Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making the Connection: Our Spring Seller Update and Plans for 2017

Share Post
Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger
Last Edited 04:51:06 AM by News Team

RW9_022817_SocialResize_620x400_FINAL_ASSET.jpg

Two weeks ago, our Vice President of Seller Experience and Business-to-Consumer Selling, Bob Kupbens, detailed eBay’s Game Plan for Selling Success in 2017. It provides great insight into where we’re concentrating our efforts and energy to help grow your business.

Bob also offered a sneak peek at a number of the investments and changes we’re planning for the eBay selling experience through 2017 and beyond. Now, with today’s announcement of our 2017 Spring Seller Update, we wanted to give you even more details about those changes and how they fit into our focus areas for the year ahead.

We’re delivering the reach and velocity you asked for.

The number-one question we get from sellers is, “What’s eBay doing to help me get my items in front of more buyers?” That’s why we’re excited to tell you about two important updates we’ve made. Each is designed to help increase visibility for your listings, so you can capture more sales.

First, we’re making it easier to get your listings seen by more buyers, on some of the most viewed pages on our site. To do that, we’re removing third-party product listing ads from eBay View Item and Search Result pages. More good news: promoted listings are now available to all Top Rated Sellers and to help you get started, a $30 credit every quarter.

At the same time, the best special offers created using Promotions Manager will appear in search results within the eBay mobile app starting next month. That means more eyes on sellers' great deals from the millions of buyers (and growing!) who shop directly on their phones and tablets.

We’re making selling easier.

In addition to increased visibility, we’ve heard that you want us to make selling simple—so you can stay focused on the more important aspects of your business. That’s why we’re pleased to announce two new tools that let you manage the specifics of your shipping costs and handling times, so you can be more competitive on delivery dates and pricing.

We're strengthening our partnership.

As Bob says, it’s “who we’ve always been, and that won’t change.” We know a big part of that commitment is doing everything we can to keep buyers on eBay and bring more of them your way. We’re opening up our promoted listings advertising service to the thousands of you who are Top Rated Sellers and we’re removing third-party product listing ads. We want you to know we appreciate you, we’re here for you, and we’re always seeking new ways to help accelerate your success.

Of course, there’s much more on these and the other changes we’ve just announced in our 2017 Spring Seller Update, so be sure to get the full details. Then, please join us for one or more of the following events to learn more and get your questions answered:

We’re excited for the year—and much success—ahead. And we know that we only win when you win. Thank you for your hard work, your passion, and for selling on eBay!

Sincerely,

Your eBay Seller Team

• Growing Your Business
  • Tips and Tools
183 Comments
by alexj* · Adventurer
alexj*
Adventurer

I do like that you are getting rid of ads and replacing them with promoted listings. That will definitely make me think about using that.

by goodsfromny · Scout
goodsfromny
Scout

Great. Top rated discount has been reduced from 20% to 10%. Thanks Ebay! 

by antiquezar · Scout
antiquezar
Scout

Nothing really done to help the average seller.

How about adding an "up to 30 day" vacation option for sellers? We cannot always forecast emergency situations (floods, business emergencies, illness, etc.) that might cause a temporary seller closure. Things like this would really help. Other auction sites already do this. Why not eBay?

Thank you.

celeb-clippings
Thrill-Seeker

once again your making it more expensive to sell on ebay and as a thanks for all my hard work you are lowering my top rated discount i only make about a dollar or two per item this really hurts and all i get in return is a useless credit for shipping envelopes which i can buy for 1/5 of the price at sams and a usless credit for promoted listings

jessiesjunk
Adventurer

I would have like to see the removal of the ebay shipping fee AND do something about the outrageous international shipping USPS is charging. I've lost thousands of dollars the last 2 years because of it and the promotions can't help because being limited to US market sales are WAY down.

by mtwallet · Scout
mtwallet
Scout

eBay once again taking away from the average seller. Every Seller Update it's the same thing, couched in this euphemistic language to try to sell us on the "benefits" of their new updates, which are more-or-less meaningless to me. I'm just a one-man show selling a relatively low volume of collectable items each month, and for me, eBay constantly takes, takes, takes, takes. Each year eBay takes more true benefits away, as in the money that comes out of my profit margins in the forms of Top Rated Seller discounts, shipping discounts, fee/listing discounts, to line their pockets with more of it and please their shareholders. So frustrating...

If Ebay could push for subsidies for USPS international shipping like other countries have, it would be a huge help for US sellers and would drastically improve sales. I find considerable interest from international buyers but even first class international shipping is too expensive.

by 217mikel1 · Rising Star
217mikel1
Rising Star

No one asked for my ideas. First of all I think you need a place where we can ask questions, either by email, text or S phone call to a person who clearly speaks our language. You also need to have a place for individuals to sell and a separate place for businesses to sell. I hate looking for something and have it crowded with retail businesses. I also want my items listed for shipment to foreign countries without having to select it every time. 

I am VERY happy to hear that eBay is going to cut back on 3rd party ads; eBay should work just as hard for us as we do for them! eBay cuts their own throat (and ours) when a  buyer clicks on a 3rd party ad; we lose revenue and eBay loses on final value fees. If 3rd party people want to be on eBay, let them meet the same standards, and pay the same fees we sellers have to! eBay should stop trying to be Amazon, and let eBay be eBay. Let eBay adopt  our store's motto: Fair For One Is Fair For All. Let equal opportunity rule, level the playing field, fair play is the American way! As for the 'Vacation Settings' I agree; I had to shut down for a few days after the 2011 tornado in Alabama, we do  need to have two 'vacation' options; one, as is; another that is for emergencies, saying go ahead and buy IF you can wait on delivery. If I got sick and could not work, I would need a breather, but should not lose what I have worked so hard to get; Top Rated Seller badge. After 12 years of paying eBay fees, I should get some consideration - we sellers made eBay what it is. Seller innovations and creativity make the difference that gives eBay a special edge that other sites don't have. Also, phone support  should be improved. Some of us need  to be 'walked through' certain changes and processes or need answers quickly. If eBay wants profits, help us to improve and eBay's profits will improve. 

I am very concerned to learn about the newly announced planned increase in the Final Value Fees for Store subscribers (May 1, 2017) and about planned HUGE drop in the discount for Top Sellers from 20% to 10% (May 1, 2017). I certainly do not see commensurate value for the very high sales costs I am paying to eBay currently, let alone with the increases eBay will be imposing (difficulty reaching eBay customer support; sales history details going back only 90 days; problems on invoices that take weeks to resolve; sales dollars sequestered whenever a seller files a claim--even when frivolous and before any investigation proves it wrong; etc.). These planned higher costs certainly don't incentivize me to sell more with eBay and in fact motivate me to consider other market options for selling.

Very, very disappointing news from eBay.

by rusrie43 · Adventurer
rusrie43
Adventurer

Wonderful News For E-bay Sellers, that are Top Rated.

rusrie43

by bit2 · Rising Star
bit2
Rising Star

eBay doesn't do enough as far as non paying bidders.  More changes for us but at what cost??  Still be to seen!  We shouldn't be charged for shipping either as we make no profit on it and sometimes eBay doesn't get it right so it cost us more then too.

So I now have literally 1/2 as much incentive to be a TRS? Awesome. 

by squashboy1968 · Scout

So I work my butt off to provide great product and customer service, and maintain 100% feedback, and you're going to take another 1% of my gross sales?  It seems like the only ones making any money are eBay and the post office!  Then if I have a problem I have to talk to someone in the Phillipines who barely speaks English and is never held accountable.  Time to start doing more business on CraigsList and look into other options.

I just LOVE Ebay's explanation for lowering the Top Rated Seller discount from 20% to 10%:

"Why is eBay making these changes?

eBay Top Rated Sellers have told us they want more tools and options to grow their business. The changes we’re making reflect our ongoing investment in helping them do just that and to ensure the best marketplace health and competition."

Whichever Top Rated seller said "Please lower my discount by 50%, please raise your hand!!!"

Good grief, sellers don't seem to catch a break with Ebay anymore. :(

I've been selling on Ebay since 1998 - and it seems every year, it is made more and more difficult to make a profit because of Ebay's policy changes.  LOWERING THE DISCOUNT FROM 20% to 10%!  UNBELIEVABLE - and in exchange, we get a useless promotion credit!  WOW!  Just WOW!

by 7493kids · Adventurer
7493kids
Adventurer

Free listing fees would produce more items listed by the little man that does not have a store, but wants to sell collectibles and household items they no longer want.  Listing more would only help more items sold.  I also do not like fee on shipping costs.

by keme7730 · Scout
keme7730
Scout

I have to agree.  I am just one person trying to make some money so I can stay home with my children and home school them.  I work hard to maintain my top rated status so now they are going to give me a 10% discount instead of 20% plus charge me more in selling fees.  I don't see any benefit to these Changes for me and other people who are just trying to make a little money.  eBay and PayPal already take so much out of my profits it is truly rediculous.  The shipping envelope and advertising credits are completely useless to me.  

by debgponca · Trailblazer
debgponca
Trailblazer

EB fees just keep rising and rising and rising and my bottom line keeps dropping and dropping and dropping. A raise in fees?  Come on eBay, really?

$30 credit does not help resellers of vtg OOAK items.

Deb

by csnyrox401 · Adventurer
csnyrox401
Adventurer

Increasing fees and lowering the discount for top performers?  With help like that I won't be doing this much longer.  If you could at least run some decent promotions like you used to, I could make up the difference but you seem determined to make this more profitable for you and less profitable for sellers.  I was on the path to making this my full time job until recently, you keep making things worse.

As far as I can see if you are a small seller selling one of a kind items (which make up a HUGE percentage of Ebay) and you have done your job well, become a top rated seller and taken good care to give quality customer service...Ebay is making the statement that we are useless, unwanted and they prefer we go elsewhere. Ebay, you have decreased my discount from 20% to 10% and added some useless 30.00 discount for promoted listings which can ONLY be used when you sell multiple like items. You are taking good care of your big sellers and kicking us small sellers to the curb...AGAIN. This did not work for you in the past and its not going to work for you now. Your NOT Amazon, you will never be like Amazon because you were founded on the small seller...that is your market. Why can't you be happy with that and do that the best that you can? All you will do is make us go looking to sell elswhere and we will oblige.

by theshoein · Scout
theshoein
Scout

In a normal job, when you work hard, you get a pay raise every season.  When you sell on ebay, you get a pay dock, and then are asked to work even harder, for less money.   I just hope the treatment of us sellers keeps getting worse, so that when a competitive site pops up, the mass exodus of infuriated sellers sick of being bullied by the monopoly of eBay will be enough to sink this ship.

talisman778
Thrill-Seeker

I spoke with an ebay represenative a few months ago. She said ebay would be undergoing some major chages. She wouldn't elaborate. I don't see a lot of the sellers I used to see, selling similar items. They moved shop. Cheaper rent. Paying only for items that sell makes more sense. Ebay is becoming a ghost town. Major change, indeed! What a joke!

getmecollectiblesllc
Rising Star

Thank you ebay for giving me just enough of an extra push to start selling elsewhere. I guess my hard work and $26,000 in ebay fees paid each year are not quite enough, so you want to take another $3,000 or so. $3,000 is enough to push me to sell on Amazon, the exact company that you are now trying to emulate with your silly changes. 

dbmm-media
Trailblazer

wonder what their smoking when they come up with this nonsense.

someone must really want their golden parachute to kick in. 

by mandala555 · Adventurer
mandala555
Adventurer

I love you eBay but your fees are too many and too high, plus after the alloted "free" listings are used up it cost more money to add more listings, have to wait till the next month and the next alotment. Please consider offering some solutions to the sellers and all the fees they have to pay. 

ukulelemaker
Adventurer

I would really like to see the end to the discriminitory practice of allowing sellers to block shipment to Hawaii and Alaska. First class and Priority Flat Rate fees are the same country wide. Other methods of shipping can be calculated just like international or zone shipping. Mainland users can block Alaska and Hawaii from participating is auctions and Buy it Now items, but Hawaii residents can't block other states. Wake up Ebay. This is un-American.

by nelldepot · Adventurer
nelldepot
Adventurer

I've worked so hard for 5 years finding items posting them, sending them on time.. I have over 600 items with 100% good feedback .. and one day eBay decided to close my selling account I still don't know the reason..  they did this back in June 2016 ..  I have called many times and all they said us that if was closed there had to be a reason, but they can not find why it was closed.. they just deleted my 200 plus item I had posted..  anybody had something like this happen.. I need help.. I love what I was doing and I am a very responsible retired person..  I want to post my things again for sale which I have lots of items that I had accumulated..  somebody help..

retiredcharm
Adventurer

The reduction of our final value fee discount by 50% is awful.  Can we revolt somehow and overturn this ruling?  It is unfair.

djmovers99
Thrill-Seeker

I find this announcement very discouraging and disappointing...now I understand why there is no ebay radio show today...

by haranch · Rising Star
haranch
Rising Star

Here we go again, increasing fees.  I am just breaking even as it is. I am downsizing and selling a life time of collectibles.  With all the fees and price of a basic store subscription, I am just getting back what I paid for items, no profit.

EBAY IS RUN BY LIBERAL GREEDY MANAGEMENT.  THERE NEVER WILL BE HELP FOR THE SMALL MEDIUM SELLER AND IS ALL ABOUT THE BUYER.......THEY NEED TO REMEMER WITHOUT THESE SELLERS THERE ARE......NO  BUYERS!!  BEFORE THE NEW MANAGEMENT EBAY WAS RUN FAIRLY FOR EVERYONE.  MANY SELLERS RAN FROM EBAY WHEN THEY TOOK THE RIGHT OF SELLERS TO GIVE NEGITIVE FEEDBACK YET BAD BUYERS CONTINUE TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER AND STILL MAINTAINING A 100% FEEDBACK! SWEET!! THINGS WERE GREAT WHEN YAHOO HAD A AUCTION SITE BUT I HEARD (RUMOR?) THAT EBAY BOUGHT THEM OUT DOES MAKE SENSE.  THERE ARE ALTERNATE PLACES AND 1 SIMILAR TO EBAY WHERE YOU CAN SELL AND ALL HAVE EQUAL RIGHTS AND LOW FEES AND HAS BEEN AROUND FOR MANY YEARS. JUST GOGGLE AND YOU CAN FIND IT. I FEEL FOR YOU POOR GUYS WHO KILL YOURSELVES WORKING LIKE A DOG MEETING EBAY DEMANDS TO BECOME A "TOP SELLER" REALLY NOT A BIG DEAL BUT IF ITS YOU BAG.. I PERSONALLY DONT LIKE TO TOLD WHAT I NEED TO DO AND WHEN TO DO IT TO KNOW THAT I AM A TOP SELLER SO I DONT PLAY THAT GAME. NOW YOU GUYS DOING FOR LESS?? PERHAPS 1 DAY A RICH BUSSINESS MAN WILL BUY HIS OWN SITE THAT WE ALL CAN USE ON A FAIR AND EQUAL BASIS.

no_love_just_sets
Adventurer

Reducing our top rated seller fees & increasing our final value fees, isn't going to motivate us average sellers to do better. Instead it will open the door for us to look elsewhere to do business.

Remember, us sellers, have made eBay what it is today, not the shareholders! This is clearly a plan to increase eBay's profit margin & satisfy the people who publicly invest in this company.

by mcc1146 · Adventurer
mcc1146
Adventurer

WOW,  a 50% Hammer drop on TRS.  

Now I know Exactly what you think of the value of TRS, of Me,  and of all the work I do in the TRS program for the Buyers.    

And please ----  keep your "free" fluff  that is Never Ever Really Free to begin with.  

This is  not the Spring UPdate, it Is the Spring DOWNgrade.

by talisman778 · Thrill-Seeker | Updated
talisman778
Thrill-Seeker

Starting to wonder how many of my items belong to me, and how many belong to ebay!

by alexj* · Adventurer
alexj*
Adventurer

It's not worth it any more to be top rated...I just did it for fun and to get a tiny discount on my fees before...might as well change my handling times...

pappysmancave
Adventurer

So once again you screw over the Store owners. Thanks alot. 10% for busting your ass and being top rate and hiking fees. Maybe your CEO could take a pay cut so we could keep our discounts.

wyldflower002
Thrill-Seeker

I am a top rated seller and no one has ever asked my opinion, truly. Also reducing our discount from 20% to 10% and giving us an extra $5 in promoted listing credit is hardly a wash, not when I pay for an anchor store at almost $200 a month. This is not helping us, I am sorry ebay but I can tell you that no seller on ebay wanted our discount reduced by half. That is not helping us only you. Shame! 

celeb-clippings
Thrill-Seeker

does anyone know of a different website to sell on other than amazon which doesnt work the the seller of unique items it seems the only discounts ebay gives anymore is for people who sell iphones or name brand clothing i pay $800 a month in ebay fees already the incentive to ship same day is gone now why run myself ragged for a 10% discount

wyldflower002
Thrill-Seeker

I also find it terribly disturbing the amount of work that we have to do to retain the Top Rated Seller status and the hoops I know I jump through for ebay and my customers to keep my discount and now I am losing half of it to help me? I knew we were in upside down, opposite, make no sense land now but you don't have to join in ebay...you truly don't.

bricksntokens
Rising Star

These changes don't provide any meaningful benefits to me as a seller while increasing my transactional costs by more than 10%.  This is moving me one step closer to moving my web-based business to an independent website.  If Ebay wants to improve my seller experience, then consider implementing changes that reduce my transaction costs.

red_dragon_books
Adventurer

The only positive thing I see in this update is removal of 3rd party ads.

A larger credit for branded shipping supplies? Doesn't help me. I've probably got 2 years of eBay packing tape at this point. They just don't have boxes that I can use. I bought one set of boxes quite a while ago and I've used one. I see mostly books, they usually sell one or two to a buyer although sometimes more. I have a quite a few different sizes of boxes to hold books of various sizes without having to use lots and lots of peanuts around them. eBay doesn't offer any of the boxes I normally use. I'm not going to ship books in padded envelopes, the books get damaged much too frequently that way. I use up my credit to buy padded envelopes because at least I can use them to fill out the top of the boxes I ship in instead of using more peanuts.

Way won't eBay pass on the additional shipping discount TRS get to buyers? I might get more international sales if international buyers could see the correct shipping cost instead of the inflated standard rates.

For that matter, why doesn't eBay give all sellers the more discounted postage rates. It would seem to me that lower shipping costs would create more sales. I just wish media rate got a discount as most of my domestic shipping is media mail (at least we get free tracking now on media so that is a little savings).

I would also like to see a vacation setting that would keep our items up for sale but buyers would be asked when buying 'This seller is currently away, your purchase would ship mm/dd/yy, do you wish to continue?'. I used to leave my items up for sale with an 'I'm away' message when I was on vacation or traveling to get more books autographed, I never had a problem with buyers being upset. With the TRS program, I had to give that up to not lose my rating. A week or two weeks of no sales hurts.

I should have downgraded my store subscription from anchor to the middle one the last time my year commitment was up, the anchor store subscription fee is a pretty high percentage of my sales for the month. Before the hugh jump in anchor store fee it worked for me (I have close to 5,000 items up for sale) but it no longer does.

by suznmer · Adventurer
suznmer
Adventurer

wow, just read all the comments... wonder if  Ebay will ?  We're TRS too, and this constant tightening of the screws is getting very very old!  Time to start looking to sell elsewhere..... 

majesticfire
Adventurer

This will probably be the year that I finally say enough and good riddance. More fee increases under the guise that it is for our own good.Hey we will give you a useless 30 dollar credit you just gives us hundreds of dollars in lost fee discounts. Makes sense to me.This just eats at my margins even more very little reason to keep selling here.Kind of sad used to be  a fun place.Last one to leave please turn out the lights.

darkprinceofjazz
Adventurer

This is another load of bovine scatology disguised as some humanitarian effort for us sellers. I have moved most of my eBay stuff to other venues long ago...that added shipping FVF was the last straw for me. I was so insulted by that load of garbage that I went elsewhere. Facebook yardsales and Craig's List filled in the gaps nicely. 

10% discount is so rich, next update it'll be 0% I'm sure. I quit worrying about that impossible TRS stuff long ago. Still 100% feedback, I do my customers right... blah blah blah.....

You have without a doubt the WORST customer service I have ever experienced...so bad I don't even bother to call in any more. The agents are completely useless... when you demand a supervisor they act as if they don't know what that is. A joke.

Stores are such a rip off now...way over priced!!!

hn7559.grlcku3
Enthusiast

The Average seller still must strugle with all the extr FEES !!!!

pappysmancave
Adventurer

btw, when I used there useless promotional boxes I WAS CHARGED FOR THEM! I had to get them to refund my fees to get my money back.

by stamplotsforyou · Adventurer | Updated
stamplotsforyou
Adventurer

Why not speak the truth?  You are raising fees to please your stockholders.  The truth is sellers get no benefits whatsoever from more money being taken out of their pockets...  This is why my listings here are few but are plentiful on ETSY!

talisman778
Thrill-Seeker

I am a Top Rated Seller. The 20% discount does help out quite a bit when your end of the month bill rolls around. I was an Anchor store until the spring updates last year. They increased the subscription rates so much I had to downgrade to the middle level. The listing fees are still steap. I started moving inventory mid last year off of ebay. It's finally starting to pickup a little on the other site. Fees are cheaper. I'm also seeing others who have done the same in the category I mainly sell in. What incenstive is ebay providing it's sellers to stay by reducing them and making them harder to aquire?

by barbsic · Adventurer
barbsic
Adventurer

I love how ebay portrays they're helping the average seller.

You're lowering discounts on your most conscientous sellers and charging your bad sellers more.

Who is this helping besides ebay..... no-one but your competing sites.

Wise up ebay before you lose all your sellers.

by minnegan · Adventurer
minnegan
Adventurer

20% to 10%, at that discount its now worth more cost effective to go back to a 14 day return policy and some items with no returns offered. No gigs on my rating but just to much buyer remorse with the 30 day return policy