cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

Time and time again, I buy something on Ebay, I pay immediately with PayPal, and the seller does not give me any feedback until after I leave it for him first.

This is agains Ebay policy I am almost sure. A bit ago Ebay changed policy so sellers could not leave "retalitory" feedback, that is giving a buyer bad feedback who paid quickly, just because they gave well-deserved bad feedback for a good reason.

This ruined the feedback system for ebay, making it useless.

Now, apparently most sellers simply hold off on giving feedback as long as possible. Are they hoping the buyer gets tired of waiting? Are they hoping the buyer simply slips up and leaves it before they are supposed to?

Whatever the reason, there is no GOOD one for not leaving positive feedback for a buyer that pays lightning fast with PayPal. The buyers job is done at that point, and done very well.

Then it is up to the SELLER to pack the item well, ship it promptly, and have the item be as described in the auction.

If the seller screws up or sells something that is not as advertised, then they damn well deserve bad feedback so that the next buyer can be informed of the bad apple.

So in a nutshell, if you are a buyer on ebay, lets start holding that feedback back until the seller does what they are supposed to for a prompt-paying customer. And if they do not leave feedback, lets report them to Ebay so the feedback system is not compromised as it once was, and so buyers can be properly informed of a sellers performance when they are shopping.

Thanks
Message 1 of 425
latest reply
424 REPLIES 424

Re: Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

"To ensure all parties are represented equally in the feedback system, the buyer should leave feedback first in the transaction once the item is received and meets his or her expectations.  It is then the seller should leave his / her feedback after seeing the buyer both paid in a reasonable amount of time and the buyer was kind and worked with the seller on any kinks that may have come up."

The above was extracted directly from eBay see link below. 

Who should leave feedback first?

Message 316 of 425
latest reply

I fully agree with e-Bays view on feedback.

It's understood that we don't ship until paid.

It is therefore assumed that the buyer paid.

It is the review of the product and the integrity of the seller from the buyer that is really important and an unknown until the buyer responds.

Posting a positive review for a buyer paying for what he purchased may be polite... as a thank you....but has no meaning.

Message 317 of 425
latest reply

The text below is not derived from eBay policy.  It was written as a guide by a user:

To ensure all parties are represented equally in the feedback system, the buyer should leave feedback first in the transaction once the item is received and meets his or her expectations.  It is then the seller should leave his / her feedback after seeing the buyer both paid in a reasonable amount of time and the buyer was kind and worked with the seller on any kinks that may have come up.

The best recommendation to prompt sellers to initiate feedback first is for the buyer to send a short message confirming receipt of the item.  If sellers are invested enough to want feedback, they will engage accordingly.

Message 318 of 425
latest reply

Apologies overlooked the source and the way it looked I assumed from ebay.

All in all feedback given to buyers can't be negative anyway. It matters to sellers and matters the most to those who have their money held because they only sell an unwanted items/gift once a year if not longer thus not meeting eBays new stupid policies for release of funds! If you are the buyer you received your goods as described and are happy with it then leave feedback! If you have your goods why shouldn't the seller get their funds?

eBay is now all about the buyer not the people paying them the 'Sellers' ....soon they will end up with no sellers! They need to wake up and realise there are many other cheaper and much better options for sellers out there these days. eBay is the middle man should be treating both Buyers and Sellers as equals!

Message 319 of 425
latest reply

Do you think it would be well received if I sent this type of a message to the buyer.....

"If you have any concerns, please contact me before leaving feedback and I will do my best to resolve any issues. If you are satisfied, I would be grateful if you would leave me positive feedback. Thank you so much for choosing to trust me with your business."

Message 320 of 425
latest reply

Bull - ' ' ' '  !!  A buyer's pymt is NOT the last thing they can do. Just because they paid does not show their 'true nature'. I saw where an excellent seller with over 800 transactions and a 100% perfect feedback recieved a negitive feedback because,...and I quote; SELLER PROMISED DELIVERY IN 2 DAYS AND IT ARRIVED ON 3RD ".  So, even if a buyer pays instantly does not mean the buyer is not an incensitive malicious selfish non-sensible jackass nutcase. So here are two suggestions. 1) Ebay needs to quit making  these promisses on a seller's behalf because priority mail does not always deliver in 2 days.    2)Never give a buyer a feedback untill they give one to you, the seller. One cannot give a negitive feedback to a buyer,which is totally unfare,but at least the 'nut case' will have one less undeserved "Positive" feedback. Hey, I wonder if any sellers have actually given a Positive feedback which read  "This  Malicious Nasty buyer gives out negitive feedbacks for no good reason.

Message 321 of 425
latest reply

Well put ! FACT>Sellers are armed with only 'kid gloves' when combating an irate illogical buyer. Buyers are armed with a kid glove on one hand, and 'razor wire' on the other. Once a buyer pays they can go on to ruin a pristine reputation.(Of course, there are dishonest sellers who should be booted off!)
Message 322 of 425
latest reply

A buyer's 'activity' IS NOT complete once they've made payment. The buyer's activity is complete only after they've given their feedback. (And really,even then, they still have leverage over the seller for 6 months.) Honest sellers are armed with only 'kid-gloves'. Buyers are armed with 'razor wire', and can destroy an honest seller's reputation if , by their very nature, happen to be thoughtless misserable individuals. Case in point... An honest seller had about 800 positive feedbacks and one negitive. When I checked the negitive, I could not believe what the buyer wrote.  " Promised delivery in 2 days, arrived on the 3rd!"  Then I looked-up the buyer's feedbacks,and there it was, the feedback given by the seller  "AAA Excellent Buyer, Fast Payment , Hope to see again."

Message 323 of 425
latest reply

I always used to be one to leave feedback as soon as an item was received and as expected... regardless if they had already left feedback or not. Sellers have changed my mind though. In the past 12 months... 10% of sellers left feedback prior to me leaving feedback for them, an additional 30% left feeback after receiving it from me and 60% of sellers couldn't be bothered to leave feedback even after positive feedback was left for them.

I understand both sides of the coin, but more and more it seems sellers are loosing sight of "customer service" and some "sketchy" sellers are using feedback more as leverage. There will always be a buyer who just can't be placated as well as sellers that are attempting to misrepresent their products. That's just a reality of doing business.

For me? I'm just a buyer and it's no skin off my nose if my feedback score goes up or not. I realize it's more important for a seller, but what I'm being TAUGHT lately... the majority of sellers could really care less about leaving feedback once feedback is received from the buyer. There is absolutely NO incentive for them to do so. They have my money and my positive review already.

To that end.. I no longer plan on leaving feedback for any seller that doesn't bother to thank me for my business. Waiting for me to thank them for selling to me, accepting my money and confirming that they sold me what they said they were going to before thanking me for my business (or more often than not... not even then) is just ludicrous.

Message 324 of 425
latest reply

Hear, hear restorationz! You said it, civility is just icing on the cake in a business transaction as courtesy and thankfulness is not a fundamental requirement when exchanging money for goods/services. Highly recommended to be kind and courteous, but not essential to transacting a deal.

Sellers withholding feedback until receiving it first tend to have too much emotional stake in business dealings and take over exaggerated offense at the thought of a stranger posting anything negative against their actions. Reminds me of the same mania against using red pens to grade papers in school. Feeling fragile and threatened is not a resilient approach to online commerce, nor much of anything else.

High volume pro sellers more often invite buyers to post feedback by doing so first on their end. Buyers still retain the freedom to be fair and honest in return or deceitful and spiteful regardless. I do like to be courteous, so when I buy I simply message the seller directly and let them know that an item arrived or not in order to conclude the transaction. Engaging in feedback is then entirely in the seller's corner to initiate.
Message 325 of 425
latest reply

Ive given sellers feedback and received nothing in return...that's why I don't give feedback until I receive it. Seller is in business I'm not. If a seller doesn't give me feedback because of laziness of whatever, I can't make them give it to me, meanwhile my measly amount of feedback stays measly. I can think of a half dozen sellers I left feedback to, to receive nothing in return.  Of course there are buyers that are ignorant and do things on purpose, but a seller has to move on. A good buyer knows to look past the stupid negatives a seller might get ( 1 out of 800 ) like you say, Good sellers give an automatic reply after you pay, they don't have time for 1st grade child games. If I don't get feedback from a seller, I find another one. Good sellers will always get negative feedback at some point, it's the nature of the system. It doesn't affect my buying decision unless there is nothing but bad feedback.

Message 326 of 425
latest reply

Why does a seller need a pristine reputation? Do auto makers have that? Do restaurants have that? Does Amazon have that? Does your local grocery store? No. If you conduct yourself as a good seller should and not a play child games, buyers will come. Negative feedback means nothing to most buyers unless it's a majority of feedback.
Message 327 of 425
latest reply

It keeps me coming back so I guess you are mistaken.
Message 328 of 425
latest reply

This is a very good post and states what I've also been saying. I used to leave feedback and received nothing from sellers, no more.

Message 329 of 425
latest reply

I do much more buying than selling, but use the same account for both. My 100% feedback over just shy of 20 years is an immense source of pride for me, and I don't want to risk it. As a seller, I always wait for the buyer to either leave + feedback or let me know something is wrong so I can fix it no matter what it takes! I always leave + feedback to a buyer who's satisfied. I don't look at it as a childish game at all!

Flick

Message 330 of 425
latest reply