cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are we vulnerable selling DVD's and Blue rays?

I recently sold an new as in sealed and never removed from package DVD & Blue ray movie, customer received it, but claimed defective as the digital code didnt work.  I never said in the title or description i was selling the digital code.  But the picture of the item say printed on the cover of the case "Blue Ray and HD Digital."  They returned the item, i received it back, now opened...I went ahead and issued the credit.  Afterwards thinking about it, they didnt return the inside paper with the digital code.  I messaged the buyer and asked what did he do with the paper that had the "defective" code...he said he threw it away as it expired.

I now have the opened dvd/blue ray, no digital code.  For all we know, he downloaded the movie or sold the code or whatever.  So how do we protect ourselves when selling dvd's or blue rays?   Obviously, once they open it it can no longer be returned and sold as new.  At the very least I should not have issued the credit or at least not paid the return shipping.  Although ebay does say buyers can return defective items regardless of our policy on returns.

I now list all DVD's/blue rays as discs only and in "as is" condition  with  digital codes not guaranteed to work.  Returns only accepted if unopened.  But if a customer still claims as defective, ebay will honor the return, correct?  Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Are we vulnerable selling DVD's and Blue rays?

OK, I did find out from ebay that digital items like codes are not covered under ebay's buyer protection.  So as a result, I could have denied the return and ebay would have supported my denial....had i known 😞  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Re: Are we vulnerable selling DVD's and Blue rays?

OK, I did find out from ebay that digital items like codes are not covered under ebay's buyer protection.  So as a result, I could have denied the return and ebay would have supported my denial....had i known 😞  

Message 2 of 2
latest reply