cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer files a dispute with his credit card company before anything else?

I just got notice, after showing an item was delivered to a buyer on May 11th, that they have filed a dispute for non-receipt of an item with their credit card company.

I would have thought they would have messaged me first, or at the very last, opened a claim through ebay, which I think suggests they message me first. 

Just wondering how these kinds of things go. I looked up his address (street view) and he has a nicely covered yard, so item wasn't left out in the open though it said it was delivered to the front porch. 

Ebay says to do nothing about it and that I am protected somehow and I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with this sort of thing before.  The detailed information says ebay is preparing their case, basically. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @wileycat66 

I'm so sorry this happened.  I would imagine that different credit card companies handle things differently.  Whenever I've had to file a chargeback ... my CC company (Chase) has always told me that they'd give me a provisional refund ... pending contact with my seller.  [From what I've read on these Boards ... not all banks do that.]  

Being able to provide tracking information that shows the item was delivered to the buyer's ZIP Code should  be sufficient to avoid having to refund ... but I'm not sure that's always the case.

If you're comfortable contacting the buyer ... I would suggest to them that they contact their local post office and see if they have GPS showing exactly where the package was left.   While the package might have been stolen after delivery ... it's equally likely that it was left at the wrong address.  GPS would clarify that.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Respond to the case giving the tracking number showing delivery.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Hi @wileycat66 

I'm so sorry this happened.  I would imagine that different credit card companies handle things differently.  Whenever I've had to file a chargeback ... my CC company (Chase) has always told me that they'd give me a provisional refund ... pending contact with my seller.  [From what I've read on these Boards ... not all banks do that.]  

Being able to provide tracking information that shows the item was delivered to the buyer's ZIP Code should  be sufficient to avoid having to refund ... but I'm not sure that's always the case.

If you're comfortable contacting the buyer ... I would suggest to them that they contact their local post office and see if they have GPS showing exactly where the package was left.   While the package might have been stolen after delivery ... it's equally likely that it was left at the wrong address.  GPS would clarify that.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thank you so much! I was wondering about that, but I always wondered if post offices actually are able to track that kind of a thing. 

I'm thinking maybe I might try to call his post office there in Greeley, Colorado. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Ebay is already on it and told me there is nothing I need to do. I've never had anyone feel the need to file a chargeback before contacting me, and this person has bought lots of other books from others. Sad when a buyer can't face the seller with a problem. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

here you can read this info.....

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/payment-dispute-seller-protections?id=5293&st=12...

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Hi _

I just wanted to follow up. I put in a report somehow with the automated system on USPS phone line and the next day I actually got a call from a post office clerk in Greeley, Co, where the package went. He left a voice mail saying he would contact the carrier and get back to me. 

He told me it was definitely GPS tracked to that exact address and that the package may have been stolen (though the front door on the street view of the address looked well-hidden by fencing and plant growth.)  He said there is a lot of theft of packages in that area. But who would take a book marked Media Mail? Maybe some people just aren't examining and just running away with it. 

The  buyer never filed anything with the post office about loss. 

Either way, it was nice to see that a USPS line actually works sometimes. The automated system didn't really give me an option to explain anything in detail, except on the survey voice mail. I was happy to get a call back. 

Wondering if I should mention this to the buyer or ebay, though there isn't a case against me to respond to, just a notification of credit card dispute. 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply