Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our 2017 Game Plan for Seller Success

Share Post
Executive
Executive
Last Edited 09:16:49 AM

BobKupbens2.jpg

eBay’s job is, and has always been, to seamlessly connect buyers and sellers. Our position as a marketplace is one of the things I love most about being here, and I believe that marketplaces like ours are best positioned to deliver what today’s consumer wants. But in today’s intensely competitive commerce landscape, consumer expectations are higher than ever and we all have work to do to ensure we stay ahead of the curve.

The good news is we’ve got momentum at eBay right now: we made great progress last year. We began investing more of our marketing dollars in the places where buyers start their shopping journey, introduced great new selling tools, and made our seller performance standards more objective. This year, we are continuing to build on that foundation with a focus on helping you accelerate your business.

In 2017, we plan to invest in three areas, and you’ll hear us talk about these throughout the year. In fact, they will be spotlighted at our (now annual!!) eBay OPEN celebration this year. Mark your calendars for July 25-27 in Las Vegas and look for more details soon – we really hope to see you there.

ebay open crowd.png

In the meantime, I wanted to take a moment to walk you through these three focus areas and offer up a bit of a sneak peek into our plans this year:

Delivering the reach and velocity you asked for. This is the number one thing we hear from our sellers: you want more buyers, more predictable sales. There are several areas we plan to invest in this year to deliver those results:

• Being the place where the world shops first. That means more marketing at the start of the buyer journey, and more investment in building excitement and confidence in the eBay brand. You saw that in our TV campaigns in 2016 – this year, we intend to dial it up. We’re also investing more in marketing tools for you, to help you get better visibility for your listings.
  • An exciting, intuitive shopping experience. We talked to you a lot last year about the importance of structured data and the new and expanded eBay catalog in reshaping the customer experience. Thanks in no small part to your participation, we’re now delivering easier browsing, more product reviews, and pages optimized to get your listings found by more eager buyers. With a focus on our buyers’ favorite channel – mobile. And that’s just the beginning.
  • The delivery and returns experiences that consumers expect. Our goal is to make shipping and returns easier for you to manage. We plan to roll out new tools that enable you to provide more accurate—and competitive—delivery time estimates. We’ll also be introducing new ways to recognize and reward sellers who are consistently delivering. We also intend to start taking a stronger stance on the kinds of experiences that keep buyers from coming back—as well as protect you, our sellers, from buyers who take unfair advantage of returns.

Making selling easier. We are focused on two major priorities to make selling on eBay easier:

• Tools to help you manage and grow your business. We introduced Seller Hub and our new APIs last year. This year, we will be adding great new features to both, and will also be introducing new tools that will help you promote and get more visibility for your stores and listings. Also, look for more premium placements dedicated to your promoted listings to keep interested buyers on eBay.
  • More choice, more options and more flexibility. In 2017, we’ll be offering up new ways for you to choose services that are customized to your business. In the near term, you’ll see us doing things to enhance the eBay Stores experience, and in the longer term, giving you more options and ways to grow with us.

Being strong and reliable partners. That starts and ends with not competing with you. It’s who we’ve always been and that won’t change. Areas we plan to lean into this year include:

• Ensuring you are operating in a protected ecosystem. We made significant progress on seller performance standards last year – ensuring that our policies are consistent, fair, and predictable. Thousands of customer service agents are now on board to support you. This year, we’ll continue to build on that foundation.
  • Providing insightful tools you won’t find in any other marketplace. Having the inventory buyers are looking for will be a top priority for us this year. To help you cash in, we’ll be doing even more to keep you up-to-date on what’s in demand, and at what price.

So, that’s the at-a-glance version of our plan—with you and your success right at the center.

We’ll keep you updated throughout the year to put this plan into action.

Every change that is coming is intended to drive our collective success. When you win, we win, and I couldn’t be more excited about what this year will bring.

• Growing Your Business
79 Comments
hubcapjoes
Thrill-Seeker

I am looking forward to seeing all my fellow sellers in Las Vegas July 25 to the 27th. Rock on people and make some sales 💰💰

harleyglasses
Thrill-Seeker

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by lornajanescosignment · Adventurer | Updated

So excited! I went last year and let me tell you money well spent! You will learn and connect with more people than you ever thought of! This is a great business investment and I will not miss it again this year.  Start saving now and go! Worth every penny! You will come home to your business as a new person energized, ready to make changes and work harder! 

by alexj* · Adventurer
alexj*
Adventurer

These are awesome updates you are making! I love the Seller Hub, and all of the cool features it has that the All Selling page doesn't.All of these things are awesome, and I can't wait for them to start.

by clubred97 · Adventurer
clubred97
Adventurer

I looking forward to another great eBay event. I love to mingle with fellow sellers, chat with eBay employees and just soak in everything that is eBay! Already put it on my calendar. See you all there!

by ebetsy · Guide | Updated
ebetsy
Guide

Just shared the 2017 eBay OPEN dates with the eBay Radio community -- Vegas, babee! Not to be missed.

Great to read this interesting preview of eBay's road map, plus now I can make plans for this year's eBay OPEN...including my 2017 eBay hair! ;)

blueberrysparkle
Adventurer

Looking forward to details.

by alexj* · Adventurer
alexj*
Adventurer

Just shared the 2017 eBay OPEN dates with the eBay Radio community -- Vegas, babee! Not to be missed.

For those of you who don't know how to find it, the eBay Radio group is at http://community.ebay.com/t5/eBay-Radio/gp-p/g-232. :)

thebookkiosk
Trailblazer

So excited about Ebay Open this year. I attended last year and it was fabulous. Ebay events continue to exceed my expectations. I"m also very pleased with the changes Ebay has been implementing for sellers. My sales continue to climb. Thank You Ebay !

thai.shop11
Pathfinder

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a great business

Great to read this:smileyhappy:

vintagecraze50
Trailblazer

Whoo Hoo!!!!! I'm encouraged. Needed to read this for that extra boost in confidence. Thank You Bob. What a great post!

jammin_recordings_usa
Rising Star

Vegas in the middle of summer?  Pass.

by lotstopickfrom · Scout | Updated

Awesome ! I think I am going on 18 years selling on ebay and buying a bit too.. hope to continue for many years to come .. Things have gotten easier over the years, I especially like being able to call up and talk to very helpful staff .. 

by ahaynekk-0 · Pathfinder
ahaynekk-0
Pathfinder

Wow really, how about focusing on ERROR CORRECTION?!!!

Things like these:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Glitch-DU-JOUR-Part-2/m-p/26626561

Here, let me repeat:

How about FIX THE ERRORS!!!

by mewmewstreasuretrove · Adventurer | Updated

I've been selling on Ebay for almost 20 years and I do well on both my sites, have done much better in the past though.  This has me concerned now:  "Being the place where the world shops first".    That would be AMAZON....that's where the world goes to shop first.  Please stop trying to compete with Amazon.  It ain't going to happen, and yes I meant to say "ain't". 

vintagecraze50
Trailblazer

Ebay does not want to be Amazon. Devin Wenig specifically stated that issue in a video I watched with him a few months ago. And, the world of Amazon has great competition with Ebay on a lot of merchandise, and, in some cases better prices and more selection. Watch out Amazon, Ebay is gonna get cha!.

wallpaper10
Rising Star

Looking forward to the new programs - thank you,  I do think ebay should look at the amount of time a seller has been on ebay when evaluating their top seller status.  Also look at the product they sell as an example a seller selling a fashion product will get more returns than selling computer parts because color in a picture on a monitor varies and thus the buyer can't use it so they return it.

by tomy_iphot · Adventurer
tomy_iphot
Adventurer

So far what I am looking at is a rift between seller's and buyer's rights which is pushing a "Big Box Store" menality at ebay.  The new policies and upgrades are great for single run volume sellers of new inventory, it has become appreciably more difficult for used, vintage, and antique sellers to deal with the quagmire of return policy.  Ebay gained its historic popularity by destroying the regional markets which governed antiques and collectibles by providing a place that sellers and buyers could see national and then international trends in their market of interest.  This continued chase to dethrone Amazon may be successful but is also exposing the used market to other sales venues, as sellers become tired of the "one size fits all" mentallity of ebay's current directorship.  Even E-Drop type locations have begun using Craiglist, Amazon, and a myriad of other venues with ebay falling from being the only service used to the third or fourth choice.  A responsible management would investigate the root cause of these losses and rectify the situation before further market share loss is incurred.

by carlmarxx · Guide
carlmarxx
Guide

Ebay needs to stop wanting to be a cheap copy of amazon !  The New Ceo  has not moved fast enough  to end that thinking .

by berryfreak · Adventurer
berryfreak
Adventurer

I love selling and buying on eBay! And yes, smaller sellers are important, too! A lot of us sell one of a kind items that have made eBay THE place to find the unique and unusual.

becknhaleboutique
Adventurer

Last year was our first year going to an Ebay event. It was money well spent!!. Not only was it great listening to and meeting those who work for and run Ebay The classes that were offered for us to take were fantastic!!!

We also were able to meet face to face an amazing group of people who are a daily part of our Ebay/ FB life. Jason T Smith's FB group The Thrifting  Board.

The entire weekend was such a great experience . Ebay knows how to throw a party!!!

We are looking forward to doing this again at the end of July!!!

See you all there!!!!

Kim Gordon & Lee Quinones

Beck N Hale 

ronaldchumpmoney
Pathfinder

Thanks Marie, Vicky, what up Pineapple!!

by maypato1 · Enthusiast
maypato1
Enthusiast

That is Awsome!I am just started with retail great aticle. full of info.

http://elitelifestylesgroup.com

http://multibuyworldreview.com

theheadphonecompany
Trailblazer

The ONLY show that eBay SHOULD HAVE attended in Vegas was CES, which they have missed for the last few years. In fact the last time they were there, they had a small booth in the North Hall, REFUSED to talk to sellers and had a banner that said "manufactorers please let your dealers sell your items on eBay". EVERYONE laughed, I cried (for the future of eBay) and then POOF, eBay was gone.

THIS year, Amazon showed up, had 12 private meeting suites (they didnt charge you to show up like eBay OPEN does) and they announced that at least 4 manufactorers were integrating Alexa into their products ... and eBay was MIA.

As for eBay OPEN, I can get all the eBay cheerleading I can stand, HERE for free, no need to go to Vegas in the summer. If I wanted to go to Vegas in the summer - Id go to SEMA or the Baby & Children Show, not eBay OPEN.

"We talked to you a lot last year about the importance of structured data and the new and expanded eBay catalog in reshaping the customer experience" ... yes and eBay trotted out a certain employee, who cried a river about "structored data" and told everyone who would listen how the world would end if you didnt enter in UPC codes, then went on to ban listings that didnt have them. Meanwhile (at that OTHER first place that people start to shop) when you list an item in an ASIN, you dont need to put in UPC codes.

eBays catalog is RIDDLED with errors and missing items, but eBay would rather put money in a trust overseas or pay out multimillion dollar golden parachutes then lisence Icecat or upcitemdb.com both which have pictures and structored data ... aka leave sellers alone.

"The delivery and returns experiences that consumers expect." maybe MYOB and learn how to be a fair and impartial platform. No one really asked eBay to stick its nose in where it doesnt belong, but if you are going to be judge jury and exocusioner - at least "pretend" to be fair. Fake SNADs, rude condisending CS employees, **bleep** lines like "takeing losses is to be expected - here take one for the team" .... eBay (in a NY Minute)  would put someone in collection for not paying THEIR seller fees - yet its ok to help buyers steal from sellers? Try buying a 55" LCD tv in Walmart and returning an empty box - see how far that gets you before the cops are called in. Stealing from sellers is just as bad as stealing from buyers. (Oh and since most eBay employeed have little to no ecommerce experience - 14 days, at max 30  for retured is MORE then enough).

"ensuring that our policies are consistent, fair, and predictable" ... only in never never land, where CS agents (the bules here and on the phone) tell you "what ever", just to get you off the phone. Since %99.9 of the time its for the buyer - its a short call to start with.

Why even have a page on Conditions for an items return if you REFUSE to follow it!? Why lie and pretend theres "SELLER PROTECTION" when there isnt any. You arent protected from defects, negatives, bad buyers, fakes and alot more - so hows that "policies thatare consistent, fair, and predictable" unless you mean that pushing everything on the seller is the consistancy eBay corp is striving for?!

If eBay wants to be sucessful in 2017, put 20 sellers of all stripes on the commitees that shape the rules - THAT will help. Having the rules made by 20 big city lawyers whos ONLY GOAL is to push it all on the seller, or to make sure eBay has to do as little as possible - is not going to get anyone anywhere.

Bob - Ive been an eBay seller since 1998, and in mail order/retail/etail/ecommerce/wholesale since 1984 - feel free to contact me when you are SERIOUS about turning eBay around - not just putting on a dog n pony show.

pinkrose442
Adventurer

As an underdog in ebay there is a sense of upper and lower split kind of a feeling simular to our great country USA...a prosperist group moving in the same direction will flow the whole mix of sellers into one thriving unit...some I get the sense or feeling will be lift behind with the changes up ahead.   Truthfully I've enjoyed and hated my process in selling.  One of my frequent questions was would you tell a friend to become a seller on ebay...my response was always with out hesitation NO!  Wisdom says one voice speaks for a hundred...sure hope my voice is wrong.  

What a crock o' s...

by pattycyn · Scout
pattycyn
Scout

As the venue/hotel has not been announced yet, I am hoping eBay will make arrangements with the hotel to offer rooms with 2 beds...last year 1 king bed was offered which makes it a bit too friendly for those of us that like to share the room/cost with another eBay friend but prefer to sleep alone!  Thanks eBay...looking forward to the official announcement and registration!  

by mr_lincoln · Rockstar
mr_lincoln
Rockstar

bob@ebay  Thank you for the positive post.  Regarding one area as it was put as follows:

"The delivery and returns experiences that consumers expect. Our goal is to make shipping and returns easier for you to manage. We plan to roll out new tools that enable you to provide more accurate—and competitive—delivery time estimates. We’ll also be introducing new ways to recognize and reward sellers who are consistently delivering. We also intend to start taking a stronger stance on the kinds of experiences that keep buyers from coming back—as well as protect you, our sellers, from buyers who take unfair advantage of returns."

While I am encouraged by what the plan for the Selling part of the eBay venue I would be additionally encoraged if equal effort were put in to addressing both Seller and Buyer scams whereby both type members lose items or money by dishonest people.  There are some common sense things eBay could do to cut down on these occurances and "deterence" would then help cut down on them further by members not trying them in the first place knowing they stand a good chance of getting caught. 

by aaeasales · Adventurer
aaeasales
Adventurer

For starters, how about letting sellers rate buyers the same way that buyers are able to. Being able to leave negative feedback on buyers would improve things quite a bit and limit the ammount of cheats and criminals who abuse the ebay and paypal system. I see this like you have limited rights for sellers and last I checked we pay ALL the fees here on ebay.

alpine*ade
Rising Star

I've been an eBay top rated seller with 100% positive feedback for over 10 years. The Chinese sellers are killing U.S. sales. You see 5 pages of Chinese items before you even get to the American ones because we can't compete with their low cost shipping and cheap items. I create earrings and my LOWEST postage cost alone - not counting packaging r cost of item -  is $2.61. How on earth can I compete with earrings at below a dollar with FREE shipping from China? I have seen a huge difference since the Chinese market exploded on eBay. You still make money on their listings while U.S. sales dive. We need SOME advantage here.

by donad_ki · Adventurer
donad_ki
Adventurer

The United Nations UPU rate for China needs to be looked at. The rate they get is actually hurting American online sellers. It creates a unfair market place and from my understanding it's something that congress needs to look into. I may be wrong but this is my general take on the China cheap shipping question. 

I look forward to another successful year doing business on eBay. 

Have faith, work hard and be honest! :) 

chasearooauctions
Adventurer

"Thousands of customer service agents are now on board to support you"...Bob, I must be calling the wrong customer service number. It's more like " These five customer service agents are on board to support you,... the other thousand agents will just repeat your name frequently during the call, tell you how they understand, but cannot help you." 

vintagecraze50
Trailblazer

The customer service agents have been very helpful. Some who answer the calls are not in the position to make any decisions and they foreward you to another department where your issue can be dealt with more efficiently. That's our experience. Wait times are minimal for us.

So how much are the tickets!??

melissaandmarlo
Adventurer

Please, please, please think about having an Ebay open event on the East coast. I would love to attend but Vegas is just too far for me, and I am sure many others.

robertroweii
Rising Star

Sounds great, how much is the event this year. First time going.

by carlmarxx · Guide
carlmarxx
Guide

Not sure how ebay is going to deal with return abuse  as claim in up comming new policy ,Since there is talk of 90 return  for TRS +  discount .  I yet to see them talk about rolling out a new policy to deal with fake snads ,which is part of retail return buyer fraud problem.   Those of us that are second market dealers have right to limit buyer returns  to 15 days or less too No returns ! As stated in both state and federal consumer  merchant rights statues . In fact they both state that buyers don't have right to return anytime they want . And most have proof said Item did not meet intented use being sold for ! Lacking reading before buying item doesn't count for Snad  but exchange or store credit or refund if stated in merchant return policy and is same for online market also.

by jamat2015 · Adventurer
jamat2015
Adventurer

When I first started eBay it was from home and just for pocket change. Well after two years I think it more than that, now. I still have alot to learn and most what i learned comes from experience. I not sure what this gathering intakes, but I want to go and see how I can transition for a home business to a warehouse ecommerce that can stand the test of time. 

drakester304
Adventurer

Most people that I know that buy from eBay don't care if its from eBay, they care that they can safely get what they are looking for.  The notion of "building the eBay brand" should be substituted for "building our sellers brands!"  I see eBay as a tool, just like a table at a flea market, an international sized flea market perhaps, but a flea market.  eBay needs to decide if it is an Amazon wanna-be, or if it is a glorified flea market, like it started out being.  I don't have the finances to build an import business, even if China dropped of the face of the earth, but I sympathize with those that have unfairly suffered at the hands of the globalists.

I also think the long return policies should only pertain to new product and not used.  I don't get to go back to a flea market table and return that $10 inkjet just because it leaked all over my car seat on the trip home (true story).  It should be Caveat Emptor as true trade used to be.

by mr_lincoln · Rockstar
mr_lincoln
Rockstar

Does anyone know why the Op does not reply to any comments on their thread?  Just curious ...

by jenny.hot · Adventurer
jenny.hot
Adventurer
Being a ebayer over 10 years,I have take attention to every change from ebay.Ebay should make itself more competitive outside its own website and should do something to avoid itself shortage,like this,it will get more reputation and visibility and get more market,not just do some change at home,also let ebay show itself fewtures and advanatge more clearly.If you get more buyers from other market,you will get more money as well.
by carlmarxx · Guide
carlmarxx
Guide

Drake ;  eBay still has in their UA in two places,"They Claim Just A Venue"  Not Only that  the  Purchase section also states both Ca. and Ut.  Contract law ! That seller can  set terns of  transfer owner  ship over to the buyer .   " So their Claim of Controled market  place!" Is all **bleep**  .  Since  they have Just A Venue  as big safe guard .

by lerchtoys · Adventurer
lerchtoys
Adventurer

What a total CROCK!  Ebay does not, and never will, care about sellers!  Ebay constantly screws with us - never protects us from bad buyers - constantly raises fee's - has customer service agents who have no clue - and I could go on and on!  This comment will never be allowed to be seen by anyone - and there is no one at ebay that has the balls to contact me personally to discuss these problems!

by lerchtoys · Adventurer
lerchtoys
Adventurer

What a total CROCK!  Ebay does not, and never will, care about sellers!  Ebay constantly screws with us - never protects us from bad buyers - constantly raises fee's - has customer service agents who have no clue - and I could go on and on!  This comment will never be allowed to be seen by anyone - and there is no one at ebay that has the balls to contact me personally to discuss these problems!

by gac-stop · Adventurer
gac-stop
Adventurer

I expect to see improvent in late shipment defect rate. This doesnt sound fair enough. Though I ship my iitme on time. Sometimes seller receive them couple dasy later than expected. Once carrier pick up the pakage, I got no control over delivery. Why should I get penalise for not delivering package on time which is completly out of my control. This is not fair to honest seller like me. 

Improvement is badly needed on late shipment defect rate.

deadonsurplus
Adventurer

what a load, most of these wishy washy heavily pro comments are paid ebay staff, when they have no sales at all claming to be a seller with no detailed seller feedback after 2-5 years and one guy had only 1 feedback and said he has been selling for years, another said whe hopes to turn her home business into a warehouse and has over 3400 items listed, out of your home my but, EBAY you must be stupid to think we are as dumb as your current ideas when your paid people have 1 feedback but have commented in forums as a admin or whatever 1300 times take that smoke yourself i dont want it

PS where is amazons call centers Philipeans india, no they are here, and you only care to here from massive sellers, not even a  store seller just last week i had one of your **bleep** phone reps in minilla when i said i had a store and there were massive repeated glitches she said i only had a basic store, well i pay my fees for it to run right not to be given a ration of **bleep** and told guess what you still pay full price for sub-par results, more than half of business is elsewhere now when it wasnt before, and if you keep it up BOB i will move the rest too!

by warlokk75 · Adventurer
warlokk75
Adventurer

Excited! DIdn't get to go last year, but looking forward to me and the hubby going this year together. It will be a great getaway and learning experience. I have heard nothing but praise from the folks I know who went last year. Let us know more ASAP!

Rockstar

bobby van....make me laugh

vintagecraze50
Trailblazer

In response to the comment about those of us who made positive comments--Many of us would never comment here on a seller account. Many who have posted positively ARE having very positive experiences on Ebay. My wish is that all of us this year will see improvements that will help us grow, work in a safer environment, yes, meaning as Mr Lincoln posted, some method to deter fraud returns in some way. I wish everyone the best this year. Keep striving to meet your goals.

by imadocent · Guide | Updated
imadocent
Guide

eBay’s job is, and has always been, to seamlessly connect buyers and sellers. Our position as a marketplace is one of the things I love most about being here, and I believe that marketplaces like ours are best positioned to deliver what today’s consumer wants. But in today’s intensely competitive commerce landscape, consumer expectations are higher than ever and we all have work to do to ensure we stay ahead of the curve.

The good news is we’ve got momentum at eBay right now: we made great progress last year. We began investing more of our marketing dollars in the places where buyers start their shopping journey, introduced great new selling tools, and made our seller performance standards more objective. This year, we are continuing to build on that foundation with a focus on helping you accelerate your business.

In 2017, we plan to invest in three areas, and you’ll hear us talk about these throughout the year. In fact, they will be spotlighted at our (now annual!!) eBay OPEN celebration this year. Mark your calendars for July 25-27 in Las Vegas and look for more details soon – we really hope to see you there. .

bob@ebay

Sorry to spoil your weekend, well more likely your Monday afternoon, But why does IT take till the end of July to let the members know how you are investing for them this year, I mean the year will only have 5 months left when you will be letting them in on your secret and IT sounds like IF  only they attend a Paid event.  IF ebay has started gaining momentum, then why is ebay holding back on what IT seems is important info that would keep the momentum going forward?

We began investing more of our marketing dollars in the places where buyers start their shopping journey. Did ebay purchase a hefty amount of google stock?