cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with maker on this set of a brooch and earrings please.

This appears to be a very nice pin and earrings.  Heavy, well made and the stones are prong set, but alas, no hallmark.  Not expecting it to be valuable, but how does one go about identifying unmarked pieces?  

Also, on the earrings one of the backs (loose and does not hold) is not working well.  Would you list only the brooch or list the set and explain how one earring is not tight?    You know how sometimes folks don't read the finer print and I would not want someone to be disappointed, but I do think it makes a nice set. 

As always, thank you for any help you can send my way!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

It looks like Trifari to me. There was a period when they used hang tags. You can say in the style of Trifari in the description but not the title.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Excellent!  Thank you so much for the suggestion.  Would you list the earrings also even though they are not working well?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

This does not look like Trifari... and all Trifari pieces ARE signed.  I have specialized in selling Trifari for years and would never represent a piece as "unsigned Trifari".  If there is such a thing it is extremely rade and would not be from this era which looks to be 1960s.  In the 1960s Trifari signed all of their pieces.  As for the earrings, you usually can tighten them up by adjusting the two little "arms" on each side of the hinge of the clip (hope this makes sense).  Here is a good read on Trifari hallmarking:

While you cannot tell everything from a mark on a piece of jewelry since many marks are faked but you can start by learning what an authentic mark should look like. Trifari signed and/or marked all of the firm's costume jewelry, so look for the identifying mark. Back in the day, the Trifari firm reminded customers of their commitment when it advertised that "If it isn't signed, it isn't Trifari." Authentic Trifari costume jewelry has a Trifari mark however over the years, the Trifari marks have changed. From the mid 1920s until about 1930, Trifari costume jewelry was marked with a "KTF" logo featuring an oversized central letter "T" which stood for Trifari. By the 1930s, the most common mark for Trifari pieces was the "TRIFARI PAT. PEND." mark. This mark was used from the early 1930s. In the late 1930s, the "TRIFARI PAT. PEND. mark was used along with the Crown Trifari mark which showed a crown atop the letter "T" for Trifari from 1937 to 1955.

There is more but I am sure that you can get the gist.  I just don't want you to think that there are unsigned Trifari pieces out there.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Well back to the drawing board, but it is good to know what it isn't!  Thank you so much 🙂

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Trifari may have used tags and other marketing tools such as "signed" jewelry displays and boxes, but that is not to say the jewelry wasn't signed. Research has documented, Trifari signed all of their jewelry. The link below from a blog references this information, and there are several other sources that can be cited.

See the two small paragraphs above the titled section, "Summary of Trifari Vintage Jewelry Marks":

http://www.myclassicjewelry.com/blog/trifari-vintage-jewelry-identification/

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Oops! Sorry. I didn't see elegant's post until I posted a reply which I started over an hour ago. I was interrupted by the gardener, and by several calls from friends and family, to wish me a happy birthday. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Learning more all the time.  Thank you for your time and the information.  Happy Birthday!!!!

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Happy birthday 🎊🎈🎂
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I had a very happy birthday! Thanks for the happy wishes, kathy328 and midcenturymaiden55. 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply