cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

Time and time again, I buy something on Ebay, I pay immediately with PayPal, and the seller does not give me any feedback until after I leave it for him first.

This is agains Ebay policy I am almost sure. A bit ago Ebay changed policy so sellers could not leave "retalitory" feedback, that is giving a buyer bad feedback who paid quickly, just because they gave well-deserved bad feedback for a good reason.

This ruined the feedback system for ebay, making it useless.

Now, apparently most sellers simply hold off on giving feedback as long as possible. Are they hoping the buyer gets tired of waiting? Are they hoping the buyer simply slips up and leaves it before they are supposed to?

Whatever the reason, there is no GOOD one for not leaving positive feedback for a buyer that pays lightning fast with PayPal. The buyers job is done at that point, and done very well.

Then it is up to the SELLER to pack the item well, ship it promptly, and have the item be as described in the auction.

If the seller screws up or sells something that is not as advertised, then they damn well deserve bad feedback so that the next buyer can be informed of the bad apple.

So in a nutshell, if you are a buyer on ebay, lets start holding that feedback back until the seller does what they are supposed to for a prompt-paying customer. And if they do not leave feedback, lets report them to Ebay so the feedback system is not compromised as it once was, and so buyers can be properly informed of a sellers performance when they are shopping.

Thanks
Message 1 of 425
latest reply
424 REPLIES 424

Re: Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

Anser me question
Message 241 of 425
latest reply

YeA
Message 242 of 425
latest reply

As an avid ebay buyer and a seller for years I have to say as the buyer I don't expect to receive feedback until I give it to the seller. When I receive my item and everything is good sending positive feedback to them is my way of saying thanks and everything with this transaction went well. This has nothing to do with the idea as the buyer once you pay your "obligations" are done and deserve feedback. As a seller I am very interested to know that my buyers received their items and they are happy with them, feedback from the buyer is the way to do just that.
Message 243 of 425
latest reply

'Saying thanks and everything with this transaction went well' can also be accomplished easily with a regular mail message.  The seller is then the only party that stands to gain any additional credibility through initiating the feedback system.  Using feedback is about establishing a good reputation and increasing sales, fuzzy warm feelings from a happy customer is just an afterthought.

Message 244 of 425
latest reply

Relating to feedback,

I add to my list of sellers not to buy from if they don't return feedback for me,

I never sell on eBay just buy, loads of things every week, I've always left feedback as soon as it arrives, even when things go wrong I always help the seller to resolve things, & in over 1600 items I think I've only left one or two negatives,(been absolutely honest in my comments to)& on those occasions the seller deserved them.

I’ve had many a seller not leave me feedback even after I left them excellent feedback, one seller whom I bought quite a few things from added me to his block list when I politely asked for feedback.

Sellers should look at feed for buyers as a way of saying a big thanks for buying from them, so that I will return again & again.

I’ve now decided not to leave feedback first in the future,

I’ve now noticed that lots of sellers ask me to leave them feedback! Even though they themselves haven’t left it for me, please read my return comments to their requests below.

Hi

I always leave feedback for those sellers that leave it for me, in the past I left feedback 1st(only never to have it returned)the fact that I paid instantly never seemed to make  a difference, I thought that I was being a perfect seller “but sadly not”, I am aware they could have been far too busy to check.

But you clearly have checked & are aware that you’ve not left me feedback, I’ll certainly return it for you should you leave it for me.

Ps you would have to deliberately not leave it for me now, “but should you decide not to” your choice, my choice will be to leave you neutral feedback & add you to my list of sellers never to buy from.

Regards Terry Sim

o)

Message 245 of 425
latest reply

I think it is very important for the buyer to leave feedback first because they are at the last step of the process. As a seller once I see the buyer has left their feedback I know all is good and the sale is complete. Then I leave my feedback.  Paying instantly is awesome and deserves good feedback but it is not the only buyer responsibility.  I use to leave feedback instantly after payment but have stopped.  Hypothetically, say the buyer buys and pays for the item instantly. I then leave my feedback and say what an excellent buyer the buyer is. The buyer then recieves the item and did not read the description of flaws and is upset and wants a return and gives negative feedback to the seller. This is the buyers fault because he did not read the description. The feedback given by the seller would be inaccurate now because the buyer was not an excellent buyer. It stinks not getting feedback after you feel you have been an excellent buyer or seller. I am still trying to perfect my ebay skills and this is the toughest area to perfect. Perhaps no solution really excists.  

Again Hypothetically, say a buyer buys an item from the seller and receives the item and all went well. The seller is waiting for the buyer feedback to leave his feedback. The seller never receives feedback. Then both parties do not get feedback. This stinks too. 

I do not think there is any perfect solution but here is my ideal ebay transaction.

The seller lists the item.

The buyer bids and wins and pays instantly.

The seller sends the buyer a message and ships the next day.

The buyer receives the item loves it and leaves postive feedback with useful comments.

The seller sees this and leaves postitve feedback with useful comments. 

The sale is complete and all are happy 🙂

Message 246 of 425
latest reply

@thanksabunch2u wrote:

Hypothetically, say the buyer buys and pays for the item instantly. I then leave my feedback and say what an excellent buyer the buyer is. The buyer then recieves the item and did not read the description of flaws and is upset and wants a return and gives negative feedback to the seller. This is the buyers fault because he did not read the description.

The risk of an unreliable or careless buyer is unavoidable.  Sellers should prescreen buyers if the emotional cost of negative feedback is greater than the financial gain.

Message 247 of 425
latest reply

@downtimeguy "emotional cost of negative feedback"

Seriously? It's about our little feelings? No, it's about getting defects that cost us more money to do business. It's about the buyer scam heaven this place has become. But the bottom line is both parties should leave feedback at the end of the transaction.  And it's the buyer who determines when that is and should leave feedback first. Since buyers now have about 30 years to return something NAD it's seller suicide to give up good feedback before the item has even been delivered. The buyer's job isn't done once he pays, he also has to accept the item to fulfil the agreement. Then both parties can be happy.

Message 248 of 425
latest reply

Your all giving me a headache...i think I'll ask an aspirin whether I should take it....DOH!
Message 249 of 425
latest reply

Agreed, and well stated.  As a buyer I do not leave feedback unless I receive it after payment.  To me this is fullfilling my end of the agreement, the payment.  Withholding feedback until i leave feedback first is, in my opinion, holding my feedback hostage until the seller gets good feedback.  All those sellers out there who use this tactic are not on my list to buy from again.

Message 250 of 425
latest reply

You have it completely backwards. It is the seller who should be thanking the buyer for purchasing the product they were trying to sell. A buyer deserves no thanks for delivering a product you paid for.
Message 251 of 425
latest reply

As a seller I feel the transaction is not completed until the buyers receives the item in good order and signifies his or her satisfaction by leaving feedback. If after a month or so the buyer has not left feedback or has not contacted me I will often leave feedback. In rare cases a seller should reserve feedback to warn other sellers of a scammer buyer (again most buyers are fantastic) after all if your sellers get scammed you'll soon have nothing to buy 🙂

Message 252 of 425
latest reply

ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY !!!!!
Message 253 of 425
latest reply

"The buyers job is not done when he pays for his item. It's done when the buyer receives the items and inspects it to make sure it's in order. Feedback is the last action seller and buyer has The buyers job is not done when he pays for his item. It's done when the buyer receives the items and inspects it to make sure it's in order. Feedback is the last action seller and buyer has to do and the buyer have to leave the feedback first to inform the seller that the item arrived and everything is good.lto do and the buyer have to leave the feedback first to inform the seller that the item arrived and everything is good."

^^^^^

Yes!  It's as simple as this. 

I would like to see Ebay come up with a way to enforce the above scenario.

Message 254 of 425
latest reply

Unfair or even flat out false statements by buyers is an unavoidable risk of doing business in a large marketplace. Unlike Yelp or Trip Advisor, this feedback system eventually washes out an unwarranted negative comment after 12 months. But for those sellers who truly cannot suffer an attack on their perfect rating, the nightmare landscape of American litigation can always be your backup plan: http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2010/04/12/negative-ebay-feedback-prompts-15000-defamation-lawsuit/
Message 255 of 425
latest reply