund when received.  eBay will refund the final value fee when you refund the buyer. You should only be out of pocket for the shipping x 2, and any listing upgrade fees (like bold title, etc).

If you ask eBay to decide, they will say return, or worse, they will refund the buyer form your money without return.  No fee refund, plus you get an unresolved case on your performance.

If you don't have a safe place for usps to leave packages, have your PO hold them for you to pick up, or get a PO box.  The PO box would be a tax deductible expense if you are filing schedule C self employment income.

You can report the buyer for abusing the money back guarantee after you refund, but that will not get you any compensation other than the satisfaction of reporting him.

wooden_flower Volunteer Community Mentor.
eBay member since 2001.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply