cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with cast iron roly poly rabbit . . .

Hi, I posted this over on the Toys and Hobbies board but it looks like things are slow over there.  Wondering if anyone here might have some information on this item.

I believe it is called a roly poly, but most of those seem to be paper mache, this one is cast iron.  

It is about 8" from bottom to the top of the ears.  

The bottom is solid cast iron and the upper (painted) body and head are hollow, but still cast iron.  

They eyes are glass.

The head has a noticible seam (not particularly well aligned) and the fit of the head to the body is rough. 

It does appear to be original and without repair, paint has some small chips and looks as if it could use some cleaning, unless this is one of those items you don't clean.

I do not see any maker's marks or other ID, but this is way outside of my area of expertise, so I could have missed something.

Sorry the photos are not better, just took a few quick and dirty shots to see if anyone knows anything about this item in regard to vintage, function, or anything else that might be of interest.  

I have located some photos and previous listings, but nothing more than people using key search words, (roly poly, doorstop).   I'm curious as to vintage and original intended use.  Clearly it could be used as a doorstop, bookend or toy, but what was the original intent?

s

s

s

Thanks for any information you have to share.

Be a spirit ~ not a ghost . . .

~ the first step to knowledge is not knowing . . .  Alice

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Help with cast iron roly poly rabbit . . .

@alice.831 wrote:

Hi, I posted this over on the Toys and Hobbies board but it looks like things are slow over there.  Wondering if anyone here might have some information on this item.

I believe it is called a roly poly, but most of those seem to be paper mache, this one is cast iron.  

It is about 8" from bottom to the top of the ears.  

The bottom is solid cast iron and the upper (painted) body and head are hollow, but still cast iron.  

They eyes are glass.

The head has a noticible seam (not particularly well aligned) and the fit of the head to the body is rough. 

It does appear to be original and without repair, paint has some small chips and looks as if it could use some cleaning, unless this is one of those items you don't clean.

I do not see any maker's marks or other ID, but this is way outside of my area of expertise, so I could have missed something.

Sorry the photos are not better, just took a few quick and dirty shots to see if anyone knows anything about this item in regard to vintage, function, or anything else that might be of interest.  

I have located some photos and previous listings, but nothing more than people using key search words, (roly poly, doorstop).   I'm curious as to vintage and original intended use.  Clearly it could be used as a doorstop, bookend or toy, but what was the original intent?

s

s

s

Thanks for any information you have to share.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SANTA-CLAUS-Cast-Iron-ROLY-POLY-DOORSTOP-8-1-2-Tall-Jolly-Old-St-Nick-/22162...

if you Google Roly poly cast iron, check images...... apparently it is a doorstop. Good luck with it!

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Help with cast iron roly poly rabbit . . .

Thank you so much.  Yes, I've seen these listed as doorstops, bookends and toys, but I'm wondering what the original intent was when they were manufactured.  Also wondering what approximate age the item is.  Was just hoping some collector might be able to fill me in.

Be a spirit ~ not a ghost . . .

~ the first step to knowledge is not knowing . . .  Alice

Message 3 of 3
latest reply