cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 Spring Seller Update Reminder

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hello,

Please use this thread if you have any questions or wish to discuss today's announcement

Thank you. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 331
latest reply
330 REPLIES 330

Re: 2017 Spring Seller Update Reminder

What is the normal shipping cost of a commercial printing press?

Message 106 of 331
latest reply

Why are the sellers that have achieved top rated being punished by taking away 50% of the discount  that they worked so hard for in the first place.  I really don't see how this is investing in our success.  I love Ebay and Always have loved Ebay but I am starting to feel the love is not mutual.

Sorry,  just really confused on how any of this helps the sellers.

Message 107 of 331
latest reply

@thehealthdepot wrote:

Active content is media such as videos in the item description. It doesn't really affect anyone because not many people use videos in their descriptions. 

Over the Christmas season, I actually bought a dvd that had a short youtube clip in it. There were a few variations to the DVD and I needed to verify that this DVD was the right one. I really liked it. I would actually like to be able to use it. It isn't even that difficult to code for. Oh well. 🙂

Message 108 of 331
latest reply

In the first email I received about the new updates eBay stated that the changes are coming from us (the sellers) because we have requested them. Not the case with me and alot of others on this discussion board. I am a TRS and I have conformed to eBays ways every time they do an update but this one leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I have sold for years but I am not a business and this isn't my everyday job, I have always understood the updates from eBay trying to get all sellers to be honest and trustworthy but with that, eBay always gave an incentive (not that trustworthyness and honesty requires and incentive) but all the extra work to give eBay more profit does. This update though, eBay is requesting more of us and they are taking away almost all of the incentive to conform. Because I am not a big business and this isn't my only job I find myself thinking about not having to worry about the headache of the 30 day returns, the one day shipping, and all the other requirements eBay asking and just let the TRS piece go. This is not an update that sellers have asked for, it's just one more way eBay can take a little more from the sellers who are trying to be the best (not big) the best.

Message 109 of 331
latest reply

You are missing the point.  Ebay sellers have been requesting that ebay spend more money on marketing to bring customers to our stores so that we can sell more.  I am willing to give up just a little bit more money in exchange for more marketing, more customers and more sales.

Judy Harper
Message 110 of 331
latest reply

As I stated in my first response I am not a business. I do believe eBay started that way. A place for people to sell items they had in the attic ect. I totally understand that you want to make this your business but I do believe more sellers on eBay are like me who enjoy selling and don't have a problem with giving eBay their fair share for letting us do this. All they really have to do is charge the seller who want to use the marketing (like you) in this case more and we would all be happy

Message 111 of 331
latest reply

This is one of the biggest eBay failures I have witnessed in 17 years. Its like they get together in a room and throw darts at stupid decisions to try sellers without ever thinking it through. Ebay is NOT investing in the sellers, they are damaging small businesses. #unethical Completely out of touch with the seller. #fail

@devinwenig What if corporate and exec's took a 10% wage cut instead of @ebay stores and TRS? seems fair #feehikes #hoops

Message 112 of 331
latest reply

Don't ship next day! That's why you are paying insanely high shipping costs!
Message 113 of 331
latest reply

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ebay-announces-advertising-strategy-120000963.html

BRISBANE, Calif., March 16, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- eBay Advertising, a division of eBay Inc., today is announcing a shift in its advertising strategy to focus on first-party data and offerings that will help brands drive commerce on the core eBay Marketplace. As part of this strategy, eBay Advertising is building a direct ad sales team for the first time, focused on developing commerce partnerships with global brands to reach buyers at every stage of the shopping journey. The company is also announcing a record 48% increase in the number of advertising customers acquired in 2016. eBay Advertising is working with the world's largest auto, consumer electronics, fashion, health & beauty and home & garden brands.

Judy Harper
Message 114 of 331
latest reply

I'm not sure how decreasing our discount is helping TRS sellers. We are losing our discount so that you (ebbay) will remove other ads on our listings? Those third-party ads shouldn't have been on our listings to begin with, so ebay is not really doing us any favors by fixing something that was wrong in the first place and then taking away our discounts to justify it.

Very disappointed. 

Message 115 of 331
latest reply

...at the sellers expense. ebay can sugar coat this all they want, a fee hike is a fee hike.
Message 116 of 331
latest reply

Exactly my point! For all the sellers on eBay that want this marketing, the fee's and all the other headaches should come off you your sells not the sellers that don't want it. But as I stated before there's not enough sellers that want it, so they have to take a chunk out of us all so you can have it. Not right at all. eBay should charge the appropriate rate for the sellers that want or use this feature
Message 117 of 331
latest reply

That's just nonsense. You're naive if you're assuming eBay is dipping into TRS pockets to "promote." This is about eBay's bottom line profit and eBay's stock performance. Very simply eBay's financial performance has been disappointing at best.

In case you haven't noticed, the strong dollar and increased shipping costs have made overseas sales virtually non-existent for US sellers.

Management looked around to see where there might be some money and discounts to top rated sellers was where they found it. Sure sellers want to see more spent on promotion (they always do). But you can bet eBay's not going to do that at the expense of executive bonuses.

I don't do this to make a living. And I sure as hell don't do it for fun. Insane return policies, lack of seller protection, obvious search manipulation and more have led me to quit my store, stop shipping anything more than a few ounces overseas, and quit taking returns.

Let us run our businesses and stop trying to manipulate your best sellers. Without them you're nothing.
Message 118 of 331
latest reply

So essentially this says that the small sellers on whose backs and hard work this site was built are no longer valued. We want those GLOBAL Brands. Sad. 

Message 119 of 331
latest reply

Blah, blah blah.   It makes little difference on what the site is selling or how it's marketed if the customer service experience suffers because there's little reason to provide top notch service.     

That's the real risk in Ebay's corporate greed ploy here. 

Message 120 of 331
latest reply