Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Seven Habits of Highly Effective eBay Sellers: Part Two

Share Post
Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger
Last Edited 11:08:55 AM by News Team

Habits2_Header.jpg

A few days ago, I was talking about what some of the most successful eBay sellers know about making it as an entrepreneur. To recap, they’re crystal clear as to why they’ve chosen to sell on eBay, they’re very routine-driven, and they establish goals for the short and long term.

But there’s more to the story. Here’s what I see as the final four habits of highly effective eBay sellers, based on years of interviews, conversations, and observations:

Habit Four: They nail time-management.

Time management is a close relative of routines and goal-setting. When you establish habitual ways of completing tasks, you’re better able to gauge and allocate the time it takes to get them done in the future. Then, when you commit to those lofty goals, you can make a fairly accurate estimate as to how long it’ll take you to achieve them. It’s all connected.

Quote1b.jpg

The eBay sellers I look up to dedicate chunks of time to projects (some have even been known to use an egg timer). They commit to one thing and maintain a laser focus through to completion. They know, intuitively or based on years of experience, that if they don’t manage their time, it’ll manage them. As speaker, author, and entrepreneur Jim Rohn said, “Either you run the day, or the day runs you.” I prefer the former.

Habit Five: They see the glass as half full.

American essayist and lecturer Ralph Waldo Emerson once said “A man is what he thinks all day long.” It follows that if you only see what’s wrong as you go about your eBay day, you’ll dwell entirely in negativity. And it’s extremely hard to grow and prosper when you’re stuck in a dark place.

Based on my experience, the biggest eBay rockstars exude positivity, even when things don’t go their way. They hurdle obstacles, learn from their experiences, and keep moving. They prosper in the face of adversity, like their entrepreneurial forefathers (and mothers). Think Steve Jobs, Walt Disney, and Barbara Corcoran.

Quote2b.jpg

Habit Six: They over-deliver.

Being an entrepreneur means constantly proving and improving yourself. It’s not enough to clock in and clock out, so to speak. You have to hustle, as serial entrepreneur and internet personality Gary Vaynerchuk might say. You don’t just think outside the box; rather, you light the box on fire and watch it go up in flames. Hyperbole aside, successful eBay sellers go the extra mile to leave a lasting impression with their customers.

A-list sellers know that the customer is always right even when they’re wrong. This is what generates repeat business and sets them apart from the competition for years to come. But over-delivering doesn’t just apply to customer service. This advice can be applied to every aspect of your eBay routine: taking photographs, writing product descriptions, packaging, etc.

Quote3b.jpg

Habit Seven: They roll with change.

We live in an age of constant flux. It used to be that technology changed every six months. With e-commerce, it feels like we’re adapting to new technological twists and turns on a monthly basis.

This is the new reality. And the eBay selling sensations that I’ve encountered don’t fight the inevitable. They embrace change and adapt along the way. When motivational guru Tony Robbins said “Always anticipate change in technology,” he wasn’t just offering up a helpful suggestion. He framed it as a do-or-die in the world of business. And, I don’t know about you, but when Tony talks, I listen.

So, that’s it. I don’t think any of these habits are ground-breaking or revolutionary. And, you don’t have to perfect all seven habits to reap the benefits. You can start slow or aggressively overhaul the way you conduct your business. It’s up to you.

We provide the platform, tools, and traffic. You get to decide how far you want to go. Although, I’m secretly hoping that someday you will be quoted in a piece about legendary entrepreneurs.

Feel free to share this article via email and on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and LinkedIn.

• Growing Your Business
  • Tips and Tools
21 Comments

Very true!  Time managment and learning to roll with the changes is key.

Absolutely - I agree with these tips 100% 

Great article, great daily reminder, great set of goals.

by pirate_snoopy · Scout

Excellent post. Very true.

by drxdragon · Pathfinder
drxdragon
Pathfinder

very well!

by hdps_corp · Scout
hdps_corp
Scout

why this is under "shipping" anyway?

kschoonover2012
Adventurer

Awesome nuggets of wisdom!  

by vintagecraze50 · Guide

Goal setting, a good business plan, and a whole lot of enthusiasm and positivity. That's the way of the Ebay successful entrepenuer. We have been with Ebay for well over 10 years. Seen a lot of changes, and we rolled with them. Our theme song--KEEP ON ROLLIN, KEEP ON ROLLIN, ROLL WITH THE CHANGES. REO SPEEDWAGON.

golden-winner
Rising Star

I totally agree with this article! It is hard at times but keeping positive helps a bunch!

Thanks for this article!

dbswans1975
Pathfinder

Also helps having a profitable product with good margins to make up for extra costs here

by survivorsedge · Scout

Wonderfulful points that I wish I had learned earlier than slowly on my own over the years.  Here's a couple that overlap what the article states that have become very beneficial for my mental health:

1. There are indeed awful buyers.  No matter what you do, you can not please them.  It is an unavoidable piece of doing business with strangers.  I have learned the hard way that I just need to move on as quickly as possible even when they need a good poke in the eye (metaphorically).  The "how dare you" or "no one treats me or my business" attitudes TRULY TRULY TRULY gain nothing and costs a great deal of energy, emotion, and feedback ratings.  I have looked at the unfair/unreasoabl situations as a puzzle, hoping to find the secret puzzle piece that results in the "lowest" loss.  Loss can be: time, money, or energy.  If I reply to the feedback (as well as the customer) with the most professional and understanding manner, I no longer look back at my response with "I wish I didn't say or do that. (All this from a US Marine of 10 years and former psychologist).

2. Never stop looking for technologies and procedures to decrease work and time per product sold.  Every time I have purchased a piece of hardware or software that streamlines, I have looked back and said "I wish I had done that years ago".  This includes a 4" x 6" label printer, bar code reader (to scan USPS or UPS tracking numbers right off the label, a workbench dedicated to shipping, large quantities of business cards, and a website that I own and manage 100% myself. [I recommend that if you plan on having a business that is not limited in how large it can grow, build your own website with Wordpress and WooCommerce and pay for the domain name and hosting yourself. In MY OPINION, that avoids being held hostage by a bundled web site company. Just MY PERSONAL opinion and no disrespect to the comapnies that offer total management to eBay sellers.]

3. Purchase and read 3rd party books about how to do eBay even if you think you are an expert.  One new idea from a $10-25 book can save or make you $$$ in a short time.  One older wonderful book (many ideas outdated with eBay changes) is "eBay the Smart Way" by Sinclair.  You don't have to read the books from cover to cover. Just check topics that are currently relevant.  

4. Get involved with SCORE for free advice and guidance from experienced business folks. SCORE is a nonprofit association dedicated to helping small businesses get off the ground, grow and achieve their goals through education and mentorship. We have been doing this for over fifty years.

Oops... too long. Smiley Wink 

soranagallery
Pathfinder

I like this post because it is inspiring.Cat Happy

halfmoon28a
Pathfinder

So very true.  Time management is the key.

lisaloosshop
Rising Star

Very good article. Thanks.

by warrenshobbies · Guide

Nice post but where are the "highly effective ebay sellers" comments?

Most sellers understand ebay is not business as usuall. Many larger companies understand that also as they have came and left or are rated as very poor ebay sellers.

mixedbagofgoods
Adventurer

Great advice!

myclutteredcoop
Adventurer

Time management is the issue I'm dealing with right now. I'am working on that though. At first this was just a way to make a little extra money but now Iam totally addicted to Ebay. I plan on letting those people who distract me know that this is a job and when I am working I am not available! This is a new year and I have new goals for my Ebay business. Great advice!!

waynbutle_81
Pathfinder

First off , thank you all for the awesome tips and strategy ideas. I have been selling on ebay for a little over a year now. Through out this time I have learned that hustling and working hard is the way to go. Be sure to have the desire to make your business grow and stick with it. It is an awesome feeling when you see the progress you make when you work hard , and dedicate yourself to this awesome business opportunity. Ebay makes this all possible for us with this awesome website , so we need to take advantage. Customer relations is a key to making your business a success. Always be sure that your customers are happy with every transaction. An ebay store is a great addition to any seller account as you will receive many benefits from it. I hope this helps you all out. Believe in yourself and make your business happen.

thai.shop11
Pathfinder

Great to read this

creationsbyu
Adventurer

Great information!  Time Management is definately challenge.  Any ideas on ways to improve on time management? I definately struggle with this!

lglasslinda
Adventurer

Extremely helpful article!  I wrote a few of the inspirational quotes down and plan to post them in my office to keep my energy up and my focus on!

by 20tlc11 · Rising Star
20tlc11
Rising Star

For sure going to try some of the habits mentioned