cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

Time and time again, I buy something on Ebay, I pay immediately with PayPal, and the seller does not give me any feedback until after I leave it for him first.

This is agains Ebay policy I am almost sure. A bit ago Ebay changed policy so sellers could not leave "retalitory" feedback, that is giving a buyer bad feedback who paid quickly, just because they gave well-deserved bad feedback for a good reason.

This ruined the feedback system for ebay, making it useless.

Now, apparently most sellers simply hold off on giving feedback as long as possible. Are they hoping the buyer gets tired of waiting? Are they hoping the buyer simply slips up and leaves it before they are supposed to?

Whatever the reason, there is no GOOD one for not leaving positive feedback for a buyer that pays lightning fast with PayPal. The buyers job is done at that point, and done very well.

Then it is up to the SELLER to pack the item well, ship it promptly, and have the item be as described in the auction.

If the seller screws up or sells something that is not as advertised, then they damn well deserve bad feedback so that the next buyer can be informed of the bad apple.

So in a nutshell, if you are a buyer on ebay, lets start holding that feedback back until the seller does what they are supposed to for a prompt-paying customer. And if they do not leave feedback, lets report them to Ebay so the feedback system is not compromised as it once was, and so buyers can be properly informed of a sellers performance when they are shopping.

Thanks
Message 1 of 425
latest reply
424 REPLIES 424

i dont leave a feedback till i get what ordered and its in good shape, then i leave the feedback. i dont have any grief with that :). its all good. ive had sellers leave me feedback right off to which makes me feel good and i come back as a repeat as a customer. i guess its a judgement thing
Message 2 of 425
latest reply

Of course a buyer can not really give feedback on a seller until they receive the item they purchased and can inspect it first hand.

Right now I have three items I bought in hand that I payed for instantly with PayPal weeks ago, and as of yet have not got any feedback from the seller for quickly paying for them.

One even sent me an EMAIL thanking me for quick payment, but did not leave feedback saying this yet.

And these three instances are very typical, at least every other seller does the same thing.

There is something amiss here that needs to be addressed. I follow the rules as a seller and as a buyer on ebay, and I think it would work best if everyone else did,
Message 3 of 425
latest reply

Hepple:"Where does it say (in eBay rules) that a buyer should be 'rewarded' for paying for the item he bid on & won?
Last time I checked, paying was a requirement...
Feed-back is NOT."

Hep, no one was talking about that, Feedback for sellers is not for winning the auction, it is to reward the buyer for PAYING PROMPTLY, which is what they are supposed to do, get it now?

Hep said:
"Considering the present climate on eBay as to Sellers rights...I suggest you try walking in a seller's shoes BEFORE you post on a public forums condemning sellers for waiting to leave feed-back.."

I have sold a hundred items or so on ebay, and I have had no problems at all as a seller

Hep said:
"Actually from a seller's point of view, feed-back is useless...."

Great Hep, then quit giving it out, buyers will quit giving it to you, and when you are sitting there with zero feedback someday, that is not going to make any difference in your sales?

Message 4 of 425
latest reply

OP - As a buyer, I totally understand your frustration.

But Feedback is, and always was, voluntary. Where is it stated that sellers must leave feedback first?

Are you buying an item or feedback?

As a seller, I don't leave it first anymore. The transaction is far from over just because the buyer paid "fast". If a buyer emails me and says "I received the item and it's great, blah, blah, blah, then yes, I will leave them feedback first.
Due to ebay and their ever ongoing rules, we sellers are not able to leave honest feedback anymore, so some sellers have given up on it.
Message 5 of 425
latest reply

OP - As a buyer, I totally understand your frustration.

But Feedback is, and always was, voluntary. Where is it stated that sellers must leave feedback first?

Are you buying an item or feedback?

As a seller, I don't leave it first anymore. The transaction is far from over just because the buyer paid "fast". If a buyer emails me and says "I received the item and it's great, blah, blah, blah, then yes, I will leave them feedback first.
Due to ebay and their ever ongoing rules, we sellers are not able to leave honest feedback anymore, so some sellers have given up on it.

Ditto!
Message 6 of 425
latest reply

rickmandick
Enthusiast
the feedback system here is starting to suck like on amazon. i make 20 sales and one will leave feedback. i have a new paypal account so they hold my money for 21 days. if no feedback is received then i have to wait 3 weeks for money. im glad i have 2 actual storefronts, craigslist and amazon to ease the pain of waiting
Message 7 of 425
latest reply

Rick- if you supply Paypal with the dc# showing the item was delivered, your money will be released to you.
Message 8 of 425
latest reply

dukeslayer
Enthusiast
I always give feedback automatic when the buyer gave to me... If i leave the feedback first.. And buyer received the item still gave me negative feedback i think i will cry..
Message 9 of 425
latest reply

As a buyer I always leave feedback when the item is received. As a seller I used to give feedback when payment was received. Now, because so many buyers do not leave feedback, I do not leave feedback until it is received from the buyer. As a seller I can not believe how many buyers do not leave feedback.
Message 10 of 425
latest reply

ningjin1688
Enthusiast
I am new on eBay, I post from Taiwan.

I agree with ilivewith3.

Early this year, I sold a set of very fine second hand sofa with very low price on Yahoo Taiwan.
After I dispatched the sofa for about an hour (the time the soaf was supposed to reache the buyer's hands), I called the buyer confirming if she had received the safa. She said yes, and happily thanked me for such good sofa with such low price.
So I left a positive feedback for the buyer, and waiting for her feedback.
But the buyer never left me any feedback.
I sent her an email remind her to leave me a feedback, but she kept slient.

After that, I was thinking maybe I should keep my feedback until a buyer give me a feedback feedback first.

Any way, I understand how wlkngdshbg feel.
wlkngdshbg, had you send emails or left any message to the seller to remind him/her to leave you feedback?
Message 11 of 425
latest reply

lifeboatblue
Enthusiast
Hi there, I sell as well as buy on ebay and always leave feedback as soon as my item arrives and I am happy with my purchase, I think it is only polite to let sellers know items have arrived and are OK, most ebayers are small dealers not huge conglomerates, so this matters to them, As a seller I always wait until my buyer leaves feedback or lets me know they are happy with their item, as I dont believe my side of the bargain is complete until items have arrived and the buyer is happy.
Message 12 of 425
latest reply

smartchip2009
Enthusiast
Thanks wlkngdshbg, it helps to me if sometime i want to look for feedback by buying items.
Message 13 of 425
latest reply

Sellers have every chance to make GOOD on any complaint.... but trigger happypeople like yourself make it impossible to SELL!!!!
Message 14 of 425
latest reply

wow I am so lucky I guess, because I never have problems with my sellers. It's a buyers marketplace and I love it ...

Buy Baby Buy ...

Feedback merely serves as an acknowledgement of obligation. There really isn't much more to it than that ...

As soon as the seller receives the payment, the buyer has fulfilled their obligation and thus the seller should award them with feedback ...

As soon as the buyer receives the item in good order, the seller has fulfilled their obligation and the buyer should award the seller likewise ...

I love my sellers. They treat me great and that's why I keep returning to buy from them. I provide prompt feedback to everyone I buy from. My personal feedback score is really not that important to me, as long as it's all positive. I should have a much, much higher score than I do but I most often buy multiple items from the same seller and the same time, but I don't really care about the number itself, just the reliable reputation that goes with it ...

To those sellers who complain about no longer being able to leave neutral or negative feedback, I feel your pain. That was not a good decision ebay made regarding your right to do that. There have been occasions where I have lost a certain auction, and later the seller will ask me if I'm still interested in owning it, because the auction winner decided not to pay for it. Bad feedback to that buyer should somehow be appropriated. So to the sellers: I'm not one of you, but I'm on your side on this issue. You should indeed still be afforded the right to provide the 'appropriate' feedback certain buyers deserve ...
Message 15 of 425
latest reply