Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All About eBay Browse Pages: The Benefits of This New Way to Shop

Share Post
News Team
News Team
Last Edited 05:23:29 PM

Sunglasses_500.jpg

We’ve noticed something lately. New online shopping patterns have emerged, especially with Millennial buyers. Instead of visiting specific online retailers for a single-purchase transaction, shoppers are using search engines to turn up results based on keywords.

This behavioral change means that buyers are looking for inspiration and guidance, and they’re more inclined to explore and discover to find what they want. That’s where our new browse pages come into play.

So, how will these new pages help browse-hungry buyers? Let’s say that you’re in the market for a new toaster oven. You type “toaster oven” into a search engine like Google, and start browsing until you’re inspired enough to click on the following link:

toaster oven.JPG

In the past, that click might have landed you on an eBay search-results page full of random toaster listings with no context or purchasing guidance. You might have even been overwhelmed with the options and no closer to determining what toaster to buy.

Not anymore. With our new browse pages, the results are organized in a way that helps buyers see what’s broadly available on eBay, but also equips them with the information needed to move quickly from consideration to purchase.

They can narrow down their selection based on Brand, Features, popularity, and more. And, if they’re curious about how other buyers rank a certain model, they don’t have leave eBay to do their research – they can access product reviews and even guides from this one page.

toaster oven page.png

Browse pages not only cater to this more Millennial way of shopping, but they also help any eBay buyer more readily find what they need and – this is the best part – what they didn’t know they wanted. As they’re scanning the page for their new toaster oven, they’ll also be exposed to dozens of other “Small Kitchen Appliances” in the side navigation. This cross-promotion happens on millions of items, not just toasters! Here are a few examples:

The most amazing part? All of these improvements were made possible by you. By adding Structured Data and Required Product Identifiers (RPIs) information to your listings, you allowed us to better organize site inventory and create a new, more relevant shopping experience for eBay buyers.

So, keep faithfully inputting your RPI data, and here’s how you’ll benefit from the new browse pages:

• Your item will get more exposure. When a shopper searches for your exact item by name, it will surface in the search results as usual. But, with the browse pages, it will also display as a result of related merchandising efforts.

• Browsers will be exposed to items they didn’t know they needed. A buyer might land on the Toaster Oven page, but realize that eBay sells countertop mixers, too (hey, it happened to Karlie Kloss). So, if you specialize in Small Countertop Appliances, now more buyers will see your items than ever before.

• Shoppers will have all of the information they need to make a purchase. Browsers will find reviews and guides related to the item they’re considering so that they don’t need to go anywhere else to do their research.

• eBay Browse pages will come up more naturally in search. Individual listings are no longer indexed by search engines once an item has been sold. However, browse pages are permanent, so keyword history is retained and eBay surfaces more readily in organic search.

Browse pages help us ensure that the right buyer sees your listings at the right time. We’ll continue to keep pace with new online shopping trends and keep you informed, so you can keep doing what you do so well – list and sell.

Have you already noticed the new browse pages? Let us know in the comments below. Also, feel free to share this article with your eBay peers via email and on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and LinkedIn.

12 Comments
theecobunny
Adventurer

I enjoyed this article.  I am genuinely excited about the possibilities eBay's structured data platform offers sellers. The second quarter of 2016 was “the first positive quarter of SEO traffic in over a year-and-a-half" according to a recent quarterly earnings call, and this was largely due to structured data.

by redrunner · Pathfinder
redrunner
Pathfinder

This mass (mess) marketing is terrible.  I no longer can see the items I failed to win so I

can more realistically bid this next time.  What happened to my "didn't win" page ???

Who knows if I am being bid up by a shill bidder?  When I search I am looking for

specific items not a bunch of "similar junk".  Very discouraging after 20 years on ebay.

by survivorsedge · Scout

Outstanding! Thanks for the insights.

by sfelectronicsbiz · Adventurer | Updated by Moderator
sfelectronicsbiz
Adventurer

I think it is always great to have a more structured area on ebay.  we always put upc cause customers are searching for those as well.

cdelight132013
Adventurer

Seems as if what made Ebay so spectacular has been forgotten!  In a nutshell, Ebay has become just another search engine for big business.      It is now difficult , to say the least, to find those 'One of a kind" items that do not have a UPC, RPI or 'Structured data'.   The Auctions were really what brought your faithful customers back time and time again.  They have nearly disappeared since the policy change and fees were added for auction listings.    Let's keep in mind just what put  Ebay  at the top of everyones 'to do list'!

buffalo$bills
Rising Star

I agree with the above comment. If you are enable to enhance of your listings, you are just left out in the cold. Auctions are no longer affordable to use. I have found that my listings do not get the same amount of traffic any more, even with using the "promoted listings" option. With close to 200 items (which may not seem like a lot) I truly don't have time to try to enter UPC numbers.  I have also found that there have been numerous times when the system does not accept the number I am trying to enter. Is this why my items are no longer getting the traffic they used to get from potential shoppers?

marlehouse2
Adventurer

No sales on eBay that's what I have experienced.  I only sell to resellers for ridiculous prices.  Your new search engine is a joke. Way to go, what a mess. 

yassemetaw_0
Enthusiast

goooooooooood 

cocos.curiosities5
Pathfinder

All of my products have already been listed with all specs included for over a year.  Even though I am below standard in shipping and have been put on a probationary period and was told my items would be placed on page 2 for 90 days and yet my items are still selling because of this new feature.  I dropship several of my items that causes me to enter delayed shipping info on these items.  They have hurt my progresssion scores.  I have noticed a slight decrease during this probabtion but am surprized that I am still selling items.  I believe this new format is the key to the strict ebay issues with their sellers and the high expectations they place upon us. 

audrey_tracy wrote:

Sunglasses_500.jpg

We’ve noticed something lately. New online shopping patterns have emerged, especially with Millennial buyers. Instead of visiting specific online retailers for a single-purchase transaction, shoppers are using search engines to turn up results based on keywords.

This behavioral change means that buyers are looking for inspiration and guidance, and they’re more inclined to explore and discover to find what they want. That’s where our new browse pages come into play.

So, how will these new pages help browse-hungry buyers? Let’s say that you’re in the market for a new toaster oven. You type “toaster oven” into a search engine like Google, and start browsing until you’re inspired enough to click on the following link:

toaster oven.JPG

In the past, that click might have landed you on an eBay search-results page full of random toaster listings with no context or purchasing guidance. You might have even been overwhelmed with the options and no closer to determining what toaster to buy.

Not anymore. With our new browse pages, the results are organized in a way that helps buyers see what’s broadly available on eBay, but also equips them with the information needed to move quickly from consideration to purchase.

They can narrow down their selection based on Brand, Features, popularity, and more. And, if they’re curious about how other buyers rank a certain model, they don’t have leave eBay to do their research – they can access product reviews and even guides from this one page.

toaster oven page.png

Browse pages not only cater to this more Millennial way of shopping, but they also help any eBay buyer more readily find what they need and – this is the best part – what they didn’t know they wanted. As they’re scanning the page for their new toaster oven, they’ll also be exposed to dozens of other “Small Kitchen Appliances” in the side navigation. This cross-promotion happens on millions of items, not just toasters! Here are a few examples:

The most amazing part? All of these improvements were made possible by you. By adding Structured Data and Required Product Identifiers (RPIs) information to your listings, you allowed us to better organize site inventory and create a new, more relevant shopping experience for eBay buyers.

So, keep faithfully inputting your RPI data, and here’s how you’ll benefit from the new browse pages:

• Your item will get more exposure. When a shopper searches for your exact item by name, it will surface in the search results as usual. But, with the browse pages, it will also display as a result of related merchandising efforts.

• Browsers will be exposed to items they didn’t know they needed. A buyer might land on the Toaster Oven page, but realize that eBay sells countertop mixers, too (hey, it happened to Karlie Kloss). So, if you specialize in Small Countertop Appliances, now more buyers will see your items than ever before.

• Shoppers will have all of the information they need to make a purchase. Browsers will find reviews and guides related to the item they’re considering so that they don’t need to go anywhere else to do their research.

• eBay Browse pages will come up more naturally in search. Individual listings are no longer indexed by search engines once an item has been sold. However, browse pages are permanent, so keyword history is retained and eBay surfaces more readily in organic search.

Browse pages help us ensure that the right buyer sees your listings at the right time. We’ll continue to keep pace with new online shopping trends and keep you informed, so you can keep doing what you do so well – list and sell.

Have you already noticed the new browse pages? Let us know in the comments below. Also, feel free to share this article with your eBay peers via email and on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and LinkedIn.

atticfindsgallery
Pathfinder

Every day I learn something New ! Ebay has carried me with a rhythm of words that keep me winning with my sales. Thank you Ebay 

by corriec5 · Rising Star
corriec5
Rising Star

As a shopper and long time ebay buyer and seller  I absolutely HATE the new shopping experience. When I search for an item and a category, I expect to be taken to the page with the listings, not an interstitial page that requires me to click through to the page I wanted to get to in the first page.  It's OK the first time I do a search but gets really annoying when doing multiple searches in the same session. 

I'd prefer if eBay gave an option to Pchoose to see a bunch of **bleep** we don't want tor go to the page we want to immediately. Thanks.

prairieprimitives
Adventurer

You say more than 75 characters in the title is good, yet you only allow us 80 characters!