Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Five Ways to Get Your Motivational Groove Back

Share Post
Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger
Last Edited 11:25:27 AM

RW10_030717_FiveWaysMotivational_blog_620x400_FINAL_ASSET.jpg

I have good news and bad news for you. The good news: If you’re making a living selling on eBay, you’re likely your own boss. The bad news: You’re your own boss.

That means, unless you have employees, you’re responsible for strategy (the brains) and execution (the brawn). That’s a lot for one person to take on. But you have what it takes, otherwise you’d be working a 9-5 and helping someone else realize their dreams.

But what happens when you’re running low on motivation in your role as CEO of You? Should you close up shop and take off to the Bahamas for a week? Maybe. That’s one way to get re-energized. But, if that’s not in the cards, refer to this list of five ways to get your motivational groove back.

1. Revisit your mission statement.

Some of you are laughing right now. You’re thinking, “I’m still in my pajamas, when exactly would I have had time for a mission statement? Also, what’s a mission statement?”

A mission statement is a clear, succinct one sentence summary capturing your reason for being in business. When you commit your intentions to paper, they become more tangible and, as a result, more attainable. So if you’ve briefly lost your way, remind yourself of your business purpose and what being a small business owner has enabled you to do. This can put things in perspective and re-ignite your passion. Here’s an example: “To provide quality clothing, gear, and accessories to the gymnastics community so that I can fund my daughter’s gymnastics classes, equipment, and travel."

2. Remove your constraints.

In The Theory of Constraints and Getting Your Ship Together, I used a messy, disorganized shipping station as a possible bottleneck for your eBay business. In reality, any part of your daily eBay to-do list could be impeding your progress.

For example, if you stall out when it comes to plugging numbers into your home-grown accounting spreadsheet, you might want to consider upgrading to Quickbooks to streamline the process and remove the constraint. Something as simple as this could help you feel more energized about your business as a whole.

3. Set new goals.

RW10_030717_FiveWaysMotivational_blog_620x400_2_FINAL_ASSET.jpg

If you’re the type of seller/small business owner who outlines your goals for the year and then revisits them twelve months later, you might consider setting short-term goals instead. As you accumulate smaller wins, you’ll stimulate the reward center in your brain and be excited about making progress on a smaller scale. This kind of stimulation can be addictive, in the best kind of way.

Also, if you’re not great in the accountability department, connect with a friend or small business peer and challenge each other to reach new levels of greatness.

4. Change your routine.

Routine can be great for eBay sellers. You pick, ship, source, list, market, and repeat. However, if you’re feeling stuck in a rut, it might be time to change things up. Sure, you’ll probably always need to ship first thing in the morning, but why not re-order the rest of your day? You’re the boss.

You could even try mapping out a schedule for the week that includes inspirational activities, like listening to eBay Radio on Tuesday and Thursday and tuning in for Griff and Audrey via Facebook Live or Periscope on Wednesdays at 12:30pm PT. You’ll pick up new tips for running your business and feel more inspired to stretch and grow.

Also, if you’re feeling uninspired about what you sell, try something new. Don’t underestimate how thrilling it can be to work with items that you’re excited about.

5. Connect with your peers.

RW10_030717_FiveWaysMotivational_blog_620x400_3_FINAL_ASSET.jpg

The power of the eBay Community is unparalleled. No other group of sellers on the planet helps each other more than those who sell on eBay. So if you’re feeling less than inspired, join the conversation on eBay. While you’re there, read some seller stories. You never know who’s going to change your outlook and help restore your business mojo.

And, if that’s not enough, join a virtual (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, or Instagram) or in-person (Meetup) group. Find your people—the ones who understand the trials, tribulations, and extreme triumphs of being a small business owner.

All in all, being a small business owner is one of the most rewarding careers imaginable. You run the show. But, when it feels like the show is running you, refer back to this post or The Seven Habits of Highly Effective eBay Sellers post for the tools you need to get your motivational groove back. We’ve got you.

How do you handle motivational lulls? Tell us in the comments below. Also, feel free to share this article with your eBay colleagues via email, and on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and LinkedIn

• Growing Your Business
  • Tips and Tools
8 Comments
by ebetsy · Guide
ebetsy
Guide

For those who hate crunching numbers (a necessary evil when running a business!), try Outright (in the eBay Apps Center), a.k.a. GoDaddy Online Bookkeeping. It pulls in all your eBay and PayPal fees, credit card bills, etc., does the math and accounting, gives you nice clear easily understood reports and even fills out your Schedule C. All you have to do is identify your income vs expenses, and it "learns" as you go along so as to do that automatically as well. It's a lifesaver!

by ebetsy · Guide
ebetsy
Guide

p.s. 1 more way to get your eBay groove back: Subscribe to eBay for Business, and let motivation come right to your inbox!

by leogetz80 · Explorer
leogetz80
Explorer

Thanks very helpful 

pirate_snoopy
Thrill-Seeker

Awesome post. I sometimes do find it hard to get motivation to list stuff, especially since my eBay business is me working for myself. I will have to try some of the things you mentioned Smiley Happy

News Team
News Team

Thank you ebetsy for the shout out! And yes, GoDaddy Online Bookkeeping is *AMAZING* for eBay sellers. 

mcampbell71
Rising Star

I have lost my "selling mojo" lately, due to health issues- and your post was very helpful and timely. I am thankful for the comments by others that gave some additional tips, too. 

pinkysplace23
Adventurer

thank you i needed this

uniqueantiquesusa
Rising Star

Thank you for your terrific post. You are so helpful and inspiring! I am one of the eBayers who juggles all aspect of the picking, shipping, sourcing, listing, marketing, and customer relations herself, and sometimes I just get burnt out, or just discouraged when the older inventory isn't moving. In this instance, I usually try two different things (aside from taking a daily gardening break), and the first is to review all the neat things I already picked to resell, but haven't gotten around to listing here yet, and pick the one that makes me smile the most (or even seems the most challenging to research and describe), and begin to build a new listing around it. That always restores my excitement about the whole eBay business process. The other thing I like to do is host a sale with Markdown Manager! Inevitably that draws interest to my items (with new tracffic to my store), and produces some unexpected sales for us here, which really lift my spirits! eBay is the perfect place to purchase hard-to-find and one of a kind, unusual collectible items, which is mostly what I sell here. But eBay is for bargain hunters too! So when we host a sale, and a buyer gets excited about getting that special find for less, we all end up really happy with the transaction!