cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Native American Dance Rattle?

I found this at an estate sale and thought it was interesting. I was wondering if anyone can tell me something about this item. First of all, is it authentic or a replica? When would it have been made? What exactly is it called? I found one that looks similar to this online and it was called an "Indian Buffalo Rattle Toe." Any information would be most apprecited.DSCN1345-Photoroom.png-Photoroom.pngDSCN1347-Photoroom.png-Photoroom.png

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@k2500guy 

Could you provide a close-up photo (both front & rear) of the wrapping around the handle, from which hangs the feather and the rawhide (?) thongs?

I'm trying to get a better idea of what the design might be on that patch, and of what it is composed.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Hope this helps.

DSCN1355.JPGDSCN1356.JPG

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@k2500guy 

Very interesting -- it appears that that feature might not be a separate wide strip of raised rounded beads, but perhaps actually a very thin strip of rounded beads, wound round and round the handle.

Can you verify which is correct?

And can you detect of what material those raised beads are constructed?  (If you have a magnet, pass it over the surface to detect any magnetic quality.)

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@k2500guy 

Sorry to ask for so many photos; but something just doesn't seem right with your item -- the head of the rattle just appears to be TOO perfectly constructed, with NONE of the variations that might be expected from an older, hand-made item.

Can you provide a close-up photo of the front of the head of the rattle as well?  And does it appear to be bone, or wood, or stone, or -- what?

The feather bothers me, as well -- it seems to be a very random feather, rather than a feather which would have had a ceremonial symbolism.

I'm leaning towards a more contemporary item (less than 100 years old), rather than an actual ceremonial rattle, simply because the head looks too perfect.

In what state did you find this item, and in which state do you currently live?  There may be some Native American research centers near you that would be able to provide you with more accurate information than can be supplied by eBay sellers looking at your photos.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I examined it closely with a magnifying glass. It looks to me like the substrate is one piece of something and the beads appear to be some kind of stones that have been adhered individually. They are not attracted to a magnet at all and vary greatly in size and shape. They are not attracted to a magnet.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@k2500guy 

It might be Navaho-based; but whether modern or pre-1900s it's just too difficult to determine, simply by looking at photos.

Try Googling some Native American or Natural History museums in your area, to see if they can provide you with some more precise information.

Besides establishing a realistic period for the item, I am also concerned whether it is an actual ceremonial rattle (which may not be permitted on eBay), or whether it is a more contemporary replica, which might be permitted.  Here's the eBay guidelines on Native American items:  

Artifacts and cave formations policy

As there are laws and regulations around the sale of artifacts, fossils, relics, and cave formations, it’s important that listings follow our policy.

Artifacts and cave formations can have significant cultural value and may be legally protected.

What is the policy?

Items obtained from government or protected land, historical grave sites, or shipwrecks, can't be sold on eBay.

Looted or stolen goods can't be sold on eBay. For a list of the cultural goods most vulnerable to illicit trafficking, refer to the International Council of Museums' Red Lists Database. See also the “Additional information” below for more resources in the fight against the trafficking of these goods.

Listings for artifacts, fossils, and relics must:

• Follow all government regulations
  • Be authentic and listed in the appropriate category

Listings for replicas must:

• State that the item is a replica in the title and description
  • Be listed in the Reproduction or Fantasy category, as appropriate

Listings for antiquities must include the provenance or ownership history of the item and, where possible, a photo or scanned image of an official document including both the item's country of origin, and the legal details of the sale. The item must also be approved for import or export. Listings for cave formations must follow all government regulations.

• Speleothems, stalactites, and stalagmites obtained from caves on government land can't be sold on eBay

Listings for government survey markers must include a photo or scanned image of the document proving that the government has transferred ownership to the eBay seller.

The following Native American items can't be sold on eBay:

• Funeral objects placed with the dead
  • Grave markers
  • Human remains
  • Sacred items used by Native American religious leaders in ceremonial practices, such as ceremonial masks and pray sticks 

Listings for Native American arts, crafts, and jewelry must follow all government regulations.

• Under the Indian Arts and Crafts Act, any item described as Alaska Native, American Indian, or Native American must be made by an enrolled member of a state or federally recognized tribe or by someone certified as an Indian artisan by a recognized Indian tribe

Non-Native American items in the style of Native American art or crafts must be listed in the Non-Native American category.

Additional information

As the sale of certain artifacts, grave-related items, Native American arts and crafts, and other related items is legally protected, there may be additional requirements in order to sell them on eBay. The information on this page can help assist sellers trade lawfully on eBay. eBay cannot assess the authenticity of specific artifacts or the legality of their sale. Sellers are responsible for ensuring that their transactions are lawful.

For more information on the regulations regarding the sale of these items, please see the links below:

This eBay policy also reflects regulations that have been set by various government agencies in the U.S, including the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), and the U.S. Department of the Interior (DOI).

For more information on the illicit trafficking of cultural heritage goods, please visit the UNESCO Database of National Cultural Heritage Laws.

As part of the fight against the trafficking of stolen works of art, INTERPOL encourages not only law enforcement agencies but also art and antiques dealers, owners of works of art and the general public to play an active role in the exchange of information about stolen works of art:

You can find more information and resources on the Cultural Heritage Crime section of the INTERPOL website.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I really appreciate your time helping me. More photos are no problem. I don't know what the head is. It is not wood and it's not stone. I guess it's bone. It is very hard and lightweight. Wherever it came from, someone put in a great deal of time and effort to make it. I am in Virginia. I will check around to see if I can find any Native America groups that might be able to identify it. I have attached another couple of photos, but don't feel obligated to continue if you don't want to.

DSCN1368.JPGDSCN1366.JPG

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@k2500guy 

Very intriguing rawhide work!

Not sure how close you might be to the National Museum of the American Indian in Washington, DC; but I'll bet they can offer you much more expert guidance than anybody on eBay.

Check it out --

https://americanindian.si.edu/

Message 9 of 9
latest reply