cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help with this item i think its japanese medal help with translation

yes ive been trying to figure it out, i even downloaded a translate app to try and camera translate the writing on my phone, but it doesn't pick up what language it is.  I think its japanese from the tree on the back, and the sandals he has on.  Wish i knew.  hopefully someone on here will see this and recognize it.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: help with this item i think its japanese medal help with translation

This is a very interesting medal - can't wait to hear what the translation is. It depicts a stereotypical evil "Foreigner", kicking a Japanese woman.  I can't quite make out the Patent Number; have you tried researching the Patent? I have had some pretty good luck with that.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

patent number is 102286.  i tried to research it, but didnt get any results like this.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

A friend of mine translated Japanese patents for a living; unfortunately, he recently passed away.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

still need help here are some clues.

The front side says "金色夜叉" (Konjiki Yasha), which is the title of a famous novel by Ozaki Koyo published between 1897 and 1902. The author is apparently considered very influential, and this novel is said to be his most important work.

The front shows a scene from the novel. The woman, Miya (お宮), breaks off the engagement to the man, Kanichi (貫一), because a rich banker's son has proposed to her. Enraged, Kanichi kicks her to the ground, which is the moment shown on the front of the medal.   

There is a statue in Atami, Japan whick is statue called "The Kicker" which depicts Kanichi giving Miya a Kick in Atami.  Just google and you will see the statue

Message 5 of 5
latest reply