cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

Time and time again, I buy something on Ebay, I pay immediately with PayPal, and the seller does not give me any feedback until after I leave it for him first.

This is agains Ebay policy I am almost sure. A bit ago Ebay changed policy so sellers could not leave "retalitory" feedback, that is giving a buyer bad feedback who paid quickly, just because they gave well-deserved bad feedback for a good reason.

This ruined the feedback system for ebay, making it useless.

Now, apparently most sellers simply hold off on giving feedback as long as possible. Are they hoping the buyer gets tired of waiting? Are they hoping the buyer simply slips up and leaves it before they are supposed to?

Whatever the reason, there is no GOOD one for not leaving positive feedback for a buyer that pays lightning fast with PayPal. The buyers job is done at that point, and done very well.

Then it is up to the SELLER to pack the item well, ship it promptly, and have the item be as described in the auction.

If the seller screws up or sells something that is not as advertised, then they damn well deserve bad feedback so that the next buyer can be informed of the bad apple.

So in a nutshell, if you are a buyer on ebay, lets start holding that feedback back until the seller does what they are supposed to for a prompt-paying customer. And if they do not leave feedback, lets report them to Ebay so the feedback system is not compromised as it once was, and so buyers can be properly informed of a sellers performance when they are shopping.

Thanks
Message 1 of 425
latest reply
424 REPLIES 424

Re: Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

Since sellers can only leave positive feedback when they sale an item and if you only buy you will always have %100 positive feedback.

Sellers can't tell you apart from the scamming buyers.  ALL buyer profiles are identical.  What good is it?  Not much.  Some sellers have discontinued participation in the feedback system as a result. Unless ebay allows sellers to leave negitive feedback for buyers, I think ebay should make it so Sellers can not leave feedback at all. It would take the burden off my to reply to buyers asking for feedback. I have heard of  scammers building up feedback by buying low price items then start a selling scam...

Message 286 of 425
latest reply

I never comment, but recently got a negative feedback 2 months after the transaction so i feel a bit angry and wanted to vent.

The buyer should leave feedback first. 

Feedback is NOT a 'thank you' for being a customer. Feedback is NOT a review of the product sold, (in most cases). Feedback is a review of the other party in the transaction.

The buyer should leave feedback first, because if there are any issues, he can allow the seller to respond. If the seller is agreeable, then great, the buyer's issue can be resolved. Postive feedback can and should be left. If the seller is disagreeable, negative feedback is warranted.

If a seller leaves feedback for the buyer first, that does not give the seller a chance to review the buyer, because the buyer's duty has not been finished. if a issue comes up (item is bad, buyer is unreasonable, etc.), how can the seller respond retroactively if he's already left feedback? Theres no way. The seller can only 'review' the buyer after his part is done. After he has received his item, made sure its what he wanted, and then left feedback of the seller. At that point the buyer's responsibilities are done.

Only at this point can the seller say that the buyer is good or bad, but not before. This is especially important on more expensive items.

Larger volume sellers leave automatic feedback because they're processing hundreds if not thousands of items every day and they simply dont have time to bother with leaving individual feedback. For them its understandable, but the reason they leave feedback first is circumstantial, not obligatory.

Again in summary: the buyer should always leave feedback first. 

Message 287 of 425
latest reply

The buyer's duty is not only to the speed he pays. It is their responsibility to confirm that what he got is what he wanted. This is done by leaving the seller feedback. 

If a seller says 'great buyer' right after payment, and the buyer turns out to be a scammer, what can the seller do? Absolutely nothing. 

Message 288 of 425
latest reply

The solution to understanding the why buyers should leave feedback is simple: Imagine you are a Seller. Someone buys something from you. 

You say, GREAT BUYER. Then they come back tomorrow and tell you to give them their money back or they'll leave you negative feedback. 

Would you still call them a 'GREAT BUYER?'

A seller cannot review a buyer until after they've confirmed what they've gotten is what they want. Which is done by leaving *surprise* feedback for the seller. 

The thing with buyers on this forum demanding sellers leave instant feedback is they're always a buyer, and never a seller. you need to view feedback from both points of view. 

Message 289 of 425
latest reply

Under eBay's "new" system, they should just remove feedback for the buyer altogether.

It serves no purpose, except to confuse people on when feedback should be given, resulting in less feedback given for those that actually need it - sellers. It also allows crooked sellers to build up "100% positive" feedback by purchasing sub-$1 items in order to scam new buyers (or lazy veterans) who don't fully understand how the system works.

I believe that eBay actively monitors crooked buyers and disables their accounts if they continue to scam people, since payments are done through PayPal. I have looked back on buyers who have tried to scam me and seen their accounts disabled. They probably tried one too many times. I have also had negative feedback overturned years later by eBay when these buyer's accounts were disabled.

Do I think the system is perfect? No, but the old system had the opposite problem - giving sellers too much power. It also did not reflect real life - sellers never get the chance to give you negative feedback if you buy something from a physical store.

As an equal part buyer and seller on eBay for over 15 years, thats my opinion.
Message 290 of 425
latest reply

I understand the point of view, however, from a buyer's point of view outside this context, feedback promotes the vendor to maintain a higher quality of service. For some, Ebay feedback is also a Best Practice methodology, that creates rapport and continuing business between entities. To deny a seller feedback, whether they are 'sub-$1' or small business sales, this feedback is necessary form of shaking hands, saying thank you, and keep up the good work.
Message 291 of 425
latest reply

Despite the fact that this thread is rediculously old and has been resurrected multiple times, I just want to add my two cents as a recent seller.

It seems to me that the feedback/rating system has become uncertain, and a lot of the time sellers use their feedback as collateral against random, spiteful ratings from buyers.  So many times I've heard the stories (some of which have been told here) where sellers receive communication saying things are good, only to give feedback first and receive problems from the buyers afterward.  If there was more of a history of buyers communicating problems BEFORE leaving negative feedback, I don't think sellers would be so reticent to be first to rate in a transaction.

Message 292 of 425
latest reply

As a Buyer, i have bought many items and left positive feedback first. Many sellers on the other hand never leave any feedback after I have. So now I wait for the Seller to leave feedback first. Sellers need the Buyer's, the Buyer;s dont need the Sellers. I can find what I need elsewhere, not just on Ebay. Your local stores, restaurants, etc... need the "Buyer's" not the other way around. A seller needs to make Buyer's happy at all costs. Bad feedback from Buyer's is the price of doing Business. Does your local Restaurant make you pay before you get your food (when you dine in) because someone prevously ran out on their check? No. And when you do pay first (fast food for example) they bend backwards to make you happy. Buyer's dont have to be kind, sellers do to stay in business. Sellers should leave feedback first. As others have said, paying quickly is my only obligation as a buyer, besides of course being honest about the transaction. A Buyer not leaving feedback is like not saying "Thank You". As a Seller, you should always say "Thank You".

Message 293 of 425
latest reply

WRONG attitude.  I can't stand it when sellers act like they're doing a favor to consumers.  By virtue of the fact that a seller asks, no, "begs" for someone to spend "their" money purchasing their goods, then the moment the seller receives payment, that seller should leave positive feedback.  

I'll throw it back at you: when has it ever been said that "the buyer needs to prove he is right?"  What you mentioned as the problems that occur after the seller leaves positive feedback for the buyer "comes with the territory" of being a seller - i.e. someone who voluntarily listed their products on ebay in begging hopes that someone would spend their hard earned money on them.

Sorry, but the buyer "is" always right....otherwise, don't subject yourself to the whims of buyers, no matter how irrational they are.  After all, "you" listed your products for sale.  And please understand, I'm not talking about "scam" buyers, but regular, normal consumers.

Personally, I'm getting sick and tired of sellers whining all the time "gee, it's so hard being a seller."  Then don't sell anthing !!!.

One seller (I should say "smartass" seller) made the "bs" comment about "what you buying, a product or feedback?"  I have the absolute solide answer to that absurd and unnecessary question:  I'm PAYING for BOTH!!!"  And one is equally as important as the other - because Ebay is the culprit for starting this "bs" system to begin with.  So don't criticize a buyer (spending "their" money) for playing by Ebay's system set up.

Message 294 of 425
latest reply

I haven't been selling long, but I just give feedback the day I get a notification the package I sent arrived at its destination.  Not only am I giving feedback first, but it's kind of a friendly reminder that hey, if all went well, please leave some feedback for me as well, doesn't have to be all 5 stars, just want to be assured we're good.  

What do you guys think?

Message 295 of 425
latest reply

It's simple. What are you leaving feedback for?

As a buyer you need to review the item before leaving feedback. If you're happy with the item you've just purchased then you leave feedback.

As a seller you must ensure the buyer is happy with the item they've bought from you. When you know they're happy you can now leave feedback.

PayPal will sometimes hold funds until the buyer has left feedback. So a seller who has left feedback for receiving payment, may not have received anything at all. While the buyer already has their item they bought at home.

I am not being biased as I have had significantly more buys than sells on eBay.

TheMadScot

Message 296 of 425
latest reply

eBay has made things some what challenging on "feedback" their fault,  That said it is still very important for both party's to post feedback period.  Before bidding I read seller feedback. Buying and selling, I can sort through the BULL pretty fast on both party's. This takes a whole 2 min out of my time

My bidding process.
1. If I have uneasy feeling, before I bid I ask a question.  No reply = no bid
2. Read negs, sellers that won't reply to negs = lazy sellers (most often power sellers)
3. Understand who is doing the negs, low FB score buyer = complainers (most times)
4. Multiple negs, over same thing REDFLAG  like (no commutation) or other
5. Read how fast a seller ships view  "item sold" see when sold VS.. FB response
6. Read everything before bidding including when they ship after payment
7. If I have time to buy it, I have time to pay for it  I don't auto bid
8. Don't impulse buy, there will be lots more to bid on

This system works well for me, FB is my main source for buying, For sellers and buyers that get their little feeling hurt over who posts FB first is just stupid, get over it.  Good communication, fast pay, fast shipping, prompt honest FB is the key.
 Sellers need to get it through their head, no buyers= no selling, the only reason you are here!  The same goes for buyers, you are here to try to save a buck, other wise the store is just down the road. i.e. I just bought trout lures and saved $60.00 bucks over ordering online.
 It all boils down to sellers want to make money and buyers want to save money. We have to make the system work together and getting into a p- contest about who posts FB first is counter productive it  is important for both party's.  And yes I have been burned before, get over it and move on it's a chance you take anytime you buy or sale online  There are times that things can and do go wrong just takes a little looking to see what's going on. I have seen net/negs then a good reply, careless hit the wrong key, or don't understand how it works. I still can tell what's what.
Just my take on things

Message 297 of 425
latest reply

Ok yeah, as a buyer and seller leaving feedback first has no bearing on the other party. Some understand the value and do it as a courtesy if all is well, others could care less (both sides of the fence but not so much sellers on this one though I have dealt with a few). Also, partial refunds, don't agree to them, request a return instead before a full refund, if they leave negative feedback, reply to the feedback professionally while countering the argument, for example, if you sell a similar item all the time and describe the condition accurately and someone disagrees with your description, point out that it never has been a concern for the other buyers, a quick review of the buyers feedback sent would tell if the buyer is just too hard to please. Sorry for tangent, just addressing a few points I saw in the comments all in one post. For the one that was upset when sellers claim they are always at a disadvantage, I agree with you but in the end they usually realize that there is really no other option without the customer base eBay has and normally they stay put (Amazon is close, but their policies really do screw over sellers in regards to feedback and whatnot), in other words, your complaint is valid but it will never change
Message 298 of 425
latest reply

Guyfroml - I reread your post then I checked your FB, I am not clear on what vendetta you have against sellers other than for the most part you only buy (last feedback received as a seller 10/7, last one prior to that was 2013). I agree that sellers have it better than most complaints in the forums but there are rotten apples on both sides and the buyer is not always right, the FB system allows rational customers to make rational decisions based on their FB, not every buyer looks for the same thing in a seller and quite honestly some requests that buyers make are ridiculous (I had someone that wanted me to cancel a listing so I could sell to him face to face, told him no, started begging me, repeated my no, then tried to negotiate terms of my "auction", not a buy it now, essentially trying to have me settle outside of eBay because a one day listing was too long for him - it was a baseball card from a product that came out the same day I listed it) so, a reasonable seller understands the value of the buyer provided the buyer is reasonable but to say that the buyer is always right (whether referring to eBay policy or personal belief) is just a bit much. At the end of the day the FB score speaks for itself, you and I have 100% though most of mine is from selling, it allows rational buyers to seek rational sellers to do business with AND for a rational seller to prepare for possible contingencies from a buyers history, not a perfect system but I don't see a better option
Message 299 of 425
latest reply

Let's compare this to buying something on QVC or Old Navy like I do many times....I buy a sweater on both sites and wait for my product. Do I get feedback or a review from them as buyer just because I bought a sweater on their sites? No...I don't....  They have my money and have no idea whether I love this sweater enought to keep it because I don't have it yet !!!! 

Someone in this thread said since the seller is asking for money, the seller should leave the feedback first. The seller is asking for money? No, they aren't - the SELLER has a product or products to SELL - in EXCHANGE for money that is OFFERED. I as a seller am not asking for money...I , as a seller...am showing you my products....it is up to you as a buyer to offer me money for an item or items.

After about a week or 10 days after I get said sweaters from QVC or Old Navy..I get an email asking for a review of the product. This to me is the seller asking for feedback as it were. I usually do leave a review...this helps other buyers to feel secure about the product they are buying in reading reviews as to fit, quality and delivery.

The SELLER (QVC , Old navy et al) is ASKING for the review AFTER the product was received from the buyer...hence, I feel the same way on ebay...the buyer knows they sent their money...and the seller knows they got the money. Tell me you like the product AFTER RECEIPT of product and leave the feedback..and within a day of receiving said feedback - I as the seller will leave a positive feedback and a very nice comment for the buyer.

I would like to feel I could leave the feedback first as a seller...but I can't anymore...it really is about who has the last action..and that is the buyer who received the product..this is more logical.

This thread was very helpful and presented very good arguments for both sides...but I  am sticking to my opinion...buyer leaves feedback first...with a mandatory feedback then from the seller.

Message 300 of 425
latest reply