cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help identifying type of stone....please?

Hi, I am not sure what this stone is, jade, jasper, malachite, or something else......it is set in a 14K frame, I have owned it for many years.  It is cold to the touch....please, any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!IMG_0611.JPGIMG_0612.JPGIMG_0615.JPGIMG_0614.JPG

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Hi @yellowducky4430 

not an expert, but that looks like an opal doublet to me (composite opal).

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Not to sound too picky, but photos are hard to decipher.  The one photo almost looks like the white is painted on with an enamel. 

If you held a gun to my head and made me guess, I might go with some form of calcite. Caribbean Blue Calcite Meanings and Crystal Properties - The Crystal Council

One weird thing is that it looks to me like the maker's stamp was put on the wrong side of the bail.  I'd assume that the flat side is the back, and the rounded cabochon side is the front....but idunno.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Is that writing on the side of the bail? What does it say, if anything? (See pic below.)

D72F9FBB-B663-405E-B667-56463C2799E6.jpeg

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Good catch!

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Hello. I would need to see this one in person to id. Per the photos, there is no iridescence and no tell-tale crystallization patterns or color tones. It could be a nice agate.

Regarding the bail. it is on the correct side. The front of this setting is the bezel side. Easily confusing, though, b/c the shiny side of the stone is the obverse.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply