cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identifying large Asian/Chinese? Panel

I'm hoping to find out more about this Asian Art Piece. It is very large, most likely handmade as it has some rough hewn marks on the wood base. I think it is old. I believe it is Chinese, but I am not positive about any of it. I think it is true vintage Black Lacquer. Has painted and embossed-like art on the front and the back. Can anyone help here?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Identifying large Asian/Chinese? Panel

Indeed it is Chinese-ladies looking at goldfish bowl, did you see goldfish inside?

It looks old, what is the other side?

You should find out what kind of wood is used,sometimes the wood is worth good money.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Beautiful
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

hello its very nice. not sure but you might try googling
antique chinese enameled panel
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

It is called a Tsuitate in Japanese and is a traditional type of single-panel decorative screen. Age and quality of workmanship is impossible to determine without a very close hands-on evaluation. For every old original by a master, there are thousands of knockoffs, which can look pretty convincing to the untrained eye. Traditional lacquerwork from urushi sap - not enamel.  Based on this one picture, I would say this peice shows real promise of  being both old and of high quality.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Interesting and attractive piece.  Looks to be Chinese from the scene, but that isn't always necessarily true.

The Chinese made screens of all sizes, small table screens to large room screens.  The made them to protect from wind when writing and them made them for comtemplation, among other things.  They made them of wood or polished stone/mineral that used the natural formations of the material.  Generally, they were made in 3 pieces (basically).  The screen, the frame and the stand, though a frame wasn't always a necessary part.

Determining the age would probably depend mostly on the style of manufacture of the base - the wood working techniques.  Possibly an analysis of the colors to determing the material make-up.  Other than that, unless there is provinance - a first hand history - dating it is more guesstimate than anything else.  However, it appears to be19th century - but just from what little I can see.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 6 of 6
latest reply