eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
16jun67
Community Member

Final Value Fee On Shipping Charge

If I understand my PayPal account information correctly EBAY has begun charging a FINAL VALUE fee ON the money the buyer pays a seller for shipping. This absolutely sucks, considering that shipping FUNDS GO DIRECTLY FROM THE BUYER TO THE CARRIER AND TYPICLY END UP BEING A BEST UNDERESTIMATE WHEN THE AD IS CREATED. I typically end up paying more for shipping than the posted amount. In fact just did so today; paid out $4 more than billed. What a bunch of POOEY!!! Does EBAY not already get a fair, OR MORE THAN FAIR, for the item sold?
Greed seems to be a virus these days.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Final Value Fee On Shipping Charge

in reply to 16jun67
If I understand my PayPal account information correctly EBAY has begun charging a FINAL VALUE fee ON the money the buyer pays a seller for shipping. This absolutely sucks, considering that shipping FUNDS GO DIRECTLY FROM THE BUYER TO THE CARRIER AND TYPICLY END UP BEING A BEST UNDERESTIMATE WHEN THE AD IS CREATED. I typically end up paying more for shipping than the posted amount. In fact just did so today; paid out $4 more than billed. What a bunch of POOEY!!! Does EBAY not already get a fair, OR MORE THAN FAIR, for the item sold?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 16jun67
Sorry I just reposted your post :smileyhappy: I wasn't sure what to do. But anyway... the fair sellers are being punished for the sellers over charging for shipping. I've done the math, and it's going to cost us more to sell on ebay. (LIKE THEY DON'T CHARGE ENOUGH ALREADY!) I'm seriously reconsidering what I'm selling on ebay, or if I'm even going to keep selling and putting up with the constant fee increases, especially with the price of gas going up. (usps shipping's probably going up again too) After July 6th, no more big heavy items, only small inexpensive things. I think this will greatly affect the kinds of things available on ebay. Too bad so sad, ebay is slowly but surely sucking all the fun out of selling :smileysad: but I'm hoping it survives yet another fee increase.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 16jun67
It's a price increase....get over it. Do you rant and rave at the gas pump too? Or at the food store?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 16jun67
Ebay is all about Greed !!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 16jun67
EBay is a business....yes they are all about greed. Get over it.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 16jun67
I looked at several posts of ebay people who thought it was ok (very few). They did not sell a thing in the last 90 days. I wouldn't care what the fees were either if I wasn't selling anything. They did have a lot of buying transactions and a few whined to the seller about shipping charges. Maybe the seller added on the 11% final value on shipping and 3% paypal. About 14 % the seller has to suck up. The cost just got passed on to the buyer or sell somewhere else. Guess what,now the buyer is upset because shipping is two high. Get used to , gas went up to.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 16jun67
No a price increase would be on the selling price not shipping!! I am a small seller I can't write it off like others can. There is a difference in raising fees and charging fees on items you have no business charging them on. Had ebay raised thier fees that would be fine with me. However selling a 9.99 item overseas it can cost about 30 or so bucks to ship! Why should I pay a final value fee on 40 dollars when I only sold the item for 9.99! Also if you do that math that means to break even I would have had to pay less than 3 dollars for the item....that isn't making a cent! Obviously you don't sell overseas and you haven't sold for long and don't know what your talking about!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 16jun67
EBay is a business....yes they are all about greed. Get over it.

no kidding and yet they stay
Please use plain text.
wildflowers64
Community Member

in reply to 16jun67
E-bay is a business, so like it or leave it. I dont know how I would sell things from my home to people all around the world without them. They are putting an end to dishonest sellers who sell exspensive items for $1.00 and charge 100.00 for shipping. Fee percentages are going down and they will be charging us now for shipping.. It is what it is... I'll make it work....
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 16jun67
Business.Just is what they want.Maybe.
Please use plain text.
geolyn87
Community Member

in reply to 16jun67
E-bay is a business, so like it or leave it. I dont know how I would sell things from my home to people all around the world without them. They are putting an end to dishonest sellers who sell exspensive items for $1.00 and charge 100.00 for shipping. Fee percentages are going down and they will be charging us now for shipping.. It is what it is... I'll make it work....

Yes, Ebay is a business. A huge business that could care less what you think or how you do your business. Sellers have always been rated by the buyer. Whether thay are rated fairly or not, Ebay weeds you out according to truth, lies, unfair remarks, and inaccurate information. They have "experts" that look at legitimate items and pull them off the auction boards claiming they are fakes. It is all about the almighty FEE. It has nothing to do with dishonest sellers. Do you think that Ebay is charging a final value fee on shipping and handling just to keep the thieves charging exorbitant shipping charges in check? Hell no! They want a piece of that pie. You have to keep the company in the black and pay the shareholders. Wake up, everyone. I think it's a big steaming pile of S, but pass the buck like everyone else does. Raise the rates and the sale price to compensate for the increase. It's what Ebay wants you to do. You'll get to balance out the money you want to make and Ebay will get a little more in the process, which is what they were shooting for in the first place.

And as far as gas prices and all the other garbage going up all around us, I can complain about ebafees because this is MY business. "I" am looking to make a profit. Maybe I don't feel like having to raise my rates because my sales will go down and I won't make as big a profit anymore. And whether I sell once a month or a thousand times a day doesn't make a difference. I am still looking to come out ahead. Ebay wasn't designed to lose money and they prove that to us every time some new rules come into effect. Why should a seller have to lose money, no matter how small they are. The smaller guys sometimes sell the greatest things. Is this going to become another Mom and Pop shop destroyer? But, at this point, it's become too big to care anymore. Ebay has made it's name and cemented itself into the world of massive business conglomeration. There is little any of us can do to change anything, no matter how much influence they claim we have.

Ebay says "Tell us what you think." But if you speak, they tell you where to go, but leave your money first.

Wonder how long my account will stay in good standing now?

All the best.

G.
Please use plain text.
signal.noise.ratio
Community Member

in reply to 16jun67
I have nearly 1600 feedbacks as a buyer, and I am inflamed with the unethical policy eBay has forced on sellers! I am NOT a seller but a buyer only, and now eBay is ripping off the buyers (me). I have come across many sellers who are selling at other auction sites with the same userid as they use on eBay, but the shipping cost on those sites is exactly the percentage final value fee less that eBay is charging here. One item had shipping at $9.95 on eBay but $8.95 on the other auction site, and I messaged the seller and I received the reply that "if eBay is going to rip me off, then I have no choice but to carry over those costs to buyers ... I'm sorry." I didn't get upset with the seller as this is an eBay ripoff scam! Again, I have 1600+ POSITIVE feedbacks, and my buying habits are going to get next to zero. I'm sick of this eBay ripoff scam. If eBay loses thousands of buyers such as myself, they stand to lose MILLIONS and MILLIONS of dollars. If you're a shareholder of eBay stock, you should take heed of this reply.

Please use plain text.
signal.noise.ratio
Community Member

in reply to 16jun67
I respectfully 100% disagree with your response. I have nearly 1600 feedbacks here on eBay as a buyer, and yes I have been ripped off literally 100s of times on shipping. But, I disagree with your generalization that the policy was instituted to "putting an end to dishonest sellers ... etc." as it is quite an atypical response of a person who has thrown in the towel per se. No, it is not okay to attempt to fix a wrong with a wrong. 1 + 1 = 2 no matter how you do the math, and the end result in this case is that sellers will simply carry the cost of the final value fee over to the buyers and eBay will do nothing (literally). The ONLY service this policy provides is to line eBay's pockets with money they could not beforehand touch. If it was a matter of doing the right thing, then eBay could easily simply force sellers to use the PayPal online shipping only, and whatever the cost of the label would be is the limit. eBay could easily figure a nominal cost of packing materials to add to that amount so that sellers could not even mess with shipping cost amounts. Yes, eBay has been sent this suggestion by many, many, many buyers such as myself, but it stands to reason that it won't help eBay's profit margin, so it's not a logical resolution (eBay's favorite theme). I mean no disrespect toward you, but you are catering to eBay's unethical ploy which hurts buyers more than sellers. I gave up on eBay doing right when I was charged $129.99 to have two boxes shipped via UPS that only cost the sellers $44.72 total (that includes the cost of the hospital boxes salvaged from a dumpster which they shipped in). So, I was robbed of over $80.00 and did I get my money back, not a penny. But, eBay had no problem taking that 10% from the shipping cost. How's that for ripping buyers off? Not all sellers who have high shipping costs are "dishonest" but make HONEST mistakes which they correct after the fact. I have had that happen often, so your generalization is rather unfair and not well thought out in my humble opinion.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 16jun67
LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING, THEY HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR A LONG TIME, THEY JUST STARTED TO TELL YOU ABOUT IT, I TRIED TO TELL PEOPLE ABOUT THIS LAST YEAR AND EVERYONE TOLD ME I WAS WRONG.BUT I NOTICED THIS LONG AGO. THATS THE REASON I DON'T SHIP OUT OF THE U.S. ANYMORE, THEY RAPE YOU WITH THE CHARGES.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 16jun67
CHECK OUT SOME OF THE NEW PLACES TO PUT YOUR ITEMS ON, STARTING OUT JUST LIKE EBAY DID IN THE BEGINING BEFORE CROOKS TOOK OVER.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 16jun67
I read some of these post and have no doubt they are employed by ebay like the ones who say get over it.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 16jun67
I started selling on another site also I still sell some items but not as much on Ebay every time updates come out you are getting the shaft.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 16jun67
yes they are charging you now on your shipping cost supposedly to keep shipping down but we all know its just ebays greedy way of getting more money out of the sellers. well im going to start charging a handling charge! I have been selling on ebay since 1997 and i have about had it with Ebays greedyness! I closed my store because the fees jumped like 300% in one jump now i only put a few things on when its free listing. selling on outher avenues now. No more ebay street!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 16jun67
Its remarks like yours and the lack of action that is putting this country in the toilet and thats where ebay will end up to because like the song says WE ain't gonna take it! Maybe u are but WE opt for standing up to ebay , I closed my store which had over 500 items at a time and im only listing on free listings .
Please use plain text.