Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Liquidate Slow-Moving Merchandise

Share Post
Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger
Last Edited 11:51:44 AM by News Team

Clearing out stale merchandise can vastly improve the health of your business.Clearing out stale merchandise can vastly improve the health of your business.

If you know Griff of eBay Radio fame, you’re probably familiar with his stance on slow-moving merchandise.

“Get rid of it! It’s a capital liability.”

What does he mean by this? He’s basically saying that when you have new items in inventory that haven’t sold in more than three months and used items that have been around for more than six months, they can actually be detrimental to the health of your business—kind of like a blocked artery. Your money (or capital) is physically stuck and could be obstructing your success.

That’s why we always suggest starting the new year fresh by liquidating the items that are holding you back from your sales goals. Plus, this is the time of year when buyers are actively in search of clearance sales. So take advantage of the increased demand for deals and make room for fresh inventory. Here’s how:

1. Make a list of your stale merchandise. If you don’t have hundreds of listings, you probably already know which items to put on your liquidation list. If you have hundreds or thousands of items, you can visit Seller Hub and run a list of items that haven’t sold in 16 months. Or, you can look at your ratio of views to offers. If you have an item that has a ton of views but no offers or questions, it’s probably time to clear it out.

2. Set up a Clearance Sale Event using Promotions Manager. This will be much easier than reducing the price of your merchandise at the item level. Plus, it’ll expose shoppers to more of your stock. You might also consider running an Order Discount Offer in Seller Hub, if it makes sense. This will help you move more inventory. If you don’t have an eBay Stores subscription, try sending slow-selling items to auction. Just start an item at $.99 and see what happens.

social-blog_saleimage.jpeg

3. Create an ad and celebrate your sales event via social media. Letting all of your followers know about your big blowout sale event or Order Discount Offer via your social media accounts is much more efficient than listing individual items. Think like a department store and create a simple Facebook, Twitter or Instagram ad that links directly to your offer. If you don’t have access to a graphic designer to help you with ad creation, you can use one of these easy apps (Typorama is my favorite). If you don’t have an eBay Store, you can create a collection of your $.99 auction items and promote it via your social accounts.

4. Use eBay promoted listings to get more eyeballs on your items. If you’re looking to liquidate multi-quantity merchandise, use promoted listings to get more exposure for your items. You can set up ads in minutes and boost your item visibility by 30%*. Since you only pay when an item sells, you can’t really lose. Plus, depending on your Store level, you might already have access to a quarterly promoted listings credit. And, here’s a fun little tip: you can use promotions and promoted listings together, for even more impact.

Promoted listings appear in search with the Sponsored label above the title.Promoted listings appear in search with the Sponsored label above the title.

5.  Donate your items to charity. If you’ve done all of the above and your items still aren’t moving, give them to charity. They’re holding you back from next-level success. Slow-moving items can be like emotional baggage. It feels good to let them go and open up the  space for something that makes you feel energized. Plus, depending on your situation, you might benefit from the tax deduction.

If you end up feeling specifically attached to anything during your new year liquidation routine, remember it’s just business. There’s a reason why big department stores run clearance sales in the new year—they’re making room for bigger and better things.

Have tips of your own for moving stale merchandise? Share your expertise in the comments below.

*Based on data from May through June, 2016. Measured on 40,000 listings that had sales before they were promoted and had promoted listing sales after they were promoted. Results for individual sellers may vary depending on their category. 

• Growing Your Business
  • Seasonal Selling
50 Comments
essexestateservices
Adventurer

Great ideas, Shana. 

But also remember that there are sunk costs in each item. Reducing pricing may not recover photography and listing labor but it should, at least, recover your packing labor and shipping material (and ebay and Paypal costs) costs. Selling an item at 99 cents is a money loser even if you charge for shipping. Out BE selling point is usually about $10.00. Occasionally we will go below that price point if we know it is easy to shove the item in an envelope and ship it at little expense to us. Remember, an item selling at 99 cents with $6 shipping still means over $1 in ebay/paypal fees plus packing material cost.  

mealz_antiques
Adventurer

How do I get white background for my listing pictures?  I use my iPhone to take pictures, even though my studio background is white, my pic's appear to be dark in the background.  Any ideas of how I can accertain clear white background using my iPhone or do I need a different camera to give a more efficient and crisp pictures.  Please advise

by saintfig · Adventurer
saintfig
Adventurer

@mealz_antiques

Photoshop Elements (not full version Photoshop) is an inexpensive photo editing software.  You can upload all of your images and use various methods of replacing backgrounds.  I takes just a little practice to fully blow out a background to FFFFFF (pure white).  There are free versions of photo editing software. (you can google).  I do not know how effective they are.  I have only ever used PE.  I looked at some of your images, you could also try more creative (yet subtle) backgrounds since you are selling vintage.

Hope this info is helpful.

-SaintFig

Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger

Great advice, @mealz_antiques

Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger

Hi @essexestateservices - Yes, not suggesting that you sell items for $.99. It's just a tactic for those who don't have an eBay Store (and the ability to run promotions and/or promoted listings) to drum up a little more interest in slow-selling items. The goal would be to attract watchers and create a bidding war, of course. Smiley Happy

burnsantiques502
Adventurer

I have tried the .99 auction to clear out inventory and with shipping and fees I always end up losing even more money. I cannot afford these auctions, I only lose, so I think I will try the charity route or consign left overs to a local auction  house. 

by part2go · Scout
part2go
Scout

Hi,
I just wanted to tell you about very nice application we are using at our business ( we have two eBay stores with thousands of items). The application called CampainGo, it is an eBay certified application, it allows us to look at our store listings and to sort them, at once, by different parameters like date of listed and sold or not sold and number of items in your where house and more.
For example, we sort out all the listings which were listed for more than 3 years AND never sold, we send all of them to 45% off sale. On the other hand, different listings which were listed more than 3 years ago AND already sold we send for only 15% off.
It is very important to us to differentiate between different listings each time we so sales campaigns.
I estimate that 30% of our monthly revenues this month!!, were due to the sales and markdowns we did. 

castlemaniagames
Rising Star

@mealz_antiques try using light box. You can find these for around $20 shipped on Ebay

by loisn14rxh · Adventurer
loisn14rxh
Adventurer

These are great ideas and have motivated me to do what I've been putting off. Hello to a new 2017!

bfsworldnet
Adventurer

I'll make it even simpler:  Put the slow movers into compatible wholesale lots of at least 12 items.  Cut the price to bare bones.  But be sure to add a $2-$3 handling charge to cover your costs of packing and shipping. 

by dps103 · Adventurer
dps103
Adventurer

@mealz_antiques You need an inexpensive muslin backdrop with 2-3 lights in various positions. Check out this youtube video that shows you how then shop on Ebay for "photography lighting studio". 

Good luck my friend!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ED7UvEJutg

borisbasement
Adventurer

How do you find out which of your items have been around the longest? There doesn't appear to be a way to sort by original listing date.

by part2go · Scout
part2go
Scout

@borisbasement

This is the exact problem this application, which I mentioned earlier, is coming to solve.

These guys found a way to sort your items by the date they were listed! So they give you a way to make a list of all the items you listed before a curtained date. From this point it is very easy to do a markdown sale on these items. This allows me to get rid of old stuff, which was already collecting dust on my shelves, and to turn it into cash which I use to buy more fresh stuff which is more likely to sell better!

BTW, not only its allow me to sort my items by the date they were listed but also I can check whether or not they were sold in the past. So I end up with a list of old items which were never sold!

And that is very powerful to my business!!!!!!

autopartspuller
Trailblazer

@essexestateservices

I have found that those $.99 cent auctions pay for themselves.  I keep an average of 20 - 30 older items listed at $.99 cents and run quantity discounts weekly.  I have found that I may not make any money on that item but, in order to save $ people will browse and spend more to get the extra discounts.  A win-win for me.  I am constantly in need of storage... I could double my listings if I had more storage.  Not to mention that if someone sees one item way below expected price, they sometimes feel the need to browse everything you got...

So I have found that while the .99 cent auction is great in concept its really not worth it to me I just have bad luck with it. So instead I change my inventory adding new items and then use the other formats to sell the item where its going to be cash and I accept the fact that I wont have additional shipping, paypal or ebay fees. I may as well make my money back and a few extra bucks then to give it away (if it sells) and pay fees. It seems to me that someone else is making money on those .99 cent auctions.

surfcityjrl
Adventurer

I agree .99 auctions only end up costing me money. I've yet to make a profit or have buyers look at other items and purchase anything. I've used markdown manager and ran a promotion with no increase in sales. With postage now rising again in the next few weeks it's getting harder and harder to sell. I've cut prices to rock bottom on items and offered free shipping. In addition buyers are using 30 day returns to their advantage, (returning items after 28 days) which costs me money also. Not sure what the answer is anymore. Sad thing is I love selling in eBay but feel it's always a constant battle. 

atomicclock
Adventurer

@part2go

You must be referring to Campaigngo. I gave it a shot and yeah, really liked the filters that I wish I had on the Markdown Manager. 

@borisbasement 

It has what you asked, you can find out which of your items have been around the longest.

Personally, I used the Date Listed filter combined with the Price filter (Above 30$ for me) because of the shipping rates but it really depends on how big is your discount. 

atomicclock
Adventurer

@part2go
You must be referring to Campaigngo. I gave it a shot and yeah, really liked the filters that I wish I had on the Markdown Manager.

@borisbasement
It has what you asked, you can find out which of your items have been around the longest.
Personally, I used the Date Listed filter combined with the Price filter (Above 30$ for me) because of the shipping rates but it really depends on how big is your discount.

dbcards1998
Adventurer

I agree with those who have not had luck with the $.99 auctions.  Very rarely do I ever get more that 1 bid.  We have had some luck combining the slow movers into 1 auction at a reduced price, where we can recover some or most of our cost.  It is getting tougher and tougher to use the free shipping idea with the increas in postage.  You end up having to price your item too high or lose money becaude of the postage cost.  Not sure what the answer is and would love to hear from those of you that have any ideas for us.  Thanks

by part2go · Scout
part2go
Scout

@pleasantncherished @dbcards1998

To do 0.99 auctions you need a blockbuster, otherwise it’s too risky. If they are slow movers, items that didn't sell for a long time or even never, the answer is simple 0.99 is not the way to move them. With slow movers we do 50% markdown and it yield us good results. We take only item with a price higher then $20 so enduo with sales of not less than $10 after the discount. So we do few bucks on each item we sale.  

by
Rockstar

Another simple backdrop for pictures is a yard of fabric (preferable plain color without too much detail and one of those thick foam poster boards.

I am going to try this before I pack up for a garage sale.  The more I sell the more money goes into my pocket.  Sometimes you have to just consider money as money received without getting too hung up on how much you did or did not make.  Any money is money I can use for new inventory.

Rockstar

Never good advice to sell anything on eBay for 99 cents. This is a loser for the seller and eBay knows this, If you only get 1 bid, and eBay gets 10% of shipping costs, Seller loses. Would be better to throw the Item away then pay eBay shipping costs on a 99 cent Item.

I've had luck taking stale products and placing them into small & medium sized lots at a discounted price to move them. It's not 100% but it does tend to get them moving faster.

I also saw someone who asked about white backgrounds on images. I purchsed a 32"x32" photo cube tent that came with four backdrops (white, blue, black & red) it was only $27 and it's worked out really well. I use photoshop for editing (I'm a web developer & graphic designer) so, it's a huge learning curve. ClippingMagic is an online service for background removal that works really well and it's super cheap only $8 month for 100 images & $15 mo for 500 so, it's well worth the investment to make it simple.

computer-guy48
Adventurer

Won't sell? ..COUNTERINTUITIVE as it may seam...raise the price and people are not as suspicious that something must be wrong with item if it is so low...people are always dropping their jaws when i selll nwt low, so their are these risk takers who buy NWT for low $.  Otherwise people who are not risk takers need to go with a more sure thing at a higher price. Above all selling does take Patience!

Blessings of abundance to all,

Abbys909

by geepers711 · Adventurer
geepers711
Adventurer

I have done the .99 auction many times in the past.  Sometimes it was phenomenal, others, a bust.  But I agree, use it for something you KNOW will sell big.  

Here's to a profitable 2017 everyone!

geepers711

by lindyslucky · Trailblazer | Updated
lindyslucky
Trailblazer

I love auctions. It can be so exciting. But, not fun if you get no bids as a seller.

Maybe if ebay had a section, like toys, clothing, 99 cent auctions.

then, a buyer could look through the deals, and see what started At 99 cents.

Browsing unusual items can be so much fun, and watching an auction can be too.

it's the things you buy that you didn't know you wanted!

by rixstuff · Guide
rixstuff
Guide

I am surprised there was no mention of putting items in lots and selling them as a group!  Oddly, my experience shows that items that wont sell for $1.99 each will sell at five for $15.

stellarnails
Pathfinder

Thanks for affirming tips Smiley Happy

by sajoyce · Rising Star
sajoyce
Rising Star

Is there a page such as archives for items we want to give a rest, like they have not sold for 30+ days and we dont want to loose them just save them for later listings?

Iv tried dropping prices so low I would be paying someone to buy them. need help

It turns out, and this info was new to me, that many ebay sellers get their items for free by dumpster diving at retail stores. That's the only way 99 cent auctions might be worth it, and then only if your item is worth enough to enough people to get a bidding war started. Otherwise you end up working for less than nothing.

Let's say that you have 50 items that you put on auction for 99 cents each and they sell for 99 cents. You charged enough for shipping, we hope, so that you won't be losing money on that, but with minimum ebay and PP fees, you're working for what, about 60 cents tops? So it takes you 10 minutes minimum to box it up, print the label (and that can be an entertaining process all by itself), put the label on. You just worked for $30 to pack 50 items, which will take an entire day or more. It doesn't even begin to pay you back for all of your hard work photographing, measuring, listing, storing. And that's it. Now you have no more older merchandise to sell. That's all you get from your hard work, ever.

worldofceylon
Adventurer

WOW!! Great Advise!! very helpful. Thank you. heart

by rixstuff · Guide
rixstuff
Guide

Timing is also a big deal.  I took some non starters and put them away in a box for a couple of months, then relisted and they all sold like hotcakes.  Not sure what set it off.  This wasnt a case of waiting for summer to offer swimsuits or sweaters in December as these were year round items (household stuff, purses, etc).  Go figure.

by part2go · Scout
part2go
Scout

What about email marketing?

by jun-harte · Adventurer
jun-harte
Adventurer

Gosh, I have been doing this for a year and still don't feel I have it under control.  Shipping is killing me but I do want to continue to offer free shipping when I can.  On a blouse that is going to sell for $20.00,adding another $2.60 to it won't matter. I love the idea of clearing out my inventory. I started this thinking ending up with a dollar or two was worth it, but not any longer, too much work involved. I also need to figure out how to avoid the insertion fees.  I have around 400 items in my basic store and if they don't sell, I get the insertion fee each month.  That's costly. Again on a pricy item, we can absorb that but a $7.00 item all of a sudden is not worth it due to depress and shipping.  So, I am getting so I don't list under $10.00 AND I am going to clear out inventory by batching things up and having a sale.  This is extremely time consuming as you all must know but a great big thanks for your tips!! If anyone has a tip on those insertion fees, I would love it.

limited-souvenirs
Rising Star

With some items that hung around forever, I have some success by simply deleting the item and listing it again in a new listing (not relisting). I suspect that the eBay search algorithm (Casini?) gives a lower priority to long time non-selling items, but a new item is promoted more enthusiastically. However if the item simply relisted, then search engine remembers it’s poor history.

Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger

@jun-harte You don't have an eBay Store, correct? You might be able to save on fees that way. Plug some numbers into the Fee Illustrator to find out. ~Shana

jun-harte
Adventurer

shana_champion wrote:

Clearing out stale merchandise can vastly improve the health of your business.Clearing out stale merchandise can vastly improve the health of your business.

If you know Griff of eBay Radio fame, you’re probably familiar with his stance on slow-moving merchandise.

What does he mean by this? He’s basically saying that when you have new items in inventory that haven’t sold in more than three months and used items that have been around for more than six months, they can actually be detrimental to the health of your business—kind of like a blocked artery. Your money (or capital) is physically stuck and could be obstructing your success.

That’s why we always suggest starting the new year fresh by liquidating the items that are holding you back from your sales goals. Plus, this is the time of year when buyers are actively in search of clearance sales. So take advantage of the increased demand for deals and make room for fresh inventory. Here’s how:

1. Make a list of your stale merchandise. If you don’t have hundreds of listings, you probably already know which items to put on your liquidation list. If you have hundreds or thousands of items, you can visit Seller Hub and run a list of items that haven’t sold in 16 months. Or, you can look at your ratio of views to offers. If you have an item that has a ton of views but no offers or questions, it’s probably time to clear it out.

2. Set up a Clearance Sale Event using Promotions Manager. This will be much easier than reducing the price of your merchandise at the item level. Plus, it’ll expose shoppers to more of your stock. You might also consider running an Order Discount Offer in Seller Hub, if it makes sense. This will help you move more inventory. If you don’t have an eBay Stores subscription, try sending slow-selling items to auction. Just start an item at $.99 and see what happens.

3. Create an ad and celebrate your sales event via social media. Letting all of your followers know about your big blowout sale event or Order Discount Offer via your social media accounts is much more efficient than listing individual items. Think like a department store and create a simple Facebook, Twitter or Instagram ad that links directly to your offer. If you don’t have access to a graphic designer to help you with ad creation, you can use one of these easy apps (Typorama is my favorite). If you don’t have an eBay Store, you can create a collection of your $.99 auction items and promote it via your social accounts.

4. Use eBay promoted listings to get more eyeballs on your items. If you’re looking to liquidate multi-quantity merchandise, use promoted listings to get more exposure for your items. You can set up ads in minutes and boost your item visibility by 30%*. Since you only pay when an item sells, you can’t really lose. Plus, depending on your Store level, you might already have access to a quarterly promoted listings credit. And, here’s a fun little tip: you can use promotions and promoted listings together, for even more impact.

Promoted listings appear in search with the Sponsored label above the title.Promoted listings appear in search with the Sponsored label above the title.

5.  Donate your items to charity. If you’ve done all of the above and your items still aren’t moving, give them to charity. They’re holding you back from next-level success. Slow-moving items can be like emotional baggage. It feels good to let them go and open up the  space for something that makes you feel energized. Plus, depending on your situation, you might benefit from the tax deduction.

If you end up feeling specifically attached to anything during your new year liquidation routine, remember it’s just business. There’s a reason why big department stores run clearance sales in the new year—they’re making room for bigger and better things.

Have tips of your own for moving stale merchandise? Share your expertise in the comments below.

*Based on data from May through June, 2016. Measured on 40,000 listings that had sales before they were promoted and had promoted listing sales after they were promoted. Results for individual sellers may vary depending on their category. 

shana_champion wrote:

Shana I do have a basic store. I am learning some tricks along the way but these blogs from real " EBay" folk really help.  And Limited, that will be my mission.  I need to clean up my store and my pics.  I think that will help with the fees along with limiting my lower priced items.  Thank you both.  I'm sure I'll be back. Please keep these tips going for us newer ones as you won't believe how helpful they are. THANKS, June

Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger

You are SO on the right track, @jun-harte. Here are some tips on taking awesome product shots. Also, you might want to call into eBay Radio when they're doing a "listing dish." Griff and Lee can tell you what you might be able to improve on. Happy Friday! ~Shana

bregmanburba
Adventurer

When I am left with stale merchandise and I have tried all of the above first I just have a good old fashion tag sale. 

mynewfindstore
Adventurer

We have over 5000 items in our store....if an item doesn't sell, it's automatically relisted every 30 days.  How on earth can you tell after months what has been around the longest?  Going through the store is like playing a guessing game.....who has time for that? 

by part2go · Scout
part2go
Scout

@mynewfindstore I have more than 7,000 listings in my store and it is simply impossible to identify what has been around the longest unless you have dozens of excel sheets, divided to  weeks, months, years and that just covers dates!

I personally use CampaignGo to divide listings with different parameters such as date added, price, number of watchers etc.  

I also adore Markdown Sales so I can create there a quick sale after filtering my listings. Did you try it?

How do you automatically relist your items? 

jun-harte
Adventurer

Thanks for the imput.  I am just a very small store as I do this myself and hubby wants dinner once in a while, but all these tips are so helpful.  I am doing excel spreadsheets for now but would like something a bit more analytic so I really know whether I am making a profit or not.  I will check out CampaignGo in the future as I am just compiling infor for now. 

peters_deals
Rising Star
You can also Post a Task you need done on this website http://www.techmyoffer.com/ and have someone pick up your things for you.
by Verified Blogger | Updated
Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger

@mynewfindstore Did you see this part in point #1: "If you have hundreds or thousands of items, you can visit Seller Hub and run a list of items that haven’t sold in 16 months." Seller Hub is free. You just need to activate your access.

by part2go · Scout
part2go
Scout

@shana_champion

Thank you Shana, the post is great and it is a wonderful tip too.
BTW, can seller hab sort items whether they were sold or not.
I want to distinguish between them.
It highly important to do that, without it, I can't put old stock for a 50% off clearance sale. If I will do that many good old items, maybe some of my best sellers, are going to sell for a discount which I do not want to give. Why to sell items which were already sold many times for half the price?
I will more than appreciate your help, thank you

Sajoice

I viewed your listings and yes you will break even with shipping and fees but not recoup your product investment. Ebay use to give hints that if you sell alot of product in a specific time frame then you would move up in the listings search, that was behind the idea of the .99 cent listings. With the cost of first class mail going up (I believe my highest ship has been about $3.60) Sometimes I just sit on a product and relist it but give it a break for maybe 2 or 3 weeks. There are just so many changes going on I dont know what works anymore. My sales are down because I recall December and January being slow months overall. I just purchased some new items and cleaning up I found other items to list which I am currently working on. I do have to say this, using the new listing program and not turbo lister is easier. I also found under selling format the ability to go back and relist from my Unsold Ending Listings. Im trying everything I can to get my sales going again. Its definetly alot of work and uphill battle.

Do not ever list an item for .99 unless you don't mind losing money.  I experimented with two items listing them each at .99 plus shipping.  Sure, both items sold but for .99 only.  I not only lost money on the items, but also incurred eBay fees, shipping fees and packing supply costs.  Not to mention, wasting valuable time listing them items and preparing for them for shipment.  Just keep relisting.  I've had items that have taken over a year to sell, but so what?  I got my price.  

thai.shop11
Pathfinder

Good to read this.Smiley Happyheart

moniclipp01
Adventurer

This is great for me being new to ebay selling, Im so impatient I wouldnt have thought to allow 90 days(quarterly monitoring sales. Thanks

iqbal_mauludy
Enthusiast

I mean this best choice, hahahahaha....