cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

Time and time again, I buy something on Ebay, I pay immediately with PayPal, and the seller does not give me any feedback until after I leave it for him first.

This is agains Ebay policy I am almost sure. A bit ago Ebay changed policy so sellers could not leave "retalitory" feedback, that is giving a buyer bad feedback who paid quickly, just because they gave well-deserved bad feedback for a good reason.

This ruined the feedback system for ebay, making it useless.

Now, apparently most sellers simply hold off on giving feedback as long as possible. Are they hoping the buyer gets tired of waiting? Are they hoping the buyer simply slips up and leaves it before they are supposed to?

Whatever the reason, there is no GOOD one for not leaving positive feedback for a buyer that pays lightning fast with PayPal. The buyers job is done at that point, and done very well.

Then it is up to the SELLER to pack the item well, ship it promptly, and have the item be as described in the auction.

If the seller screws up or sells something that is not as advertised, then they damn well deserve bad feedback so that the next buyer can be informed of the bad apple.

So in a nutshell, if you are a buyer on ebay, lets start holding that feedback back until the seller does what they are supposed to for a prompt-paying customer. And if they do not leave feedback, lets report them to Ebay so the feedback system is not compromised as it once was, and so buyers can be properly informed of a sellers performance when they are shopping.

Thanks
Message 1 of 425
latest reply
424 REPLIES 424

Re: Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

Yes; that's been my feeling for a while too, because I once dealt with an outfit which, on closer scrutiny, should long since have been banned by eBay (I say this despite eBay having refunded my outlay as the seller wouldn't stump up).  eBay seems to tolerate questionable sellers as, on balance, they get more in fees from these sellers than they lose out on by virtue of the guaranteed refund policy.

Message 211 of 425
latest reply

agree, I buy and sell on ebay and numerous times i have purchase items payed immediately and the seller never gives feedback. Not a good practice.
Message 212 of 425
latest reply

oh yes ! you have said it exactly as it is. as a buyer and seller . i have learned seller sends feedback after buyer. 

Message 213 of 425
latest reply

Since sellers can either leave positive feedback or NONE at all...Sellers should definitely not leave feedback unless they are given feedback.

Sellers can't leave negative feedback or even neutral...its a rigged game.

Feedback system is unfair to sellers, so NO feedback at all for a buyer = negative feedback to the buyer.

Message 214 of 425
latest reply

Ebay changed the rules...sellers can't give honest feedback anymore.
Message 215 of 425
latest reply

I buy way more than I sell...and I just started selling.

Sellers are at a huge disadvantage, it is really hard to do business.

I think this is my last month as a seller...at least until next year.

Message 216 of 425
latest reply

Just like any restaurant, not every customer will leave fully satisfied.  Doesn't necessarily mean the food or service wasn't good.  So it's rather disappointing that some sellers cannot handle being hit with a negative feedback comment on a website.  That's a low risk to take against having access to a global marketplace like eBay.  The message is this:  It's okay to be disliked sometimes.

Message 217 of 425
latest reply

No

Don't give feedback to buyers until they give it to you.

I am a buyer and a seller in equal measure. as a seller the ebay system makes it impossible to trade fair. as a buyer I give feedback as soon as I get the item in the post, because he/she has done there job and deserves positive feedback. I have recently been hit with bad feedback from a fraudster and a liar from Italy. I am glad that I did not give any feedback until he used the feedback to carry on telling lies and try bullying me in to giving him free stuff and money. my response is to give positive feedback but in capital letters that he is a fraudster and a liar.

This is your only defence as a seller in eBay

Message 218 of 425
latest reply

@wlkngdshbg wrote:
Time and time again, I buy something on Ebay, I pay immediately with PayPal, and the seller does not give me any feedback until after I leave it for him first.

This is agains Ebay policy I am almost sure. A bit ago Ebay changed policy so sellers could not leave "retalitory" feedback, that is giving a buyer bad feedback who paid quickly, just because they gave well-deserved bad feedback for a good reason.

This ruined the feedback system for ebay, making it useless.

Now, apparently most sellers simply hold off on giving feedback as long as possible. Are they hoping the buyer gets tired of waiting? Are they hoping the buyer simply slips up and leaves it before they are supposed to?

Whatever the reason, there is no GOOD one for not leaving positive feedback for a buyer that pays lightning fast with PayPal. The buyers job is done at that point, and done very well.

Then it is up to the SELLER to pack the item well, ship it promptly, and have the item be as described in the auction.

If the seller screws up or sells something that is not as advertised, then they **bleep** well deserve bad feedback so that the next buyer can be informed of the bad apple.

So in a nutshell, if you are a buyer on ebay, lets start holding that feedback back until the seller does what they are supposed to for a prompt-paying customer. And if they do not leave feedback, lets report them to Ebay so the feedback system is not compromised as it once was, and so buyers can be properly informed of a sellers performance when they are shopping.

Thanks

Message 219 of 425
latest reply

If you're a buyer, why wouldnt you leave feedback first.? If you're happy then leave happy feedback, and if not - try and resolve your problem (or issue as the americans prefer)...or leave a negative ..simple.  As a seller, why would you leave feedback first,  just to say ''quick payment'' or great buyer etc.? The idea is to pay for  the item you bought, no kudos is involved. The buyer should leave feedback first and then you reciprocate and interact. How childish to have the mindset ''im happy with the item i bought, but its down to the seller to leave feedback first." No its not. Buyer should leave feedback first every time - Negative, neutral or positive.

Message 220 of 425
latest reply

You are completely backwards! As soon as payment clears, SELLER should leave feedback as the buyers part of the transaction is finished. Buyer then receives item and leaves his feedback. A seller who doesn't leave their feedback until buyer does is trying to "insure a non negative feedback" from buyer. A seller who does not leave feedback for me will never get any feedback from me unless the transaction deserves a neg, then I will wait a full 60 days to leave a negative as to not receive a retaliatory feedback.

Message 221 of 425
latest reply

Wow, just read sellers can no longer leave negs. Didn't know that. Still, if I pay for something, then I have held up my end of the bargain. 

Message 222 of 425
latest reply

Sellers who avoid posting first seem to believe it is some kind of insurance against receiving negative feedback.  But any buyer who needs to leave negative feedback will certainly do so, regardless of getting anything first from the seller.  For that reason it is a failed tactic to avoid posting first with the hope of somehow guaranteeing positive feedback.  The only thing at stake for sellers who use this maneuver is fear of feeling jilted when leaving positive feedback first then receiving negative or nothing in return.  Professional traders stay focused on sales and know that hurt feelings are an insignificant cost when there's money to be made.

Message 223 of 425
latest reply

Everyone had good points. The bottom line is there are TONS of bad sellers on ebay who send out lookalike knockoffs for full price and people who do not package an item correctly and the item arrives damaged. Now the sellers no how they sent or what they sent but fight anyways. I had an incident where a seller listed an item as "MINT condition," that item arrived and had scratches and appeared as used. After contacting the seller to explain what's going on he immediately took to a defensive stance calling me a liar and saying I scratched it myself. Now although that is possible why would someone wait over a week for an item once it arrives be happy it arrived and say you know what...I'm going to damage it and return it! What a great idea!...makes no sence whatsoever I wanted the item...the item I paid for. Is that so hard to understand? Now after filing a case because there was no other way to resolve it eBay awarded the seller and buyer the $15 amount. So that idiot lieing seller got his money anyway for fora used item even after lieing! My point to all this is everyone is so quick to judge the buyers when there are plenty of terrible lieing sellers as well.

Think of eBay as a retail store. If I purchase an item and paid for it the employee will say thank you, hope to see you again, that is there way of leaving positive feedback. I came in to there store paid for something and left happy. Now say I go home and open that item and it's damaged, I then go back to that store and try to return/exchange the item and the manager refuses and tells me I damaged it myself and he won't issue a refund. What do you do then? You find another way to return the item and go on a feedback site like yelp and warn future buyers of your experience...that's how it should be so why should eBay be any different?
Message 224 of 425
latest reply

I have been wondering the same thing. Thank you for posting.

"To ensure all parties are represented equally in the feedback system, the buyer should leave feedback first in the transaction once the item is received and meets his or her expectations.  It is then the seller should leave his / her feedback after seeing the buyer both paid in a reasonable amount of time and the buyer was kind and worked with the seller on any kinks that may have come up."

Directly from eBay itself: http://www.ebay.com/gds/Who-Should-Leave-Feedback-First-/10000000004688841/g.html

Message 225 of 425
latest reply