Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Retail Moments and Buyer Types to Target in January

Share Post
Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger
Last Edited 11:49:40 AM

FitnessGirl_600.jpg

Retail moments –  or, the selling opportunities that occur throughout the year – have been around a long time. Some happen like clockwork, such as holiday, Valentine’s Day, and Halloween. While others are spontaneously born out of major pop culture events – think, Beyonce’s release of Lemonade, the new Harry Potter movie, and the iPhone 7 launch .

Well, now we’re seeing even more opportunity when it comes to retail moments. Using historical eBay data, we’ve identified new buying behaviors that happen outside of the calendar holidays and cultural movements. They’re seasonal retail moments, and they’re best illustrated when categorized by buyer type. So let’s get to know some of your January buyers:

The new year, new me-ers

Mere hours after the last snickerdoodle or gulp of champagne, millions set out to adopt a militaristic regimen that involves buying new workout clothing, gadgets, equipment, and kitchen appliances destined to blend up all those raw vegetables they plan to consume.

However, you’ll notice in the coming weeks that our ad campaign for January isn’t limited to driving resolution-maker traffic to eBay. Rather, we call out January as the perfect opportunity to cultivate one’s true self, whether that involves a yoga mat or a power tool. As a result, shoppers will come to eBay for everything they need to feed their passion for exercise, music, art, cooking, and everything in between.

FitnessGirl_Interior_600.jpg

The self-gifters

This buyer emerges every January. Some say they didn’t get what they wanted for Christmas and are now taking matters into their own hands. Others claim that they’re looking for bargains, as many retailers historically liquidate slow-moving merchandise in January to make room for fresh inventory.

Either way, some of them will be shopping for the very same items that we saw trending for holiday, and others will be in search of deep-discounts on everyday necessities: appliances, apparel, auto parts, etc.

The cold-weather dwellers

These buyers are hunkering down for the winter or planning a cold-weather vacation. As a result, they’ll be buying up cold-weather clothing, supplies, and winter sports equipment.

Now that you’re better acquainted with some of the buyer types browsing on eBay in January, as well as what they’ll be looking for, the next step is to make sure you have relevant items listed. After that, you can create attractive promotions that speak to your buyer type (example: 10% off Cold-Weather Apparel), and promote your special offers on your social media channels. If you’re really motivated, you can also use promoted listings to get more visibility for specific items, and create collections based on these buyer types (example: New Year, New Me).

It’s a good thing you’re not taking a vacation in January, right?

Will you be listing anything for these buyer types? Let us know in the comments below, and feel free to share this article with your eBay peers via email and on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and LinkedIn.

21 Comments
by vintagecraze50 · Guide

You forgot to mention that many are also waiting to use their Ebay bucks to buy after christmas when the bucks become active.

shana_champion wrote:

FitnessGirl_600.jpg

Retail moments –  or, the selling opportunities that occur throughout the year – have been around a long time. Some happen like clockwork, such as holiday, Valentine’s Day, and Halloween. While others are spontaneously born out of major pop culture events – think, Beyonce’s release of Lemonade, the new Harry Potter movie, and the iPhone 7 launch .

Well, now we’re seeing even more opportunity when it comes to retail moments. Using historical eBay data, we’ve identified new buying behaviors that happen outside of the calendar holidays and cultural movements. They’re seasonal retail moments, and they’re best illustrated when categorized by buyer type. So let’s get to know some of your January buyers:

The new year, new me-ers

Mere hours after the last snickerdoodle or gulp of champagne, millions set out to adopt a militaristic regimen that involves buying new workout clothing, gadgets, equipment, and kitchen appliances destined to blend up all those raw vegetables they plan to consume.

However, you’ll notice in the coming weeks that our ad campaign for January isn’t limited to driving resolution-maker traffic to eBay. Rather, we call out January as the perfect opportunity to cultivate one’s true self, whether that involves a yoga mat or a power tool. As a result, shoppers will come to eBay for everything they need to feed their passion for exercise, music, art, cooking, and everything in between.

FitnessGirl_Interior_600.jpg

The self-gifters

This buyer emerges every January. Some say they didn’t get what they wanted for Christmas and are now taking matters into their own hands. Others claim that they’re looking for bargains, as many retailers historically liquidate slow-moving merchandise in January to make room for fresh inventory.

Either way, some of them will be shopping for the very same items that we saw trending for holiday, and others will be in search of deep-discounts on everyday necessities: appliances, apparel, auto parts, etc.

The cold-weather dwellers

These buyers are hunkering down for the winter or planning a cold-weather vacation. As a result, they’ll be buying up cold-weather clothing, supplies, and winter sports equipment.

Now that you’re better acquainted with some of the buyer types browsing on eBay in January, as well as what they’ll be looking for, the next step is to make sure you have relevant items listed. After that, you can create attractive promotions that speak to your buyer type (example: 10% off Cold-Weather Apparel), and promote your special offers on your social media channels. If you’re really motivated, you can also use promoted listings to get more visibility for specific items, and create collections based on these buyer types (example: New Year, New Me).

It’s a good thing you’re not taking a vacation in January, right?

Will you be listing anything for these buyer types? Let us know in the comments below, and feel free to share this article with your eBay peers via email and on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and LinkedIn.

by vintagecraze50 · Guide

Also, all the Ebay gift cards that people received for gifts. Whoo Hoo! here they come!

by Verified Blogger | Updated
Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger

Agreed, @vintagecraze50! You'll be seeing a post about eBay gifts cards on eBay for Business Facebook. Shhh, you just got an editorial scoop.

sallyscellarstore
Adventurer

Don't forget about the lonely spenders that live in heavy snow areas...they will be looking for that 'something special' to entertain or cheer them up! Look for antiques and collectibles to do the trickSmiley Happy

by npatzer · Adventurer
npatzer
Adventurer

Don't forget, by January a lot of northerns are fed up with the cold and start planning trips south for warmer weather. Lighter clothing even swimsuits may be on there to get list. 

Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger

@sallyscellarstore and @npatzer, great points as well!

janet-enterprised
Adventurer

Good information for a new Ebayer thanks.

Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger

Awesome, @janet-enterprised! Welcome!

yesteryeartoday
Adventurer

Great Ideas and suggestions! Thanks so Much!!!!!  

Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger

You are welcome, @lynnn1974! Happy holidays.

essexestateservices
Adventurer

Shana, Right along the few comments on antiques and collectibles, we see a lot of activity in this category in the winter months. In past years our January and February sales volume 

People tend to focus on their hobbies and collections after the rush of the holidays are over and life calms down. They are adding items that family wouldn't dare try to gift to them for a holiday present.  If you need that one special coin or GI Joe or Hummel or comic book you don't risk asking a relative for it. You might get "something close" which isn't good enough.

Also, they are spending gift money and year end bonuses. Tax refunds start coming in too which provides an additional source of money to spend on the hobby.

Women are sewing, men are puttering in the workshop or garage so anything related to those hobbies are good sellers. 

So, Happy holidays and may the sales be with you in 2017!

corneraddiction
Adventurer

So how about those selling in eBay Motors? I seem to do well with UTV enclosures and snow moving parts and accessories.

by hughable · Adventurer
hughable
Adventurer

Thank you Essesestateservices for the info on after holiday collectibe buying.  Since that is the majority of what I sell I will prepare to list more in anticipation of increased traffic and hopefully, sales as well.

What is your suggestion for the best time to post new listings?

every2ndcounts
Adventurer

Cold weather always helps my sales. And I will definitely try the percentage off on sales

by kismetzeal · Adventurer
kismetzeal
Adventurer

Thanks for the tips.  It's nice to know January sales don't have to tank just because the "holidays" are over. 

Do you have any recommendations on posting times?  Are there benefits to posting at different times depending on the item? 

Feedback is appreciated from anyone who has experience with this.

Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger

Wow, all of you have provided such great tips! @kismetzeal there are lots of theories about when to start auctions and when to end them. For example, some sellers end auctions on Sunday evening as many buyers are available and on their devices at that time. But, if you're selling internationally, that advice doesn't apply. I'll let others weigh in with their tips. So much wisdom in this community. Happy holidays!

imperfectperfection
Adventurer

I am so glad there is not minimum on ebay buck anymore. I have lost a lot by not getting the minimum.

by vintige · Thrill-Seeker
vintige
Thrill-Seeker

I am so glad there is not minimum on ebay buck anymore. I have lost a lot by not getting the minimum.

Yes, but it is being cut in half. We who buy a lot of stuff are loosing a lot because of this.

by sodelight · Trailblazer
sodelight
Trailblazer

If your talking about January and cold weather sales, why is the selected photo featuring a girl sitting outside dressed like its 80! Quite amusing. It surely doesn't reflect the season.

Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger

Hi @sodelight! The first part of the post talks about the New Year-New Mers. They're the ones in the gym or yoga studio, sweating it out, wearing the scanty workout clothes. So, point is, this is not just about cold weather. If you live in a freezing climate, you still might want to consider selling items that someone in a warmer area might need. This girl probably lives in L.A.  Smiley Happy Happy New Year!

by sodelight · Trailblazer
sodelight
Trailblazer

Got it, but even LA is only 60 degrees. Florida is basically the only State where it's 80. A gal working out indoors would make more sense for this time of year and have much wider appeal considering the majority of population is experiencing cold weather. When I first saw the photo I thought this was an old blog, due to the content. Thanks for your info!