eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
jebarts
Community Member

NOTE TO EBAY MANAGEMENT RE ENHANCED PIX SVC

I an extremely surprised & dismayed by eBay's lack of management skills with respect to resolving issues of the part of their technical support staff. There are been many sellers on the community boards who either could not, or had great difficulty, downloading the recently upgraded Enhanced Picture Service. eBay's "Technies" had misadvised every one of these sellers to disconnect firewalls, delete cookies, change browser settings, or something similar. I use XPSP2 & found that there is ONE VERY SIMPLE STEP TO TAKE: DOWNLOAD JAVASCRIPT! The previous edition of the enhanced picture services was accompanied by a prompting by eBay to download Javascript---and YET, not one of your tech people even suggested this as a simple solution to downloading the upgraded picture service. If you do not attend to your Sellers, they will opt out of eBay, and your Stockholders, as your probably deserve for being so derelict, will follow suit!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jebarts
jebarts,
I currently use Java 2 Platform 5.0 - update 7. I went to java.com and requested an update on 6/12/0. I see the Java icon in the bottom window of my toolbar when I access the Picture page, but I still am having trouble uploading new pictures.
What I have found is that the entire page is now downloading completely and timely. I must wait approx 10-15 minutes. (I have a message on my toolbar, saying, "Downloading....") After 10-15 minutes, I get "Done". Then, I can press Continue and my pictures upload.
This is only happening with eBay pages. I am on the computer all day, and have no trouble downloading other websites.
Thanks for the input, but I have been struggling for over 5 weeks now, and like I said before, I have tried everything. If it was my computer, I would have difficulty SOMEWHERE
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jebarts
jebarts,
I currently use Java 2 Platform 5.0 - update 7. I went to java.com and requested an update on 6/12/0. I see the Java icon in the bottom window of my toolbar when I access the Picture page, but I still am having trouble uploading new pictures.
What I have found is that the entire page is now downloading completely and timely. I must wait approx 10-15 minutes. (I have a message on my toolbar, saying, "Downloading....") After 10-15 minutes, I get "Done". Then, I can press Continue and my pictures upload.
This is only happening with eBay pages. I am on the computer all day, and have no trouble downloading other websites.
Thanks for the input, but I have been struggling for over 5 weeks now, and like I said before, I have tried everything. If it was my computer, I would have difficulty SOMEWHERE else. Don't ya think?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jebarts
http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200606.shtml#2006-06-19150215

This is a fairly recent announcement regarding enhanced picture services.
The only thing I can think of is IF you use a pop-up blocker...perhaps you're not getting/seeing the Prompt to download the new Active X Control Class Object.

Beware the button that takes you to a "Log In" page.
It's the lastest trick in spoof emails!
Always check in My Messages First!

Please use plain text.
jebarts
Community Member

in reply to jebarts
Phillymomx--thanks for your advice and for relating your experience. I only downloaded the Enhanced Picture Service and just relisted an item. I did not try to upload new photos----!
Please use plain text.
jebarts
Community Member

in reply to jebarts
phillymomx2--thanks for your advice & for relating your experience. I only was successful in downloading the Enhanced Picture Service and just relisted an item. I did not try to upload new photos from my PC---

My intent here is to have other sellers with problems let eBay management know how upset they are and direct their comments to Management itself-----this may finally affect eBay's standing with its stockholders!

Thanks again for your response.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jebarts
To clarify points made in this discussion, despite the name similarity, Javascript and Java are two actually different and separate technologies.

Javascript is built into every modern Web browser, including Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Safari. You never have to download and install Javascript independently of browser updates that you download from the browser vendor. On Windows systems, "Javascript" does not appear in the Add/Remove Programs list.

Java is a widely used software application "platform", with different versions for personal computers and for servers, and the personal computer version is often pre-installed by computer manufacturers. Sun Microsystems developed Java with contributions from other vendors and provides downloadable updates on the java.com website. Upgrading your personal computer to a new version of Java from Sun installs over 50MB of files (look in C:\Program Files\Java on your hard drive; also, files are added in various folders under C:\Windows). On Windows systems, you will see "Java" in the Add/Remove Programs list after it is installed or upgraded.

Javascript is used extensively on eBay Web pages including those where pictures are uploaded to eBay Picture Services, both for Enhanced and Basic Picture Services. In addition, Java is used pervasively on eBay servers (that is what the "Java Technology" logo on the top right of many eBay pages refers to). On the other hand, Java on your computer is NOT used for any features of eBay Picture Services; the only uses for client Java that I could identify are in Live Auctions and as one option for Live Chat customer support. Put another way, you do not need Java installed on your computer to upload to eBay Picture Services. If you see the Java icon at the bottom of your screen when using eBay Picture Services, it's because Java was started to support some other activity.

So, if that is the case, how can updating Java on your computer have any effect on eBay Picture Services features? The most likely explanation is that this is a side-effect: some file or configuration information in your system or browser software was corrupted, and the Java installation process coincidently fixed the system features that were preventing Picture Services from working. The Picture Services problem is fixed, and that's great, but that's not because Java was broken or because is required to use Picture Services features on the eBay site. If you are having a problem with Picture Services that is due to some issue on your computer that is not touched by the Java installation, then installing Java might not fix Picture Services for you.

Augy
eBay
Please use plain text.
jebarts
Community Member

in reply to jebarts
Augustus: thanks for your input; however, I downloaded Javascript and subsequently was able to download your updated Enhanced Picture Services successfully. The Javascript may have been inadvertently uninstalled when the Enhanced Picture Services was upgraded by eBay techs.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jebarts
Hi jebarts,

You can enable/disable Javascript within the browser (usually in a "Preferences" or "Options" dialog window), but I don't believe you can uninstall/re-install it, unless you are uninstalling and re-installing the entire browser software package.

If you went to java.com, downloaded software, and installed it, then that was "Java", not "Javascript". I stress these points because while that worked for you--and I'm glad it did--it might not work for others.

Augy
eBay
Please use plain text.
jebarts
Community Member

in reply to jebarts
Augy: thanks again; at this point, I'm now not sure exactly which I downloaded; I do not have a "Java" icon to indicate that I downloaded that; I was under the impression that I had downloaded a Microsoft product called "Javascript" (I previously had downloaded their "Active X" update---but that hadn't helped me download Enhanced Picture Services from eBay.) I had been using the Enhanced eBay Picture Services since its inception; prior to downloading either Java or Javascript, I was unable to download the upgraded Enhanced; however, I was able to use the Basic Picture Service, which you indicated previously also needed Javascript. Interesting!
Please use plain text.
jebarts
Community Member

in reply to jebarts
Augy, I wish you to know that your explanation of the difference between Java and Javascript and how they are applied is "awesome" and very, very helpful. It's very good to have a knowledgeable programmer or technical person explain these issues to people who may use the computer a great deal, but who have less than professional expertise in understanding the basis of a program which they may be using. Thanks again. And, most importantly, it reinforces eBay's credibility, particularly to sellers on the site. It's great to know that someone on staff is watching.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jebarts
jebarts...

There is a possibility that you may have downloaded MicroSoft's Windows Scripting (VBScript - Visual Basic).

As for the scripting engine within Internet Explorer, the last update for that was approximately three3 years ago... However, since you are running XP-SP2, you likely had the most current edition. Though it can get damaged, which is repaired by using the IE repair feature. If after tbe install you were required to reboot your computer, you may have gone through a repair process.

Good Luck!
Please use plain text.