eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
chax3
Community Member

Why are store sales down 2013 ? ? ?

I believe sales are down because ebay is giving free listings to mobile phone amateur sellers that naively think they can make a ton of money on ebay. Problem is they don't know how to research what the item normally sells for and start listings at 99 cents with free shipping  and of course that stuff is selling for 99 cents or 5 bucks. WHO can compete with that... when I have a similar item that normally sells for $20. These new sellers list with terrible photos (taken with cell phones); inadequate descriptions; never have any measurements for clothing; never tell you how big something is... they underestimate real shipping costs....etc etc

Can ebay really be making much money on these people when store sales have dropped drastically?  ebay CUT IT OUT!  After all, we are the ones who work hard to create our stores and rely on our meager supplimentary incomes from ebay... let's face it, no one is getting rich here. Now after years of hard work and a reasonably steady income from my 1000 item store... 3 or 4 bad months is nearly wiping me out. Anyone want to hire an old lady?

Please use plain text.
nearlymintcollectibles_com
Community Member

Re: Why are store sales down 2013 ? ? ?

in reply to chax3

ebay sales are down because they are constantly broke! I think ebay is loosing lots of buyers and sellers because of the continued mess here on ebay.  I don't think amatuer mobile phone users is the problem.   I'm hoping things pick up. I'm getting near my breaking point with ebay!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to nearlymintcollectibles_com

The summers are slow.   The economy sucks. People don't have that much money to spend. Postal rates are outrageous.  Add to that the 9% that ebay charges sellers that MUST be passed on to the buyer.    I wonder what would  happen ifEbay had a sale and removed the 9% shipping fees that they charge sellers.   Anyway, hang in there .  The fall is coming.

Please use plain text.
raxxillion
Community Member

in reply to chax3

My sales are up... I agree that it hurts when some noob undercuts your product line, but such sellers like that don't last long.  Take the oppritunity to snap up some cheap inventory and make a buck!

Cheers!

Roy

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chax3

Sales DOWN because ebay give free listing days !!

Is the end for my ebay store !!!

EBAY YOU SEE THIS WORDS ?? BY BY  NO MORE FEES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GIVE SOLUTIONS !!! EBAY you want fees ???????????? WE NEED SALES WE NEED BUYERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
jellybeanscloset412
Community Member

in reply to chax3

There are a few of these threads going at least once a week if not more.

It is really frustrating and defeating when sales are down.

What I've come to terms with is that it slow sales can happen at any time and are usually a combination of many different factors.

Some are due to Ebay and their search issues. Sometimes its the season, the economy, your inventory, your listing rates.

Sometimes its what Google is doing and so on.

There is no way to pin point exactly why one particular seller is having a bad month and others are not.

I used to have a brick & mortar store and it was the same thing. One week, couldn't keep the shelves stocked and the next, hoping for one sale.

I'm not trying to be snarky but any type of retail business in this current economy has to be prepared for slow times. If it is something

your business can't handle look into other avenues. There is always another way even it means closing down shop here.

In the meantime if you search for the old threads, there are some really smart people that give some really good advice on how to beef up business. Again its not for everyone!

Please use plain text.
prettywoman-2012
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to chax3

chax3 wrote:

I believe sales are down because ebay is giving free listings to mobile phone amateur sellers that naively think they can make a ton of money on ebay. Problem is they don't know how to research what the item normally sells for and start listings at 99 cents with free shipping  and of course that stuff is selling for 99 cents or 5 bucks. WHO can compete with that... when I have a similar item that normally sells for $20. These new sellers list with terrible photos (taken with cell phones); inadequate descriptions; never have any measurements for clothing; never tell you how big something is... they underestimate real shipping costs....etc etc

Can ebay really be making much money on these people when store sales have dropped drastically?  ebay CUT IT OUT!  After all, we are the ones who work hard to create our stores and rely on our meager supplimentary incomes from ebay... let's face it, no one is getting rich here. Now after years of hard work and a reasonably steady income from my 1000 item store... 3 or 4 bad months is nearly wiping me out. Anyone want to hire an old lady?

While I agree with you on several points, I believe the major culprit is the Cassini search software, which is not showing me what I want to look for. If it doesn't revert to some weird term completely different from the words I have entered for search, then it prefers to show me reptile print on EVERY single type of item (shoes, coats, bags, jeans) because I have once (1 time!) purchased something with python print on it. There is no way to remove, delete or reason with Cassini in any form. I had to log onto my friend's account to actually find what I was looking for, not once. Then I would have to write down the item nr, and go back to my own laptop and enter the item numbers for the items to be checked out further. This is absolutely ridiculous! At no other online site is the buyer held captive of previous searches, especially when those never resulted in any purchase. Whoever created Cassini must be ebay's worst enemy. It is a Halloween type of joke, similar to the Michael movies!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chax3

My sales are down to the point, that I am no longer listing.

The economy is bad, yes, but ebay charging a commission on shipping fees is akin to shooting oneself in the foot.

ebay is running itself sort of like our government-completely reckless!

instead of ebay helping sellers, ebay is taxing them to death....

Please use plain text.
thecrabdock
Community Member

in reply to maxwell072012

What do you really care if they research or not?  It just goes to show that if you do NOTHING but put up a half way good or even bad photo and someone wants the item, they will buy it.

Maybe it is US who are nuts to go to the trouble of researching and making great photos and writing winning descriptons only to have items not sell at all and sit for a long time in the store.   I have to wonder.

If you have what people really want, they will find it and they will buy it, which I have seen over and over again.

Yes, there are a lot of items I have had that I have listed way below what I even paid for them and they have not sold and you have to wonder....but the truth is.

List what they want at their price and they will buy it.

Please use plain text.
clact
Community Member

in reply to thecrabdock

I just wanted to comment on the price thing.

I do not think it is as important as it use to be. I think certain buyers are seeing certain items based on prior buying experience and prior selling prices of that item.

Oddly, this could work to your advantage. Say a buyer with a habit of buying BUY IT NOW items when they find what they want does a search for an item.

What makes most sense? Ebay showing them a bunch of lowball auctions and the rare low ball BIN, or perhaps a fair priced BIN item in the range of where these items sold before which is often double the price of the lowball? Where do they make more money?

It seems to me that this is being done from the variability in completed sales pricing that I am seeing.

In researching there are often low auctions, a low BIN or "lowballer" , some fair pricing BIN (fair meaning prices people have paid before) and then some really high ones.

I have been pricing above the lowballers and under the highs and it seems to be working in many cases. I am a very small seller but hit $700 last month , selling about 36 of 125 average store count.

The weird thing is I could never tell you what exactly I am selling because it changes every day, every month. These last few  days 3 of 4 sales were printer ink cartridges. A few weeks ago it was higher priced collectibles (boat model and quilt kits).

Someone from the board that posted a few months ago raised their prices after we talked and their sales went way up.

This whole system is wonky as I get weird search results and the mobile search is even worse as its excluding quite a few listings (I have posted about this in the past).

So far the key things I have determined are that..

1- Lowest price isnt always the most important thing

2- Sell-through is judged on a seller basis and item basis and I believe is the most important factor.

3- It seems like listing new items regularly helps dramatically , especially if those items sell.

4- Likewise longstanding older inventory should be culled or "rested" for a period of time as it is getting demoted even if it is good stuff at a good price that hasnt sold for whatever reason.

5- Each month I target inventory growth to cover all sales for the month plus add some. I usually struggle to get to that point because as I crank the listings out towards the end of the month things start selling more. I usually lag in the middle of the month and sales decline. So growing inventory seems to be important.

6- Collectibles and oddball items seem to be selling well. In the informal poll in one group I am in 80% of the people have higher sales, 5% lower and 15% same sales as compared to last year. (two other group members actually got their own reality show appearing on Spike TV in January called "Thrift hunters" or something. So these items are selling.

Advice is hard to give as things are all over the place and constantly changing. But if your sales are totally dead. Try ending your oldest and slowest stuff and pusing the stuff that can sell the quickest , build up a better sell through profile and then add more stuff gradually.

I am going to try to shop from some friends on the board here as I do every year for Christmas so keep posting so I can see your stores! LOL

Best wishes to all for increased sales! Remember the worst thing to do is to look dead! You need to appear to be growing and selling in this new system so hang in there!

Marty

Please use plain text.
jikeister
Community Member

in reply to chax3
Ebay blames the sellers constantly for the Post Office Damaging and Losing packages. The sellers are given low detailed seller ratings by the customers when it is the Post office, Ups, and fed ex who are shipping slowly and not getting things to the people on time. We should be held responsible for our uploading of tracking not for the F"ups of the shipping carriers. Ebay has its head head in the sand and need to support and protect their sellers just as much as they protect their customers.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chax3

Yea  It’s the  economy  that all the  people say all the time.  But people spend  $300.00 on a phone,$50.00 on a game and $5.00 or more  one beer. $100.00 or more  to see a football game.  I laugh to myself sometimes when I see seller s who sells some stuff a low price. When I know  much the items cost and the shipping cost and fees and they are making very little or losing money.  One product that you can only get on the east coast and most buyer are from the west coast.  You have to add in if you are doing free or flat rate  shipping.  I wish them the best of luck.  After a few months of losing money they may learn  but some people never do.

It is many factors the new sellers .  free listing,  China, the  economy, obama , heathcare,

He**   everything and everyone is to blame for sales being down.

Maybe there are just to many sellers selling the stuff you sell.

Please use plain text.
gooddeal-4-u-2
Community Member

in reply to chax3

Part it has to do with Ebay & China, Mexico etc...A large Part of it has to do with Ebay and the manner in which the buyer has to sort out all the alien junk. MOST DON"T KNOW HOW to sort USA MARKETS OR USED ITEMS and so they don't bother with Ebay any more.. it was once easy & simple! Ebay has made it easier for the seller but much more difficult for buyers Example put in Womens size 10 Top 75,000 items come up.I'd give up too! More Supply NOw then Demand..Part of it the economy.. the season & other reasons..Hang in.. It could be better!
Please use plain text.
joely760
Community Member

in reply to chax3

Just hung up phone with Ebay and closed my store after 2 years of making a nice living and 6 months of absolute nothing. Sales dropped so dramatically in June I was forced to focus on other avenues to move my constant flow of inventory. I mentioned to American lady on phone this drop and asked if she had any ideas. She told me that she had not heard anything about drop in sales for anyone and gladly helped me turn the lights off Jan 1'st. Still will sell alot, but I will open up multipe accounts and use free listings and not worry about DSR's or feedback any longer. We worked very hard to build up to 4-6 thousand a month and in June until now we have averaged between 700 to 2000. I told the lady to check the boards and see what the leading threads are day after day for last 6 months. Sad day for us. We put a lot of work into Ebay and had planned on making it a center piece of our business. Oh well on to the next thing. Good luck all!

Please use plain text.
prettywoman-2012
Community Member

in reply to joely760

joely760 wrote:

Just hung up phone with Ebay and closed my store after 2 years of making a nice living and 6 months of absolute nothing. Sales dropped so dramatically in June I was forced to focus on other avenues to move my constant flow of inventory. I mentioned to American lady on phone this drop and asked if she had any ideas. She told me that she had not heard anything about drop in sales for anyone and gladly helped me turn the lights off Jan 1'st. Still will sell alot, but I will open up multipe accounts and use free listings and not worry about DSR's or feedback any longer. We worked very hard to build up to 4-6 thousand a month and in June until now we have averaged between 700 to 2000. I told the lady to check the boards and see what the leading threads are day after day for last 6 months. Sad day for us. We put a lot of work into Ebay and had planned on making it a center piece of our business. Oh well on to the next thing. Good luck all!

Sorry to see you go. ".... had not heard anything about drop in sales for anyone." That is cute.

Please use plain text.
deserdog
Community Member

in reply to prettywoman-2012

Sales seem to be picing up a little, but it is like pulling teeth!!!

Please use plain text.