cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alec Larson had dreamed of being a fighter pilot since he was a kid. But when he learned how competitive the field was and that he didn’t have 20/20 vision, he decided to change his plan. He focused on his other interests like business and music and today—he’s a successful eBay seller, musician, and private pilot!

Shop automotive parts from his eBay store, Larson Enterprises

7 Questions with Alec Larson of Larson Enterprises

1. How did you start selling on eBay?

My first business venture was when I was 14-years-old. My mom helped me get a gumball machine that I placed in a local ice cream shop. I went there a few days later thinking there’d be an overflow of coins—there were only one or two. I remember being so disappointed that I cried—but that’s when I was bitten by the entrepreneurial bug.

A few years later, a friend suggested that I buy surplus automotive inventory from auctions and sell them on eBay. The need to start my own business recaptured my focus and that’s how it began. What started with a pile of obsolete Ford auto parts has today grown into a 3,500 square foot warehouse, with almost 5,000 listings, and just under a million in inventory. 

2. What does a typical day look like for you?

I’ve realized that if I don't plan my day, I’ll end up dabbling in different things and before I know it, I am running behind my schedule. The first thing I tackle in the morning is shipping. I then respond to messages and dedicate at least two hours a day to completing drafts and listing inventory. I spend most of my time working, but I am fortunate because this business has given me the opportunity to go after my other hobbies. While I couldn’t be a fighter pilot, I was still able to pursue my love for aviation by getting my pilot’s license. I can work, fly an airplane, play guitar on stage for a live audience, and then wake up to do it all over again. I really couldn’t ask for more. 

EBY03567.jpg

3. What’s your process for sourcing or producing merchandise?

Acquiring more inventory is one of the main challenges when it comes to growing the business. Initially, I’d get involved in a lot of auction sites. I’d also contact local car dealerships to check if they had surplus inventory. I’d show up, introduce myself, and bring donuts. I’d do everything to not come across as a salesman but as someone who was there to provide value to their business.

4. What’s one thing you would tell yourself when you first started your business?
I’d tell myself to figure out what people find valuable, and then work on that model consistently for growth. My experience with the gumball machine will always stay with me as a lesson. You can have high expectations and it might not work out, but that's just part of the trial-and-error process. Does the market need gumballs in this area? Maybe not. Let’s try bouncy balls instead.
Some broader advice for starting a business—validate your idea as soon as possible. This venture was the only one that I started backwards. I didn't have a business card, a website or an Instagram page—I made the first dollar before there was any of that.

5. What eBay tool do you find most useful? Why?

One tool I cannot live without is Terapeak Product Research. With the sold items filter, I can check an item’s sales history and plan my inventory accordingly. It’s a cheat code for accelerating your business. Another one is the bulk listing editor. It’s one tool that I use for inventory management, even though I don't think it's specifically meant for that. I’d also recommend editing old listings by adding a new keyword or replacing an image. This is a big part of my monthly operations and you'd be surprised with the results.

EBY03547.jpg

6. Who inspires you?

People who are always innovating, building things, and making the world better—like engineers. For instance, I am inspired by Ernest Shackleton and the story of how he tried to explore Antarctica despite all the hardships he faced. If I'm having a hard day or there's a certain challenge to overcome, I think back on stories like his. 

7. What’s your favorite quote—motivational or otherwise? Why?

I have a quote by Theodore Roosevelt hanging up in my office. It’s at the end of one of his speeches and goes something like, “if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
Some other quotes I like are, “You're the average of the five people you spend the most time with” and “Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” I’ve had those experiences which is why I find them very relatable.

Check back for more seller stories and tips throughout the year on our Announcements board, the eBay for Business Podcast, and our eBay for Business Facebook and YouTube.

This interview has been edited for concision and clarity.