cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There are so many sacrifices that members of the military make in order to protect us. After they return home from service, veterans often experience PTSD, depression, unemployment, and several other challenges. Save A Suit is a non-profit that provides them with free professional clothing—helping them transition back to civilian life and achieve job security. They’ve outfitted over 5,000 veterans since 2010 and beyond clothing, they also host mental health awareness events and food drives. The President of Save A Suit, Alex Carrera, walks us through how the charity is backed by their eBay store. 

Shop their collection of high-quality clothing at affordable prices, https://www.ebay.com/str/suitcharityestbysaveasuit

7 Questions with Alex Carrera of Save A Suit

1. How did you start selling on eBay?

I’ve been with Save A Suit since their early days. They came to my college with the idea and I thought it was a great opportunity to give back to people and develop my business skills. I joined as a volunteer and got more involved over time.

A suit is like a uniform for a professional life. You wear one to showcase your best self and leave a lasting impression—especially during job interviews and other important meetings. Veterans all over the country can request a suit through our website and we’ll do our best to get it to them. The suits that aren’t sent out are listed on eBay to raise funds for our veterans’ programs. We use eBay for Charity so buyers are aware that the proceeds from their purchase go directly to Save A Suit. So far, we’ve sold over 36,000 suits through our eBay store.

2. What’s your process for sourcing or producing merchandise?

We’re based in Bethel, Connecticut and collect suits, blazers, dress pants, shirts, accessories, and other professional clothing that people in the community donate. These items are dropped off at our office or at local schools and businesses that we’ve partnered with. 

After we receive the donation, we have a few steps we follow. First, our team thoroughly inspects the clothing for any damage. We then put the items on a mannequin and take photos so people can visualize what they're going to look like with the suit on. The last step involves listing the items on eBay. On any given day, we’re putting up between 20 to 50 items.

3. What’s your top productivity hack?

Spreading positivity in the office so everyone can stay motivated. I believe when people are happy and really care, they're more likely to deliver great results and put a lot of heart into what they do.

EBY03285.jpg

4. What eBay tool do you find most useful? Why?

The eBay app is simple and accessible—making it easy for anyone to start selling online. You can take photos directly from the app, upload them, add the details, and list the items. It really helps speed up the selling process. 

5. What’s your selling superpower?

Developing great customer support and providing amazing quality items. Sometimes, if there's a problem with the order and the customer is upset, we go above and beyond. Depending on the situation, we sometimes offer refunds or free items and in the end, the customer is happy.

EBY03171.jpg

6. Who inspires you?

All the veterans and members of the armed forces who’ve made sacrifices and done so much for us and our country. Their bravery and selflessness truly inspire me to keep moving forward every single day.

7. What’s your favorite quote—motivational or otherwise? Why?

It’s by a veteran who was at one of our very first events. He said, “It's not just a suit, it's a fighting chance.” We have it up in our office because it shows the impact of what we do and reminds us of the difference we make in the lives of people via our programs. 

Check back for more seller stories and tips throughout the year on our Announcements board, the eBay for Business Podcast, and our eBay for Business Facebook and YouTube.

This interview has been edited for concision and clarity.