cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

Time and time again, I buy something on Ebay, I pay immediately with PayPal, and the seller does not give me any feedback until after I leave it for him first.

This is agains Ebay policy I am almost sure. A bit ago Ebay changed policy so sellers could not leave "retalitory" feedback, that is giving a buyer bad feedback who paid quickly, just because they gave well-deserved bad feedback for a good reason.

This ruined the feedback system for ebay, making it useless.

Now, apparently most sellers simply hold off on giving feedback as long as possible. Are they hoping the buyer gets tired of waiting? Are they hoping the buyer simply slips up and leaves it before they are supposed to?

Whatever the reason, there is no GOOD one for not leaving positive feedback for a buyer that pays lightning fast with PayPal. The buyers job is done at that point, and done very well.

Then it is up to the SELLER to pack the item well, ship it promptly, and have the item be as described in the auction.

If the seller screws up or sells something that is not as advertised, then they damn well deserve bad feedback so that the next buyer can be informed of the bad apple.

So in a nutshell, if you are a buyer on ebay, lets start holding that feedback back until the seller does what they are supposed to for a prompt-paying customer. And if they do not leave feedback, lets report them to Ebay so the feedback system is not compromised as it once was, and so buyers can be properly informed of a sellers performance when they are shopping.

Thanks
Message 1 of 425
latest reply
424 REPLIES 424

Re: Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

The only thing the Buyer can be rated on is their speed of payment. Once I buy an item and pay for it, there isn't anything else I can be rated on. The Seller should leave feedback on that even before they ship the item. The Buyer shouldn't leave feedback until the item arrives and is inspected. It's simple: The Seller leaves feedback 1st based on speed of payment, the Buyer leaves feedback 2nd based on the item being correct.
Message 256 of 425
latest reply

How does the seller know the goodshave been delivered. The buyer givesfeedback upon satisfactory completion of sale. 

Message 257 of 425
latest reply

Message 258 of 425
latest reply

I gave my last 3 buyers a good feedback. None of them gave me a feedback.  I am assuming the article arrived in good shape since I have not received any complaints. I get a message on my listing reminding me to give a feedback to the buyer. Does the buyer get the same message to give his seller a feedback? I have sold other items prior to these 3 that also did not receive feedback. It seems unfair.

Message 259 of 425
latest reply

i do believe this may fall under the (Feedback extortion policy)

Buyer : i sent you and you received payment in a timely manner.

Why have you not given me positive feedback?

Seller : I Am Not going to leave you positive Feedback until you give it to me first!

Message 260 of 425
latest reply

I know the item arrived because it was sent priority mail and it was tracked.

Message 261 of 425
latest reply

As a Buyer I've paid in a timely fashion and have been informed of the item being shipped and provided the tracking info the Seller also has this same info. The Sellers now knows when the package has been received. I feel that the Seller should then give feedback. As the Buyer I've always inspected my item before leaving feedback how else could i without recieving the item first. But it seems the growing trend is you leave me first then I'll leave you but the entire transaction starts with the Buyer and should end with the Buyer. As a Seller you take the risk at receiving negative feedback like as a Buyer I take the risk of receiving something I didn't want whether damaged or misrepresented.
Message 262 of 425
latest reply

@ricketts62 wrote:

My friend sent several e-mails and appealed to eBay.  She got a refund through eBay.  She had not even left feedback for the seller when she looged onto her account and saw this from the seller (Negative Feedback) "Look out for this Motel Dweller who will try to hold you up for free goods" (maybe not verbatim but close)....

So, abusive sellers like that are the ones that made it bad for every seller and now sellers cannot leave neutral or negative feedback for buyers.

Wow, that was a LONG time ago! It has been many years since sellers could leave negative feedback! You do know that, right? Sellers are ONLY allowed to leave positive feedback, no matter what.

Message 263 of 425
latest reply

Although feedback is entirely optional, its still a common curiosity. On both parties.
Message 264 of 425
latest reply

For the longest time I've been a big believer in sellers leaving the feedback first. But I have now changed my mind. I thought sellers should only base their feedback on how timely the buyer paid. I didn't take into consideration that there are shady buyers out there who will receive a good item then open a case saying they received the wrong item or defective, etc. So I now believe as a buyer that I should leave the feedback first if everything arrived on time and as described. Sellers can't leave negs or neutrals anyway and they can't say you never paid since mostly all transactions are verified.

Message 265 of 425
latest reply

So today got my 1st negative feedback from a Buyer saying he didnt receive the item. Tracking shows he did, he didnt open a case nor did he contact me. Closer inspection shows he leaves negative feedback for all purchases and so eBay reversed my neg feedback from him. However...as I had left feedback for him (positive of course) immediately after the item shipped, I had no recourse to remove or edit my feedback for him after the fact (eBay will not remove the positive feedback I left for him). Lesson learned...I leave feedback after the buyer. I wont have my good business name used by the buyer to dupe other sellers into thinking he is a good eBayer. His username is blaze2786

Message 266 of 425
latest reply

IMHO, The best time for the seller to leave feedback is when the tracking shows the item has been delivered. Once the buyer has paid up, you shipped the item, and it has been delivered it is a done deal. The whole feedback system is so messed up that it is over rated, literally, so that the sellers get no mercy from even hitting the wrong button. What ebay needs to do is have SEPERATE buying and selling feedback so the abusive buyers can get the shoe if need be. Something simple like, pos neg neutral and the reasons to pick from ie; Paid on time, Communication, etc. FWIW, I noticed they added a new metric to the feedback; Was the item delivered by ___ date? Yes or no...  I do a LOT of overseas business and this one might cause trouble since countries vary on shipping time. Oh well play the game and roll the dice.

Message 267 of 425
latest reply

As a buyer i leave feedback after i receive and check out the product. As a seller i wait for the buyer to do the same. Pretty much all the cards are with buyers.
Message 268 of 425
latest reply

Most buyers don't want to jump through that many hoops. Ebay used to be more explicit about the idea that feedback went both ways. We are all human beings supposedly so the rules should apply equally.
Message 269 of 425
latest reply

In reply to tournicutty:
How about if both buyer and seller leave feedback AFTER the COMPLETION of the transaction. As a buyer you need very little if any feedback to buy...as a seller you need more feedback for credibility.
Message 270 of 425
latest reply