Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bob’s Blog: Bringing More Buyers and Sales to You in 2017

Share Post
Executive
Executive
Last Edited 12:09:05 PM by News Team

Bob_Headshot_620x400.jpg

I hope you’re having an amazing 2017. Back in February, I posted about our 2017 plans to bring you more buyers and more sales—along with some new ways to make your selling easier and more profitable. As we’re mid-way through the year, I wanted to reach out again with an update on our progress.

As your partner at eBay, we aim to consolidate impactful changes that may require action on your part into seasonal seller updates so you have time to adapt—our spring and summer updates are examples.

At the same time, we are a company of continuous innovation, and we regularly evaluate new platform capabilities. These typically start with small-scale tests, and when we see positive results that benefit buyers and sellers, we want to bring these new features to the broader ecosystem right away.

Some recent examples:

• Pricing guidance: From the Growth tab in Seller Hub you can now get real-time pricing guidance based on current market conditions. See price trends for your inventory, where you stand in relation to your competitors, and key restocking opportunities for your fast-moving items.
  • More opportunity for promoting your listings: You can now promote your single quantity and unique items for prime eBay placements to boost your visibility and sales. As always, promoted listings are risk-free: you pay only if your ad results in a sale.
  • Product reviews in more listings: Buyers can now see product reviews in your multi-variation listings—listings for items available in different sizes, colors, etc.—as well as single item listings. Another opportunity to drive increased sales.

A few things you may encounter that we’re currently testing:

• Fewer unpaid items: To reduce unpaid items for all sellers, more transactions require buyers to “Confirm and Pay” immediately. Unless the buyer pays, your listing isn’t ended and your inventory quantity isn’t reduced.
  • Robust negotiations in Best Offer: We’re testing an increase in the number of communications in Best Offer to improve sales conversion. You can still limit contacts by setting up Best Offer to respond automatically.

We’ve also taken a few steps recently to benefit the marketplace:

• Structured data. As we announced last year, new and manufacturer refurbished items in many categories must now have valid product identifiers to help buyers find what they’re looking for. Most likely you’re one of the vast majority of sellers whose listings are in great shape. But starting this month, listings missing valid identifiers will not be able to be revised and relisted, and starting in early September, Good ‘Til Cancelled listings will not automatically renew.
  • Stronger marketplace protection: Also starting this month for the small group of sellers who repeatedly violate important eBay policies like completing transactions outside of eBay checkout, their active listings will be suppressed from search and browse results in line with selling restrictions.
  • Duplicate and non-performing listings: To improve the speed and performance of the site, we recently completed an exercise of removing some listings that should be moving but haven’t had a sale for two years or more. That action is complete, but we continue to enforce eBay’s duplicate listing policy. If you have listings that haven’t sold for a year or more, we encourage you to update them to help your own sales.

Consider these performance-boosting adjustments:

• Be price competitive. Real-time pricing guidance is available in Seller Hub.
  • Add images. Multiple photos go a long way to help the sale.
  • Include all pertinent item specifics. This helps get your listing found in search.
  • Offer free shipping and free returns. Free returns can boost sales up to 34%.*

Again, we hope you’re enjoying strong sales in 2017—we look forward to an excellent second half of the year!

Bob Kupbens

Vice President Seller Experience

*34% conversion lift based on Q4 2016 data for sellers who went from a no-returns policy to 60-day free returns. Individual results may vary. eBay does not guarantee that each seller will experience the same lift.

• Growing Your Business
  • Tips and Tools
202 Comments
goodballcards
Trailblazer

Nice read.  On the topic of 34% increase in sales with free returns: not sure if selling fees could get credited back on returned items...?...  Anyone know?  We could probably offer this if that's the case, and probably will...

by goodluckselling · Guide | Updated

Quote from above  -  But starting this month, listings missing valid identifiers will not be able to be revised and relisted, and starting in early September, Good ‘Til Cancelled listings will not automatically renew.

This is one of the main reasons why we are confused with eBay speak.  Please define this sentence better.  Are you saying listing with missing attributes will not be renewed for GTC listings or are you saying

all listings with GTC will not be renewed?  If your answer is the latter does that mean that GTC is a feature that is about to go away forever.

We need all eBay officials to speak to us sellers in a manner that leave no misunderstandings on the table that we may come to regret at a later date and start to call eBay a bunch of bad names because of your very popular ambiguous way of explaining things.

If you want our support you need to make sure we understand you completely without loopholes for you to say otherwise or us to say we did not understand.

Good Luck Selling!

by llllady · Rockstar
llllady
Rockstar

re Promotion of single quantity listings - is this now available in ALL categories? 

by z50com · Guide
z50com
Guide

" I posted about our 2017 plans to bring you more buyers and more sales—along with some new ways to make your selling easier and -----> more profitable <-------."

By taking away 50% of the 20% discount on FVF fees!

Yea, that made me more profitable ~ ROTFLMAO not.

d-k_treasures
Rockstar

".. but we continue to enforce eBay’s duplicate listing policy. "

When will this [ever] happen with sellers from china?

by llllady · Rockstar
llllady
Rockstar

Stronger marketplace protection: Also starting this month for the small group of sellers who repeatedly violate important eBay policies like completing transactions outside of eBay checkout, their active listings will be suppressed from search and browse results in line with selling restrictions.

There have been numerous reports of sellers getting warnings, but they are not sharing any actual information, which would lead to an off-eBay sale.  It seems the "bots" are picking up a single word here or there. 

With that said, will there be a solid appeal process in place so that when the AI runs amok, a seller is not wrongfully punished?

d-k_treasures
Rockstar
  • Fewer unpaid items: To reduce unpaid items for all sellers, more transactions require buyers to “Confirm and Pay” immediately. Unless the buyer pays, your listing isn’t ended and your inventory quantity isn’t reduced.

Sorry, but that feature has always been around for sellers who CHOOSE to use it.

What will happen now, with ebay controlling it, is less multi-item orders from a single seller. The cart is lousy, and by the time you finish adding items and hope the 'request total' is there, someone else may have purchased something you had in your cart and the buyer loses out, as does the seller, because the buyer would probably abandon the balance in the cart - especially if it's only 2 or 3 items.

Bad move.

by terrycanarsky · Scout

But starting this month, listings missing valid identifiers will not be able to be revised and relisted

Doesn't this seem a bit odd?  If you want sellers to tighten up their listings and fix errors in order to give the buyers a better experience and create more business, WHY would you disallow revision and relisting on these errant listings?

and starting in early September, Good ‘Til Cancelled listings will not automatically renew.

I'm sorry, what?  How is this decision justified? 

~M

by slotqueen5x · Scout
slotqueen5x
Scout

eBay's "test" for "Fewer Unpaid Items"  as everyone knows has been slowly rolling out since spring of 2015 is one of the WORST policy changes ever. This so-called test  is FRUSTRATING buyers and LOSING sales for sellers every day. 

There are many rare and collectible items or items in high demand from the same seller in which you need to be able to hit the Buy It Now button, Commit To Buy button as the seller IS ACTIVELY POSTING their listings and THEN request a combined invoice. Adding items to the cart while additional listings are being completed and posted does NOT save that item for the buyer! Anyone else can buy the item! This is making for very DISAPPOINTING BUYER EXPERIENCES!!!

THERE ARE MANY TIMES WHEN IMMEDIATE PAYMENT REQUIRED DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!

Also the choice of how a seller wants to run their own business should not be taken away by eBay.  There are many sellers who allow buyers to make purchases for UP TO 30 days without paying for a single item so they can pay for the items all at once. That choice is being taken away by eBay.

There are multiple threads  on the community forum expressing this sentiment! Ebay chooses not to listen to their sellers! This is NOT GOOD For business. Ebay insists this will drive more sales. Instead it only FRUSTRATES buyers and sellers LOSE sales. 

In addition, sellers are unfairly charged multiple fees on the shipping cost for each item when each item has to be purchased individually.  The seller is left refunding the buyer the overcharge for shipping and then eBay KEEPS the fees!

Combined with the frustration of the cart not always working, slow loading of cart and the Request Combined Invoice button being grayed out when seller does not require immediate payment, many buyers just give up and who could blame them?

EBay you need to seriously take a look at this terrible new policy. It is Not helping buyers. It is NOT helping sellers.  It is only helping eBay collect additional fees from sellers on each transaction. 

Seems like it would be more beneficial to have this policy in place on items over $1000 or high scam items. Really does not make sense the way it is set up now. 

by kavi1030 · Trailblazer
kavi1030
Trailblazer

Offer free shipping and free returns. Free returns can boost sales up to 34%.*

**fine print: up to 34% lift with sellers who offered 60 day returns.

Wonder what the % is for sellers who offered 30 day returns. ?

Question: And we can charge a restock fee when we offer free returns?

d-k_treasures
Rockstar
  • Be price competitive. Real-time pricing guidance is available in Seller Hub.

Where does ebay take these numbers from? Do they include the 'hidden' best offer price that you can at least narrow down in search, or does it include it from a best offer listing that shows the full price instead of sold price?

wolfbyte
Thrill-Seeker

*34% conversion lift based on Q4 2016 data for sellers who went from a no-returns policy to 60-day free returns. Individual results may vary. 

There appears to be conflicting variables in this statement; the introduction of a return policy, a free return policy and a 60 day time frame. The variables need to be isolated for a more meaningful picture.

Need to first collect data on sales increases as a result of sellers going from a no-returns policy to:

* a return policy without Free Returns. Compare data at 30 vs 60 days.

* a return policy with Free Returns within 30 days.

Also, was the data sample based on all of the sellers who met the above criteria in Q4 2016 or just a select few? How big was the data sample?

Thank you.

dtexley3
Thrill-Seeker

I realize a lot of the things you are hyping are already in place so my first question is:  have you followed the feedback on the boards regarding these "tests" and changes?

The feedback from the small sellers that come here to post is negative.  These changes are not resulting in increased sales, they are resulting in poor sales for the smaller stores.  The people who post are the ones who pay attention to how the tests and changes affect our sales.  We know our customer base, don't "assume" you know better, you are selling our items.

and on to some point by point comments:

Pricing guidance.  Currently less than useful (I would say useless) as it does a poor job of finding and matching items for comparason.  I can research an item on eBay and then go to Terapeak and it finds more exact matches for my item for the same time period.  This may get better over time, but right now, not so much.

Promoted Listings.  As soon as a significant number of sellers use this on a regular basis it's going to water down any advantage.  To me it just seems another fee to be tacked on in an already expensive marketplace.

Fewer Unpaid Items (using immediate payment required).  As sellers we already had the choice to require immediate payment IF WE WANTED IT.   If you read the boards this new global policy has a huge impact on a number of sellers.  It doesn't work for everyone.  In fact, the way it's implemented will result in fewer purchases, which does reduce unpaid items, but if they ain't selling you ain't makin money.  This should be the choice of the seller, you had a system in place, it was working and as far as the sellers on the boards are concerned it didn't need fixing.  Why alienate your sellers on this?  Why not continue to let the seller make the choice how they want to run their store?

Stronger marketplace protection: As other's have pointed out this feature is too aggressive already.  There needs to be a clearly detailed appeals process in place.  There are numerous reports of issues with the feature at this time.

Duplicate/Old Listings:  There are still hundreds of duplicate listings, mostly by overseas sellers.  Apply the same rules to them before going after more of the US sellers.  

Structured Data:  The manufacturer information can't always be found for older used stock or stock no longer has packaging.  This feature needs to continue to be flexible for those of us that are selling older or items that no longer have the original packaging.

Long winded I know, but the blog really kind of annoyed me because it felt like seller feedback is being dismissed and ignored.

Community Team
Community Team

Nice read.  On the topic of 34% increase in sales with free returns: not sure if selling fees could get credited back on returned items...?...  Anyone know?  We could probably offer this if that's the case, and probably will... 

Hey @goodballcards! Happy to let you know that when you issue a refund through the return, your fees are credited back to you automatically. 

Community Team
Community Team

Quote from above  -  But starting this month, listings missing valid identifiers will not be able to be revised and relisted, and starting in early September, Good ‘Til Cancelled listings will not automatically renew.

This is one of the main reasons why we are confused with eBay speak.  Please define this sentence better.  Are you saying listing with missing attributes will not be renewed for GTC listings or are you saying

all listings with GTC will not be renewed?  If your answer is the latter does that mean that GTC is a feature that is about to go away forever.

Hey @goodluckselling I can clear this up for you, no problem. The reference to GTC listings above only applies to listings that have an invalid or incomplete value in the Brand, MPN or GTIN fields. The GTC listing option isn't going anywhere and this change only applies to those with missing or incomplete product identifiers.

Community Team
Community Team
llllady wrote:

re Promotion of single quantity listings - is this now available in ALL categories? 

Not all at the moment, but see our FAQ page for more details on what categories are eligible now.

by selsa84 · Adventurer
selsa84
Adventurer

Just wondering what is going on with the refinements in the antique map category. Sometimes  you are able to refine to just originals but most times not., and sometimes when refined  to originals you still see the fakes and repros. Are they doing away with being able to weed out the fakes and repros? 

by golfingaddict · Guide

Thank you.

I am all for anything that brings sales and buyers to the site for all sellers, large and small.

Keep bringing in new buyers!!

by a_c_green · Rockstar | Updated
a_c_green
Rockstar

bob_kupbens wrote: 
  • Fewer unpaid items: To reduce unpaid items for all sellers, more transactions require buyers to “Confirm and Pay” immediately. Unless the buyer pays, your listing isn’t ended and your inventory quantity isn’t reduced. 

I can see how that would give additional protection for newbie sellers who might otherwise get scammed out of their first smartphone sale with a fake PayPal payment notice, but I would suggest setting Immediate Payment Required as an optional Default On setting for a BuyItNow, rather than simply welding it into place.

That way, a knowledgeable seller will still have the option of deactivating the IPR if desired (for reasons explained elsewhere), while newbies who are still learning the ropes will benefit from having it in place even if they're not (yet) aware that it's there, or aware of how it will benefit them.

bubbleman2010
Rockstar

When will sellers be offically  notified about these new policy changes? and how many violations will be used to hide a sellers listings from view? 1-2-3-4-5-6 please state a number...    Stronger marketplace protection: Also starting this month for the small group of sellers who repeatedly violate important eBay policies like completing transactions outside of eBay checkout, their active listings will be suppressed from search and browse results in line with selling restrictions.

by blazebird · Trailblazer
blazebird
Trailblazer

I'd love to see old promises kept, before new ones are made.

by goodluckselling · Guide

Thanks for the concise reply.  Now to your new reply that has some double meaning.

Hey @goodluckselling I can clear this up for you, no problem. The reference to GTC listings above only applies to listings that have an invalid or incomplete value in the Brand, MPN or GTIN fields. The GTC listing option isn't going anywhere and this change only applies to those with missing or incomplete product identifiers.

In the bolded text above I am questioning if this apply's to all listings or not?  I only question this because not all listings ask for these item specifics and they also are not a recommended item specific from eBay. 

Question.  Lets try to take out any ambiguous answer -  If eBay is not asking for these attributes in the item specifics (Brand, MPN, GTIN) does this policy apply to those listings? 

I understand it might at some time in the future but right now If I do not have those options to add the attributes or recommendations in item specifics from eBay will these listings be ended regardless if they are a GTC listing or not?

I see now how hard it is to come up with a perfect answer but ebay you are to blame for this as many years have passed where you (you meaning eBay) have passed on answers that were

• bad,
  • wrong,
  • flat out lying, 
  • I think this is what it means (my favorite)
  • double speak,
  • not sure,
  • trial and error,
  • it should not happen
  • you can always call CS and  have them make changes (as if we have enough time to do this day in and out)
  • I could go on all day and I am one of the more pro eBay stance users in the forum

So just about everything you say and do comes with a level of uncertainty from every sellers regardless if they have ever visited the eBay forum or not.  It just comes attached to the eBay name.  Lets just call it your middle name. 

Lets hope your hard work can change that perspective.

I would like you to try an answer my question about listings without this options or recommendations being ended when this new policy goes live.

Good Luck Selling!

Community Team
Community Team

terrycanarsky wrote:

But starting this month, listings missing valid identifiers will not be able to be revised and relisted

Doesn't this seem a bit odd?  If you want sellers to tighten up their listings and fix errors in order to give the buyers a better experience and create more business, WHY would you disallow revision and relisting on these errant listings?

and starting in early September, Good ‘Til Cancelled listings will not automatically renew.

I'm sorry, what?  How is this decision justified? 

~M

Hey @terrycanarsky, sorry for the confusion! Listings missing valid product identifiers would be able to be revised and relisted once the valid identifiers are input. Additionally, the only Good 'Til Cancelled listings that will not automatically renew beginning in September are those with missing or incomplete product identifiers. GTC listings with accurate product identifiers would still renew as normal.

by callahanmagic · Guide

@bob_kupbens:         benefit the marketplace:

"Stronger marketplace protection: Also starting this month for the small group of sellers who repeatedly violate important eBay policies like completing transactions outside of eBay checkout, their active listings will be suppressed from search and browse results in line with selling restrictions."

How does eBay determines which seller is ACTUALLY violating the above policy.

I hope not by the number of Bot's reaction to innocent emails such as :

1) buyers needed more/further information regarding products despite of 

2) buyers needed the new item # of product when the system delay in showing up

the item in question.

3) buyers needed a 'walk-through' on how to use products,

The above are just a few live scenarios that happened to us and I am sure other

merchants.  Every time, we response to the question - there is that 'warning' about

taking the transaction Outside of eBay.  When, nothing in the exchanges stated so.

Many of us have concluded (have yet to be verified) that the Bots are picking up on

certain key words. Still these does not prove that seller has taken transaction out of

eBay.

By which concrete proof that eBay based on to determine said Seller has violated

the 'out of eBay' transaction violation?

Thank you for clearing this up. 

-

Lucas

*still rollin' with the punches*

Community Team
Community Team

@goodluckselling wrote:

Thanks for the concise reply.  Now to your new reply that has some double meaning.

In the bolded text above I am questioning if this apply's to all listings or not?  I only question this because not all listings ask for these item specifics and they also are not a recommended item specific from eBay. 

Question.  Lets try to take out any ambiguous answer -  If eBay is not asking for these attributes in the item specifics (Brand, MPN, GTIN) does this policy apply to those listings

This policy would only apply to listings that require a product identifier. I did not mean to indicate anything different by providing examples of product identifiers and apologize for any confusion! You will receive an email soon with more information if your listings will be impacted.

by gracieallen01 · Guide

Oh, Bob.  Now that all the hugs and kisses are out of the way, is there something new you can tell us that hasn't been hashed over, complained about, written about, discussed to death a hundred or more times since being announced, introduced, thrown onto the scene or otherwise given to sellers as a take it or leave it, without general - as usual - notification?

You know, little things like the obviously, but not quite fully identical, duplicate listings from the Chinese sellers.  Little things like some kind of REAL remedy for the enormous amount of fake and counterfiet items , quite successfully, inflate the numbers on the platform, like the duplicate listings?  Or little things like equal return opportunities for our 'overseas
friends'?  Just a few of examples, as the list in nearly endless.

It is wonderful that ebay introduces and impliments Industry Standards - oh yes, who determines those and where can one find them posted or are they just thoughts that somebody attributes to IS? - but, how and when are things that effect the current operation of the  platform going to be fixed?  (Yes, yes, I know, that is 'another department')

by llllady · Rockstar
llllady
Rockstar

trinton@ebay

re Product Identifiers -

If you are selling a lot of new items and there are multiple product identifiers such as UPC Nos., is it going to be required to use product identifiers?

I ask this question as I get ready to create a listing with 60 new items.  There are probably about 40 different UPC or MPN's, etc.  Realistically, you cannot input 40 product identifiers

The question then becomes: will a seller be penalized with lower search/visibility for not having product identifiers under these circumstances?

Community Team
Community Team
llllady wrote: 

trinton@ebay

re Product Identifiers -

If you are selling a lot of new items and there are multiple product identifiers such as UPC Nos., is it going to be required to use product identifiers?

I ask this question as I get ready to create a listing with 60 new items.  There are probably about 40 different UPC or MPN's, etc.  Realistically, you cannot input 40 product identifiers

The question then becomes: will a seller be penalized with lower search/visibility for not having product identifiers under these circumstances?

Product identifiers will be required with the items I believe you are describing. I'll reach out via email so we can take a closer look at your example and be more specific.

by gracieallen01 · Guide

Hey Trinton!

Couldn't audrey tracy find a darker corner to post this?  Or, did they really NOT want anybody to find it.

Hope they aren't mad at Alan for putting a link on the seller forum!

Can you PLEASE stop defaulting categories in search? I'm a power buyer and I'm not seeing half of the search results unless I change the category every single time. I search probably 100 times a day. It's very tedious. I'm to the point where I'm considering quitting buying here after spending a quarter million on inventory here over the years.

Many sellers sell things where buyers buy multiples. This change is seriously limiting the number of items buyers can find and therefore buy. This was a very very bad change in my opinion. In my opinion this is one of the worst changes Ebay has ever made for buyer experience and for sales.

Rockstar

You're doing a Great job, No sales in 16 days, The more programs you bring out the worse it gets here on eBay. Guess I should have learned Chinese instead of french.

by mr_lincoln · Rockstar | Updated
mr_lincoln
Rockstar

@bob_kupbens Quote from the Blog:

"Stronger marketplace protection: Also starting this month for the small group of sellers who repeatedly violate important eBay policies like completing transactions outside of eBay checkout, their active listings will be suppressed from search and browse results in line with selling restrictions."

There have been a number of threads lately about Sellers receiving warnings about Selling Off eBay when in fact the initial contact is from the Buyer ... per eBay Team posts BOTH Buyer and Seller get warning messages.  Sellers simply have to message Buyer stating they do NOT sell off eBay to protect themselves from eBay punishment.

Just curious though, how exactly does eBay actually prove an item was sold off the site?

by gracieallen01 · Guide

Pssst ...Trinton

How many folks , do you think, believe that 'Bob' really had anything to do with this 'Blog'?  Do you really think that people believe that 'He' sat down and wrote - or even dictated this - instead of some assistant/secretary and then turned it over to Alan & Co. to monitor?  I mean, other than BB a while back and his sole appearance, when was the last time an exec put in an ebay appearance, other than something like a press release or a 'Live'?

by gracieallen01 · Guide | Updated

"*34% conversion lift based on Q4 2016 data for sellers who went from a no-returns policy to 60-day free returns. Individual results may vary. eBay does not guarantee that each seller will experience the same lift."

What was the return ratio for those that received the 34% lift (due to free and increased return time) - compared to those who didn't?

Or, didn't ebay record that?

by selsa84 · Adventurer
selsa84
Adventurer

Just wondering what is going on with the refinements in the antique map category. Sometimes  you are able to refine to just originals but most times not., and sometimes when refined  to originals you still see the fakes and repros. Are they doing away with being able to weed out the fakes and repros? 

by gracieallen01 · Guide

More over, what was the ratio - increase or decrease percentage - of refunds, full or partial, verses those that didn't offer the increased return perk?

the_fancy_fox
Trailblazer

Why are the eBay bots not flagging those messages from buyers asking to do an off eBay transaction? Why even forward those to the seller?  Sanction THEM. Read the sellers board! People are getting flagged for sending information a buyer is requesting!

Personally, it makes me never want to answer an email from a potential buyer again.

Same with best offer, like I really want someone hounding me with low ball offers 10 times. I refuse to use it.

pay you to promote my listing? That's why I pay you to post my item in the first place! So you want more money to show my item, when that gets saturated then what? Pay more to get to the top of the heap? No thanks.

I already downgraded my store and went month to month. This camel is not going to handle much more.

So Bob, I have been here since 99. I changed my format to a store and up until March 2017 I had been a TRS. Every Year from 2011 to November 2016 I had seen my sales drop. Then In November and December of 2016 I saw an increase in sales and this year seems to be looking at a break out.

My question for you Sir is why does EBAY continue to try and reinvent the wheel? Items that are now listed as fixed price are going to be required to have instant payment made on them or they will not be considered sold and may be purchased by another buyer. This is going to cause confusion and many refunds of overpaid shipping charges to buyers who will want to try and combine thier shipping.  So many buyers I deal with hate the EBAY CART. As a seller these changes will do nothing but cause me head ache and be forced to refund partial shipping to keep my customer happy and become a repeat buyer. This will be at the expense of my profits as I will still loose the 10% fee that EBAY forced on us years ago for shipping which does cost money.

You may ask why I charge for shipping and I will tell you that I can still be cheaper than a seller that does not when it comes to say 7 items that vary in price. I would be happy to explain more, but my main concern is Ebays choice of policys that push our buyers to other sites.

Jamie Case

by mam98031 · Rockstar
mam98031
Rockstar

Ebay is NOT my "partner".  Ebay is the VENUE I have chosen to sell on.  There is a big difference between a partner and a venue.  Don't get me wrong, I respect Ebay has it's role for my business, but it does seem to get lost in the translation how Ebay translates that.  Ebay is FORCING some things onto seller that they are perfectly capable of making the decision about.  It is just not necessary to handle things like this unless your goal is to keep sellers off balanced. 

More specifically this IPR on BIN listings.  This isn't a new thing that Ebay is doing now.  It was part of one of the Seller Updates a couple years ago.  Ebay did start to implement IPR on all BIN listings and sellers did a bunch of complaining about it.  Ebay stated just what you said above, it was to assist us with NPB, but ultimagely stopped the implementation then.  And of course now it is back with no annoucement or consideration to the sellers.

IPR is NOT a new function on Ebay.  Sellers had the option if they CHOSE to use it.  For me I have a product line that I only post with IPR and a product line that I never use it on.  And that is MY DECISION.  I really don't know where Ebay gets off at FORCING us to use IPR and then say LOOK it will reduce NPBs.  I say OH LOOK, Ebay has help us to REDUCE our sales again!  This is NOT the kind of help we need or deserve.

Do I sound angry?  You bet I am.  IMHO Ebay has no business making a decision like this for me.  It is MY business NOT yours.  I have always had access to using IPR and I've made my choices as I described earlier.  This is NOT a decision for Ebay but a decision for sellers to make for themselves.  We are not stupid or incapable to understand the effect of OUR choice.  

Ebay continues to make decisions for us that are completely unnecessary and continue to add to the mistrust that many sellers have for Ebay.  It does NOT have to be this way.  But Ebay continues to practice certain things routinely that just add fuel to the fire.  These SURPRISE changes are a big reason.  Ebay made a promise years ago to give us a notice on big changes.  Something that will affect my sales I believe fits that description.  Yet somehow that hasn't been happening for a long time.  By doing stuff like this you show little to no respect for your sellers or what we think or want.

In case I didn't make myself clear.  I have NO desire for Ebay to FORCE IPR onto my listings.  There is NO need for it and I don't want it.  I prefer to make that decision for myself as I do now. 

by gracieallen01 · Guide

"by *******

Why are the eBay bots not flagging those messages from buyers asking to do an off eBay transaction? Why even forward those to the seller?  Sanction THEM. Read the sellers board! People are getting flagged for sending information a buyer is requesting! .........  "

Sanction a BUYER?  Possibly cause a ripple in the 'bottom line'?

You WERE joking, right?

bubbleman2010
Rockstar

In my world when a question is asked 6 different times by 6 different people and no answer is given and question isn't even acknowledged that is considered very impolite and rude. You lead by example these people are your customers and treating your customers with complete disregard doesn't paint a very nice picture....

theheadphonecompany
Trailblazer

Well if nothing else ... at least SOMEONE had the guts to "sorta" explain all thats been going on "with our partners" at eBay.

This blog post is simply "we got caught with our pants down lieing to our sellers YET AGAIN", so we had to put a face on it (cant use Griff - hes been used to many times before) so lets use BOB since he came from Apple and EVERYONE loves Apple.

Welcome Bob to the Mosh pit.

While APPLE can buy its way (entire companies, people, countries) out of issues - here at eBay its VERY different.  eBay has ZERO credibility - with its buyers - but most of all its SELLERS.

PLEASE - you're a NICE GUY - dont feed us the "PARTNERS" baloney - we arent buying it - we know better.

I personally asked @Trinton at least a half a dozen times about what SECRET tests were being foisted on us and he never bothered to answer, so where (now) did the MAGIC answers come from?

I know what partners means (according to Webster), what does it mean to eBay?

Does it mean FAKE Vero attacks? Does it mean unwarranted negatives? Does it mean malicious and vicious defects?

Why is it that eBay does as little as possible yet still screams out "PARTNER" ? Its more like an abused wife trapped in a marriage then a true business partnership!

Sellers (like me) are AFRAID to sell higher end items, certain popular items due to general fraud, returns fraud, fake SNADs - WHERES my partner when I need him?

Oh and Bob, can someone from eBay call me and WORK with me instead of just calling me to try and get me to spend money on sponsored listings ? Im not doing them - you get too much of my money AS it is.

The sellers on your site feel abused, hated, stepped on and WORSE - please - no more dirty tricks, no more live unannounced tests - we arent your lab mice.

Treat us with respect and there wont be any "off eBay sales" (btw you'd actually have to have sales for that to happen!)

Lastly, at Apple  - where they made KEYSTONE on their dealers - thats not how it works here - not at all. If you need a primer on how to sell on eBay - PM one of your good sellers and ASK. No focus groups, no fake MBA board meetings, no book cooking for the next quarter for Wall Street - PLEASE.

Lets get back to selling PLEASE, before the Amazon vs Walmart train runs us ALL over.

by a_c_green · Rockstar | Updated
a_c_green
Rockstar
gracieallen01 wrote:

How many folks , do you think, believe that 'Bob' really had anything to do with this 'Blog'?  Do you really think that people believe that 'He' sat down and wrote - or even dictated this - instead of some assistant/secretary and then turned it over to Alan & Co. to monitor? 

I don't believe Bob is any more than dimly aware of this "Blog" posting in his name, no. Certainly he has not shown any interest in responding to any of the comments (though I'll grant you that they're mostly not very complimentary). I did get a bit of a chuckle out of the fact of the 5 "Helpful" votes currently showing on his post here, two of them are from other eBay employees. Go team! Smiley Very Happy

He does make reference to his previous post at the beginning of 2017 (here) which generated 114 comments across three pages, but absolutely no one from eBay engaged any of the commenters there with any reply. 

I think it would be more accurate to call these press releases rather than blogs. The comment area doesn't seem to perform any useful function as far as generating any further dialogue at all.

by rainyaz · Adventurer
rainyaz
Adventurer

Audrey, Bob, give me a reply please.

On Ebay I have a growing store selling new bohemian clothes, imported from India, Nepal, Thailand. Colorful and individual very Ebay.

These clothes have a brand but no other codes. (no GTIN, UPC).

My listings are in great shape but in the UPC field I have to fill in "does not apply".

My business is growing and I am about to order a large quantity for the 4th quarter.

Do these regulations mean that my store is no longer possible on Ebay?

Sincerely,

by vintagecraze50 · Guide

Triton. Could you please email me on what you would do with a new old stock item, fine jewelry item. I am not sure if the fine jewelry category has to have one yet. These are brand name products but many do not have an identifier as they are hand made by a specific company and many of the old stock does not have the original bar codes on the boxes. Many of these are not made by this company anymore. I can probably look this up somewhere in the help section but I would probably still get a bit confused.

Requiring an immediate payment I think is a good idea in general. Rarely, we have allowed a buyer to do a mini layaway. However, when we have done it our customers have payed. Someone will see something rare and want to get it but they do not get paid until next week. For the most part though. People should be prepared and able to buy what they have committed to buy, and they should do it quick. 

by gracieallen01 · Guide
gracieallen01 wrote:

How many folks , do you think, believe that 'Bob' really had anything to do with this 'Blog'?  Do you really think that people believe that 'He' sat down and wrote - or even dictated this - instead of some assistant/secretary and then turned it over to Alan & Co. to monitor? 

I don't believe Bob is any more than dimly aware of this "Blog" posting in his name, no. Certainly he has not shown any interest in responding to any of the comments (though I'll grant you that they're mostly not very complimentary). I did get a bit of a chuckle out of the fact of the 5 "Helpful" votes currently showing on his post here, two of them are from other eBay employees. Go team!

He does make reference to his previous post at the beginning of 2017 which generated 114 comments across three pages, but absolutely no one from eBay engaged any of the commenters there with any reply. 

I think it would be more accurate to call these press releases rather than blogs. The comment area doesn't seem to perform any useful function as far as generating any further dialogue at all.

Over on the forum, Alan said he (Bob) would be back to answer some questions.  Even though he didn't say 'soon', it would appear that he really meant 'later' - if he can find his way.  (Say, wasn't there a song; "If he can find his way to San Jose'?)

Is there an 'ebay dictionary' or translator available somewhere?

by 5150motorsport · Scout

Bob,

Been on eBay since 1998 as a buyer and long time seller as well and I must say that since I'm not a newbie, I am very offended and feel insulted when a eBay executive is straight out lying to people like me (small business owners) who pay eBay's bills and make their execs millions of dollars so they can live their lavish lifestyle while we are struggling to keep the doors open and had to lay off last week the 2 people who were doing eBay listings for us. You write:

Duplicate and non-performing listings: To improve the speed and performance of the site, we recently completed an exercise of removing some listings that should be moving but haven’t had a sale for two years or more. That action is complete, but we continue to enforce eBay’s duplicate listing policy. If you have listings that haven’t sold for a year or more, we encourage you to update them to help your own sales. 

Let me explain to the average person what you're doing:

eBay is removing SMALL BUSINESS duplicate listings to make sure they do not compete with the big sharks and China giants who dump hundreds of thousands of listings and flood the market with garbage and screw buyers. I will give you an example we have been dealing with eBay for the past 6 weeks and they flat out REFUSE to do anything about it:
One of the major competitors who makes on average $1.6 million a month in sales on eBay (auto parts) has 322,000 listings and sells an average $53k a day in sales. How do they achieve this? Very simple we have carefully gone over their listings and they basically have 32,000 listings that they duplicate 10 times each giving them 322k listings. This is a trick that was done 15 years ago by sellers so they would show up more often but eventually you would think eBay caught on right? Well kind of...we called eBay and discussed many of the competitors listing showing up 10x on the 1st page and basically KILLING small businesses like us who only list the item once. We don't stand a chance to make a sale since those crooks (whom by the way have thousands of negative feedabck) own the 1st page of eBay. We showed their customer support one example after another and guess what? eBay REFUSES to remove the sellers listings. Why? Because they are out to kill small businesses and cater to the giant sellers very simple. Imagine how much they make on someone who has 322k listings and sells $1.6mill per month. Pays for many of eBay executives lifestyle that is why they protect them. Good thing Bob is that we know exactly how you operate and the destruction you are spreading in the small business community for years now (sales are down 80% by the way although listings are 4x as much as 5 years ago). I'm sure you don't have an answer for me but as a minority female immigrant business owner I will make sure to spread the THRUTH in my circle and eventually people will move on to other selling platforms. Best of luck to you and all these "great" things you're doing for sellers.

by mam98031 · Rockstar
mam98031
Rockstar

@vintagecraze50

Requiring an immediate payment I think is a good idea in general.
WHY?  If you like the idea of IPR, you have the ability to use it whenever you want to.  WHY must you be FORCED to use it?  I really don't understand.  There is NOTHING preventing you from using it now!  What makes it better when it is FORCED?
People should be prepared and able to buy what they have committed to buy, and they should do it quick. 
Then put the IPR on your listings now.  You have never had to wait until Ebay forces it.

In response to mam98031

I guess there have been a lot of complaints from sellers who do auctions and they get a lot of non paying bidders and that locks up their inventory for a short bit, AND a sale for Ebay for a time. We do mostly fixed priced buy it nows with immediate payment required. At times we had like the option to give buyers say a week until their paycheck comes in to pay for an item, and that has worked out ok when we use it.