Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The eBay Community is Your BFF in the Online Selling World

Share Post
Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger
Last Edited 01:43:23 PM by Community Team

Community is your best friend forever in online business.jpg

When running an online business, it helps to have an active community for connecting with peers, getting advice about that weird selling situation or just griping with someone who gets it. The eBay Community Boards are where our sellers ask, answer and, best of all, support each other.  But don’t take our word for it.
A community member and seller, @nufces09 says, “Community has answers no matter how ‘odd’ the question.” 

@shipscript agrees. “The collective wisdom of the community is a truism.” 

Another seller, @theshoppingmom2 says,

“The eBay community boards not only have given me so much knowledge but also so much love and care.

Here’s why the eBay Community should be your favorite hangout:

Near 24/7 answers

Imagine a group of friends sitting across the globe at any given point in time, ready to help or simply hear you. That’s the eBay Community. Whether it’s a question on shipping or generally sharing the ups and downs of a business, it’s great to be heard. There are over a million visitors coming to eBay Community each month, so you’re sure to find someone who can help and make use of the collective wisdom of an informed group.

“It's good to read other sellers discuss their experiences in order to know that what you are doing and feeling are okay,” says @golfingaddict. “I always try to participate in a positive way because this platform really works for me. It's important to let others know that with hard work, dedication and great customer service, eBay can be a great platform for a successful online selling career!”

Relevant expertise

In the world of customer care and digitally-trained answering machines, what makes a difference is an individual on the other side of the screen who can empathize. Every selling platform has its nuances and particularities. eBay sellers understand the uniqueness of this marketplace and how to use it to their benefit. The knowledge they share in the Community comes from tried and true real-world experiences.

In the words of eBay seller, @nufces09, “Having a Community to exchange knowledge helps me grow my business because I know there are others out there not just selling but selling on eBay, so they know when I come up against a problem what I can do to make my selling better.”

Pride in peer-to-peer connection

The eBay community thrives on peer-to-peer knowledge sharing. Members share real information based on real-life experiences. “By reading replies from the great posters on the Community, I learn something new every day,” says @bobbie354.

@golfingaddict adds, “I tend to answer questions more than I ask them. I'm able to help sellers with finding answers or providing links so that they can find the answer themselves.”

While it’s a great place to seek information, members also find it gratifying to share their knowledge with other sellers. eBay has a recognition program in place to celebrate those who are active and helpful in the community. Members can earn badges and helpful votes for their posts that can help them build a reputation within the community.

Connected with eBay

We love the fact that the conversations that members have keep the community healthy and knowledgeable. Not only is the Community the best place to chat with fellow buyers & sellers, it is also a .  a great place to connect with eBay employees too! In addition to monitoring the community, eBay employees reply to the trending  topics every weekday. Through the eBay Community, you can connect with representatives from various departments, via the weekly live chat. In fact, the chats are a great way for the eBay employees to know what’s on sellers’ mind. These chats happen each Wednesday at 1pm PT.

News, updates and conversations

The eBay Community is what you want it to be. If news is what you are looking for, the Announcement Board is for you. We update this section regularly with the latest product updates, policies or urgent announcements on weather conditions and more.

Groups could come in handy if you want to connect with fellow sellers who share the same passion. You have the option to connect with them openly or message them in private through groups. Let’s say you deal in antiques and want to discuss the price of your item. Or, you’re a fashion enthusiast who wants to share the latest trend. You can find a group or create your own to stay connected with like-minded sellers.

It could be a challenge with shipping, or marketing tips, or even best practices – Discussions are jam-packed with expertise. Read our existing discussions or dive in with your specific questions to make the most of the collective experience.

The Knowledge Base is another great place to start, if you are looking to build your expertise in the online business. The eBay Community team curates the content here to ensure you get what you are looking for quickly.

From achievements to struggles – don’t keep it to yourself. Talk to your fellow sellers in the eBay Community. You never know might end up helping someone! What does the eBay Community mean to you? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.

We look forward to seeing you on community.ebay.com. As one of our sellers, @nc-daydreamer summarizes it:

“A long way we've come, with a longer way to go;

We volunteer here because we love it so.

Therefore, 'hats off' to the new eBay Community Crew;

May we continue to grow stronger, because of all that you do!”

• Seller Stories
  • Tips and Tools
19 Comments
by pirate_snoopy · Scout

I agree - the community is awesome! It is a perfect place to come, weather you are brand new to eBay or have been selling since the company began.

gramophone-georg
Rockstar

I agree with you.

Does this mean that Community Management/ Leaders will move their focus from Facebook back to here where it really should have been all along? A lot of us eBayers don't "Facebook", especially given that now Facebook is an actual competitor marketplace. What is going to happen when ads for items on Facebook start appearing on the eBay Facebook pages?

by southern*sweet*tea · Guide | Updated

BFF??

What are we...like...twelve or something??  And the board has been slowly killed off over the past few years. It's nowhere near the vibrant community it used to be. So why this article now? I thought Ebay was focusing on "social media" and ignoring the real advice given here.

mallontown
Trailblazer

The community is awesome, its a place for answers from other ebay ers,

But why doesn't ebay have a dedicated rep(s) that can answer questions every day? 

Will it break ebay to pay someone to answer questions?

lindyslucky
Trailblazer

The community is great! We have gained so much help and knowledge from others.

The communication and kindness we have recieved has kept us going.

But, we totally agree with  southern*sweet*tea and mallontown.

Both the changes, even sort of hiding the community has diluted the sharing.

I have spoken to long time sellers who are unaware there is a community.

And why isn't there a rep, or method of communication where answers can be obtained?

I have had questions, including one last week, that sink to the bottom so quickly they remain unanswered.

And we really absolutely dislike the feeling of "us"against "them."

Shouldnt we ALL be helpful and partner with each other? An overall feeling of being part of a team would seem to be beneficial. And less stressful. Making it easier to tackle the difficult task of listing.

It feels so good when things are selling.

by rober-kauff · Explorer
rober-kauff
Explorer

i am 59 years old and trying to set up a ebay buss. sometimes it seems hard i would like to build this for retirement help

by pirate_snoopy · Scout

@rober-kauff

i am 59 years old and trying to set up a ebay buss. sometimes it seems hard i would like to build this for retirement help

What do you need help with?

Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger

@mallontown ebay Community is place where members gain from the expertise of their peer group. The Community thrives on collective knowledge where sellers help each other with their knowledge based on real experience. Having said that, the eBay Community Manager also answer questions on every weekday. In addition, you can also log in to our chat on every Wdnesday at 1pm PT to ask your questions. 

Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger

@lindyslucky - we are all in it together, 100%. I am glad you found the kindness and help you needed at the right time. And we would ensure it stays that way. Do join us for the chat this Wednesday and we can address your question there. 

@gramophone-georg 

@southern*sweet*tea - We would like to be where our sellers are - Social Media or the eBay Community. The thought is to keep the communication going from a seller to another seller or from eBay to sellers or sellers to eBay.  Like I said, we are all in it together. 

mallontown
Trailblazer
by Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger

@mallontown ebay Community is place where members gain from the expertise of their peer group. The Community thrives on collective knowledge where sellers help each other with their knowledge based on real experience. Having said that, the eBay Community Manager also answer questions on every weekday. In addition, you can also log in to our chat on every Wdnesday at 1pm PT to ask your questions. 

Thanks for the reply, Can you tell me who the eBay Community Manager is and what it their screen name so I can see what was answered?

Also you write about Knowledge base in glowing terms and I cant even answer a persons question and all of the questions currently up have  no answers . Looking at the dates of questions and all non answers it seems that the last ember of Knowledge Base burned out long ago.

by pirate_snoopy · Scout

@mallontown

Thanks for the reply, Can you tell me who the eBay Community Manager is and what it their screen name so I can see what was answered?

Also you write about Knowledge base in glowing terms and I cant even answer a persons question and all of the questions currently up have  no answers . Looking at the dates of questions and all non answers it seems that the last ember of Knowledge Base burned out long ago.

The community manager is alan@ebay.

You are probably trying to answer a question in the Member-to-Member boards. Those can only be answered by community experts. You should be able to answer questions at https://community.ebay.com/t5/Discussion-Boards/ct-p/12001.

mallontown
Trailblazer
by pirate_snoopy · Scout

@mallontown

The community manager is alan@ebay.

You are probably trying to answer a question in the Member-to-Member boards. Those can only be answered by community experts. You should be able to answer questions at https://community.ebay.com/t5/Discussion-Boards/ct-p/12001.

ok but mansi_aneja · Verified Blogger 04-25-2017 04:40:00 PM said "the eBay Community Manager also answer questions on every weekday" and alan@ebay last post was on 4/20 so As to " being an expert"  I could have helped these people on the Knowledge Board as no one there is helping them and its probably discouraging to those people.  

Why even promote something that is not supported?

by pirate_snoopy · Scout

@mallontown

the eBay Community Manager also answer questions on every weekday

It's every Wednesday, not every weekday - I believe you misread mansi_aneja's post. You can join it tomorrow at https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/bd-p/weekly-chat (1 pm PT). As for the questions, you will have to stick to the discussion boards or regular answer center. You can request to join the experts program, but IMO, you may want to get a little more experience answering questions before you do that.

mallontown
Trailblazer
by pirate_snoopy · Scout

@mallontown

the eBay Community Manager also answer questions on every weekday

It's every Wednesday, not every weekday - I believe you misread mansi_aneja's post. You can join it tomorrow at https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/bd-p/weekly-chat (1 pm PT). As for the questions, you will have to stick to the discussion boards or regular answer center. You can request to join the experts program, but IMO, you may want to get a little more experience answering questions before you do that.

I did not misread it, please do not assume.

Thanks for the info on weekly chat but I already know about it and have posted there.

sunnydaze45
Adventurer

I'm not sure where to ask this question BUT CAN anyone tell me WHY some people get 500 free listings  (3 times this year alone) while others such as myself never get them???   Just curious to see the answer..

by pirate_snoopy · Scout

@sunnydaze45

tell me WHY some people get 500 free listings

I am pretty sure people are just chosen by random. You may have to check the "general email promotions" box though. (Sends emails about what's new and hot on eBay, great deals, special events, discount coupons and other special offers.) Looks like it might help you.

by labs118 · Rockstar
labs118
Rockstar

@mansi_aneja
With all due respect Alan is not answering on the boards everday, that is not true at all
Heidi & Trinton will jump in on many posts  & many times are lopped in with the @ 
symbol.
And I give them Thanks for this because for a long time we had nothing
doug is also very good about board issues

But

ebay is so bent on mobile App, active content how many sales are via mobile yet go over to those two new mobile App boards right now & see how many posts are answered by the mobile App teams & how many are sitting not answered. 

I am finding that after all my years here the boards are failing, less help from many great posters. something has gone wrong & I can't put my finger on it. Just my feelings

Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger

@labs118

Thanks for writing in with your appreciation. Our community managers are doing a great job. Many sellers have experienced that first hand and wrote to us. The community definitely has led to life-changing experiences for many. 

The boards are first a way of knowledge exchange among the community members. That's the strength of this community. All you experienced sellers sharing knowledge and encouragement with others, that's what makes it enriching. Of course, the Community Managers will always be there watching over, participating and helping sellers. 

About your concern on Mobile App related questions, we will have it checked. Thank you very much for sharing your concerns. Internally, we are all determined to make the Community meaningful for all of us. And that cannot happen without people like yourself. Do write in to us if you have any ideas for making it better. Happy Selling!

by vintagecraze50 · Guide

No one understands and can be as helpful as a fellow seller on Ebay. It's a place to gain the knowledge you need to manuever the many aspects of selling online. It's a place to share your sucessess and your difficulties and to find ways to get practical extremely important information from peers who have been doing this forever and know their stuff. Many have used this forum as a way to continue to stay positive and it has been a lifesaver for some in maintaining and growing their business. We are very grateful to all who have assisted us here and have shared in our frustruations and sucessess. Come here often--you will learn so much.