cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Identifying This Piece

Hi!  I'm sure this is obvious, but I've never seen piece with this type of pin.  Is this just a typical hat/stick pin?  Thank you!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Help Identifying This Piece

I think it looks more like a hair ornament.  I say that because of the apparent thickness of the shaft and the tip.  The tip doesn't appear sharp enough to be used as a pin.  Ladies used to wear things like this in their hair when they were wearing and "updo" such as a French twist or a bun.  Maybe try researching "vintage hair ornaments" and see if anything like this pops up.  

Happy hunting!

Maggie

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I have one like that too.  I purchased it with several pieces of jewelry at an estate sale.  I love the way they look but I don't have any information on them!  I was thinking a hat pin maybe.  Mine is sharp on the end so I don't know about a hair pin.  Looking forward to information!

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I just gave the hunt a try and googled "Antique stick pin with twisted shaft" and got a page of pictures all very similar.

Most say these twisted pin shafts with sharp points are Tie/Scarf/Cravat Stick Pins from the Victorian era. Maybe more recent too.

Have a look and see if this is what you both may have.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thank you!  I found this paragraph in one of the articles "Careful observers may note that some vintage and antique stick pins have twisted shafts. The reason for these spirals has nothing to do with appearance, although it does attract the eye. Twisting the metal simply made the stick pin stronger."  

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I would think the more obvious reason is that the twists help stop the pin from easily slipping out of the material. I have a couple of modern stick pins that have the same twists.  These days most come with stopper for the sharp end to prevent injury and stop any inadvertent sliding.

Lea
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thank you to everyone for the information.  So helpful!  I appreciate all of your responses.  Stay safe everyone!😊

Message 7 of 7
latest reply