cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

Time and time again, I buy something on Ebay, I pay immediately with PayPal, and the seller does not give me any feedback until after I leave it for him first.

This is agains Ebay policy I am almost sure. A bit ago Ebay changed policy so sellers could not leave "retalitory" feedback, that is giving a buyer bad feedback who paid quickly, just because they gave well-deserved bad feedback for a good reason.

This ruined the feedback system for ebay, making it useless.

Now, apparently most sellers simply hold off on giving feedback as long as possible. Are they hoping the buyer gets tired of waiting? Are they hoping the buyer simply slips up and leaves it before they are supposed to?

Whatever the reason, there is no GOOD one for not leaving positive feedback for a buyer that pays lightning fast with PayPal. The buyers job is done at that point, and done very well.

Then it is up to the SELLER to pack the item well, ship it promptly, and have the item be as described in the auction.

If the seller screws up or sells something that is not as advertised, then they damn well deserve bad feedback so that the next buyer can be informed of the bad apple.

So in a nutshell, if you are a buyer on ebay, lets start holding that feedback back until the seller does what they are supposed to for a prompt-paying customer. And if they do not leave feedback, lets report them to Ebay so the feedback system is not compromised as it once was, and so buyers can be properly informed of a sellers performance when they are shopping.

Thanks
Message 1 of 425
latest reply
424 REPLIES 424

Re: Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

Most buyers don' even bother leaving feedback for sellers, so I stopped leaving it for buyers unless they leave it first

Message 301 of 425
latest reply

I totally agree with your viewpoint Sololil. Buying something is not an action worthy of positive or negative feedback. Thanks for this very clear and helpful explanation!! 🙂
Message 302 of 425
latest reply

Most buyers are great folks, like most folks are great people. But like with anything in life, there are the low lifes that want to make somones life miserable, and on a perticular day as a seller we are unfortunate to have that person buy from us. 

I had two people this week try and scam me and I called them on it. I have a way in communication with them where they get to the language like: "If you do this for me, I will give you positive feedback:. Then I tell them to go pound sand, in a nice way of course, they then leave negative feedback, i call ebay, they see in eBay messages that the BAD BUYER viloated ebay feedback polices and my negative is removed and I am free to warn other sellers on his feddback page.

The worst buyers can also be sellers who know how their buyers manipulate the system and then try to do the same themselves, these are the lowest of the low on ebay and should be taken off for good. Like I said, just like in life, ebay has its good and bad citezens. If you treat someone the way you would like to be treated, give them good service and COMMUNICATE well, then it's a happy place. Will there still be LL's, of course, it's life. 

Message 303 of 425
latest reply

I completely disagree.  The buyer's part of the transaction is completed before the sellers', so the seller has the information to complete feedback first.

The transaction goes like this:

Buyer wins auction/buy it now/etc.

Buyer sends payment, so the buyer's activity is completed, therfore the seller can leave feedback on whether the buyer paid in the required time, etc.

In other words, since the buyers actvitiy is completed the seller should leave feedback on the buyer.

They buyer cannot give accurate feedback until the item is received.  This is the last part of the transaction and therefore the last that requires feedback.

If the buyer receives the item as described and within the time frame the seller advertised, then the buyer should report posivive feedback.

The only reason for a seller to wait and leave feedback until after the buyer does, is for retaliation.  If feedback from they buyer is unfair, EBay needs to havea  process to account for this.   I thought they did but I don't know how well it works.

Message 304 of 425
latest reply

Thoughtful commentary.  Other people should read it.

Message 305 of 425
latest reply

Oh wow.  Not sarcastic here - you deserve the say it like it is EMMY. 

Message 306 of 425
latest reply

Best tactic to deal with sellers who cannot handle imaginary risks of leaving feedback first is for buyer to send a simple message confirming receipt of item(s) in good order.  This eliminates the excuse that a seller doesn't know whether items arrived, even when delivery confirmation is typically sufficient proof for the dispute resolution process.

A transaction is clearly completed after buyer sends an item(s) received message.  Whether or not to engage in trading feedback is then squarely on the seller to initiate.

Message 307 of 425
latest reply

Um if Paypal is holding my funds, I absolutely will not ship. Money in hand before item in mail.
Message 308 of 425
latest reply

I could only agree if the seller is mandated to leave feedback
Message 309 of 425
latest reply

You messaged me via eBay  about 10 days ago but when I try to reply to you eBay says I can't respond to a message that is over 90 days old. Crazy! Did you ever find the TX-Nikon adapter?  I wouldn't contact ypu lie this if eBay behaved itself.

Message 310 of 425
latest reply

Please, there is some link to check all Sellers that didn't give me a feedback?

And how can I require them to give me a feedback?

Thank you

Message 311 of 425
latest reply

I totally blame eBay, the management are very weak, they have to force the seller when he received money he should put his positive feedback. NOT waiting until buyer to put his feedback.
If you claim officially to eBay, they answer with nice words without forcing the seller to put his feedback.

My opinion is: eBay managment very weak, there aims only how much they get profits only.

Message 312 of 425
latest reply

I actually had a seller message me the following:

"Once you recieve the item, please leave positive feedback for me. Once you have given me positive feedback, I will give you positive feedback in return."

...Nice little threat there eh? I couldn't believe she thought it would be okay to even said that. I propabably should have messaged her back and said "That's not how it works. I've done my part, and you've been paid promptly."

I just chose to ignor her and didn't leaver her feedback at all.

Message 313 of 425
latest reply

I am both a buyer and seller. I probably buy more than I sell, as Ebay makes it really hard to do well as a seller.

When I buy I pay the moment i have purchased/won an item, and I leave feedback for the seller as soon as the item is received. I do not deserve feedback for doing this - I am merely doing what any retail outlet customer is expected to do - buy, pay, get out.

Yes, let's get something clear. Buyers do not deserve feedback. All they are required to do is pay promptly and this is not something that deserves any praise. Are customers at the supermarked praised ? "Well done for paying for all your groceries at the checkout!"

A customer's satisfaction should come from the fact he/she has just acquired a new toy - the end.

In fact, Ebay should allow sellers to black-flag (negative feedback?) any buyers who bid or buy and then do not pay.

Sellers have to do all the hard work. Taking photos of the item, drafting a suitable description, researching market value, answering buyer's queries, packing properly, shipping promptly, following up if there are any hangups with shipping, dealing with unruly buyers, relisting items that were purchased and never paid for, etc etc etc.

Sellers who do this well deserve positive feedback. Buyers who receive a good item quickly, and well packed, and do not even leave feedback are clearly deluded or simply rude.

This is my point of view as buyer and occasional seller.

Message 314 of 425
latest reply

What??? What if the buyer dies you dont get paid because he didn't leave feedback? That's the funniest thing I ever heard. The seller leaves feedback because I'm happy??? How about because I paid them and shopped from them. I never received feedback from a seller that stated "Thanks for being happy" Matter of fact, I have left positive feedback to sellers about 5 times in the past and never received any from them...I have four other sellers that are waiting for me to leave feedback right now before they do. I'm not. Why should I? They may not leave me anything.  If I have a problem with an item , I would have already contacted them through email to resolve the problem. Some sellers seem upset that they get negative feedback or none at all and decided to take it out on honest buyers like myself? WELCOME TO SALES AND DOING BUSINESS SELLERS! If I get no feedback, I leave none and never use that seller again. That's how I contribute to their attitudes.

Message 315 of 425
latest reply