cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

Time and time again, I buy something on Ebay, I pay immediately with PayPal, and the seller does not give me any feedback until after I leave it for him first.

This is agains Ebay policy I am almost sure. A bit ago Ebay changed policy so sellers could not leave "retalitory" feedback, that is giving a buyer bad feedback who paid quickly, just because they gave well-deserved bad feedback for a good reason.

This ruined the feedback system for ebay, making it useless.

Now, apparently most sellers simply hold off on giving feedback as long as possible. Are they hoping the buyer gets tired of waiting? Are they hoping the buyer simply slips up and leaves it before they are supposed to?

Whatever the reason, there is no GOOD one for not leaving positive feedback for a buyer that pays lightning fast with PayPal. The buyers job is done at that point, and done very well.

Then it is up to the SELLER to pack the item well, ship it promptly, and have the item be as described in the auction.

If the seller screws up or sells something that is not as advertised, then they damn well deserve bad feedback so that the next buyer can be informed of the bad apple.

So in a nutshell, if you are a buyer on ebay, lets start holding that feedback back until the seller does what they are supposed to for a prompt-paying customer. And if they do not leave feedback, lets report them to Ebay so the feedback system is not compromised as it once was, and so buyers can be properly informed of a sellers performance when they are shopping.

Thanks
Message 1 of 425
latest reply
424 REPLIES 424

Re: Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

I have been wondering the same thing. Thank you for posting!

"To ensure all parties are represented equally in the feedback system, the buyer should leave feedback first in the transaction once the item is received and meets his or her expectations.  It is then the seller should leave his / her feedback after seeing the buyer both paid in a reasonable amount of time and the buyer was kind and worked with the seller on any kinks that may have come up."

This is directly from eBay itself: http://www.ebay.com/gds/Who-Should-Leave-Feedback-First-/10000000004688841/g.html

Message 226 of 425
latest reply

For me it's always been the other way around, I do everything right, ship fast and they get it fast and I leave good feedback upon shipping and a lot of the people who have bought from me just don't bother to leave feedback in return. I have gotten a fair amount of feedback but no where near the amount I've sold. 

Message 227 of 425
latest reply

"Report them for not leaving positive feedback" I can not believe you said that

Message 228 of 425
latest reply

That link below leads to someone's opinion on the eBay site. It is not official eBay policy.

As a practical matter, as a seller, having a good rating is important to you. It's less important to a buyer. If you are a seller and want to optimize your chances of getting positive feedback, leave feedback for the buyer immediately on payment. If you wait for the buyer to leave feedback first, that may never happen, and your feedback score as a seller will suffer in consecuence.

In short: If philosopical debates are more important to you as a than your seller's reputation, wait for the buyer to leave feedback before you do

@thekingdom14633 wrote:

I have been wondering the same thing. Thank you for posting!

"To ensure all parties are represented equally in the feedback system, the buyer should leave feedback first in the transaction once the item is received and meets his or her expectations.  It is then the seller should leave his / her feedback after seeing the buyer both paid in a reasonable amount of time and the buyer was kind and worked with the seller on any kinks that may have come up."

This is directly from eBay itself: http://www.ebay.com/gds/Who-Should-Leave-Feedback-First-/10000000004688841/g.html

. If you want more sales, leave positive feedback for the buyer immediately after receiving payment..

Message 229 of 425
latest reply

Excellent explanation! Kudos!

@downtimeguy wrote:

Sellers who avoid posting first seem to believe it is some kind of insurance against receiving negative feedback.  But any buyer who needs to leave negative feedback will certainly do so, regardless of getting anything first from the seller.  For that reason it is a failed tactic to avoid posting first with the hope of somehow guaranteeing positive feedback.  The only thing at stake for sellers who use this maneuver is fear of feeling jilted when leaving positive feedback first then receiving negative or nothing in return.  Professional traders stay focused on sales and know that hurt feelings are an insignificant cost when there's money to be made.

Message 230 of 425
latest reply

....said the guy who was reading it and taking the time to reply.

Message 231 of 425
latest reply

LOL! Let us know how that works out for you. As a seller, I stopped leaving feedback until the buyer does. Period. In fact, the "buyers job" is not really done until they do. I guess another option is to just not leave it all since it means absolutely nothing to sellers when it comes to buyers. Why in the world would a buyer care about feedback if it's all 100% positive anyway? To prove you paid fast? Why does it matter?
Message 232 of 425
latest reply

Very good point if the seller is selling a "new item," but most people are selling used items and should not be held to the standards of a retail store.  Although many used items are far better than the new items made today which is why there are so many "ebuyers" in the first place.  As far as look alike items, well I tried to sell one once and thank goodness it was taken off ebay before I received any bids.  I had no idea this kind of thing was going on and bought a handbag second hand and decided to sell.  I was very upset when it was taken off and did some investigating on counterfeit handbags.  I looked for obvious signs on the purse myself and was shocked when I looked at the label and could easily peel it right off.  Needless to say, I was thankful someone saw that on ebay and had my listing removed.  I don't deal in designer handbags anymore.  Too much counterfeiting going on and I don't want to take the risk.  My point is that yes there are some shady sellers, but there are some that are new and still learning.  It's when they don't learn from their mistakes do they become unsatisfactory sellers.  As far as feedback, I give feedback as soon as the buyer pays.  As a buyer, which is seldom, I leave feedback as soon as I receive the item and meets my expectations.  If it doesn't, I just don't leave any feedback. 

Message 233 of 425
latest reply

First you complain you don't receive feedback, then you complain you receive it too early. Jesus christ!

Message 234 of 425
latest reply

I have a question as a newbie. I've been a member since 2008 but only recently began buying quite a few items. I also just recently decided to educate myself on FB, which I think all new members need to do. I've never left negative feedback, even though I've thought about it, and after reading the importance of positive FB to sellers, I'm glad I didnt. Anyway, I digress. As a buyer, I pay for items instantly. I've recieved many positive FBs from sellers for this prior to leaving them FB, and I appreciate this so much. However, I agree with sellers that a buyer should leave the FB first so that the seller knows that the transaction is complete. I always do this as soon as I recieve my item. Once, I simply forgot to leave FB, and the seller politely messaged me to ask for it, whereupon I immediately left it.

I have done several transactions with one seller, though, who has never left me feedback. Each time I buy an item from this person, I leave tremendous FB upon receiving the item, but they have never left me any in return. Now, ordinarily, I'm not bothered by a seller doing this, but after five or six transactions, I would kind of like the favor returned. I'm considering not buying from this seller anymore simply because I feel it's common courtesy that has been ignored. Am I overreacting? I'm assuming they just don't do FB, but it would be nice. To me, it's less a status issue and more of a "thank you for your purchase" part of customer service. Please help.
Message 235 of 425
latest reply

Sellers should give feedback once payment is received as the buyers job is done. Sellers who don't give feedback first are merely protecting their score and/or retaliate and give buyers negative feedback if the buyers gives negative feedback first. Ebay encourages this. Obviously, buyers want feedback for their reputations sake so the next seller can judge who they're selling to.
Message 236 of 425
latest reply

It does matter. Think about it
Message 237 of 425
latest reply

I have to respectfully disagree. In my opionion; I agree with the buyer leaving the feedback first. The buyer is completely protected by eBay and the seller has a lot more to loose. This is where eBay has gone somewhat wrong. It is NOT a brick and morter retail store. eBay is NOT Amazon. eBay started out as an online trading post for used or unneeded items; not a mass of online retails stores. That is where they gained their following. eBay now prefers the large eBay stores because of the fees they generate but that is not playing to their roots. Many of the eBay sellers that have been around for years and primarily sell personal used unneeded goods and can not offer the same sort of return policy as a Walmart would; and why should they?

Walmart does not sell used goods; they sell new items and offer a return policy on them. Most thrift stores, second hand stores and garage sales do not offer return policies so why should a seller that deals in primarily used goods? eBay is also where people go to find deep discounts on new items. If I wanted to pay full retail price for items; I would go to a retail store and buy them. I view the discount I am getting on the item as compensation for not having access to a retun policy. There is a reason you can get new item for .10 on the dollar on eBay vs purchasing in a retail store. There has to be a trade off.

There are times when an item is damaged in shipping or is not working when it arrives and it is up to the responsible seller to make good on those issues. But he should not feel that he has to be worried about his feedback on every transaction that takes place.

Just my two cents.

Message 238 of 425
latest reply

So you would leave negative feedback because a seller does not leave you feedback?  A little harsh I think...

Message 239 of 425
latest reply

Who is this a joke
Message 240 of 425
latest reply