eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups are a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Stop unfair feedback from unreasonable ebay buyers

in reply to igonzalezjr
Had 2 situations happen recently that are very similar to what you experienced. Both buyers claimed items were not as stated when I provided more than enough detail in photos and complete measurements! eBay sided with the buyers despite the fact that both sent me incredibly disparaging and threatening emails! Both people act so insane that I think they will destroy my items. One is a watch worth over $500 and the other is a set of necklaces worth $360.. Disgusting to know that eBay will not help sellers. Why do buyers have no accountability?
Community Member

in reply to ownedandloved

Been with ebay since 2004 on and off. 2 years ago I started an ebay business selling knives. I worked hard for these years being honest in my description deliver detailed pictures and communicate with my customers. I have 658 positive feedbacks keeping a solid 100% positive feedback all this time. I knew I was doing something right. All it took was 1 nasty buyer who didnt even boughter to contact me saying that my item is not as described in my pictures and he gave me a negative feedback. I didnt even have a chance to defend myself or offer him a refund.

WHAM!!! There it was. My rating dropped to 99.6% positive based on the 12 month rating. I thought OK no problem.  1 negative I will make that up with the next 50 to 60 feedbacks and bring it back to a 100%. WRONG It will take as of right now 1.752 additional feedbacks to get back to 100% Considering that only about a third of the buyers leave a feedback I would need right now over 5.200 sales to get the 100% back. I took me years to get to the 658 positive. It would take me with my current sales rate another 6 to 7 years to get so many items sold. And hopefully the feedback is all positive. God forbid there is another negative feedback in these 5.200 sales. Chances are you never get out of that cycle once you are cought in it. How is that fair to the seller? All it takes is the bad mood of one buyer and the years of hard work are destroyed. It takes a 1572 additional positive feedbacks to make up for 1 negative. How can that be reasonable? It is nearly impossible to get the 100 back once you lost it.

Why does ebay not help their sellers to get back on their feet faster. Why cant ebay figure out how to force a buyer to contact his seller first before leaving a negative feedback. Forcing a buyer to solve an issue with the seller first before the negative feedback becomes active in the sellers rating. Chances are most issues could be solved that way and a lot more seller feel protected from such inconsiderate buyers.

How hard is that to figure out for ebay. All these overpaid Managers and CEO's and nobody thought about a better solution to protect the seller a little better. Just force communication first before being able to just apply a negative feedback.  Let the seller know that a negative feedback attempt was made by a buyer and he has to respond within 72hrs or the feedback will be applied to his rating. That is a good cool down phase for both parties. **bleep**. How hard was that!

I wrote my buyer an email offering a refund and hopefully he is willing and kind enough to withdraw the negative. Thank you ebay for putting me into the position where I am at the mercy of my buyer.  Hoping he accepts a refund and shows himself meryfull toward my small ebay business. I hope you guys change that soon. I dont like kissing ass to my customers especially not if I didnt do anything wrong in the first place.   

Community Member

I've been selling here & there for over 10yrs on EBay.  It's not my professor just something I do when we have excess things around the house that we don't use~ so why not sell for cash?

Its steadily been getting worse w/my last buyer & working with the superb bots at Ebays Customer Service Center being the last straw.

I sold an item that was Brand New in Package.  It was a 2-piece.  The buyer had the item for a week as I do tracking for all my shipped items, never contacted me and next thing I know I get an email from eBay stating the buyer wants a refund bc it wasn't as stated.  Everything was as stated and the claims she made were ridiculous!  One statement made was that the Creative Memories corners are all bent in the 4 corners instead of straight.  I mean really?  I explained to her & Ebay that ALL CM albums were made like this: if they were made straight they would surely get all messed up easily.  Not once did EBay get pics or research what I was stating.

I told her & Ebay I would be willing to give a full refund once I receive everything as stated.  Well, how eBay works is they charge you that shipping cost and then once they see it was received then they refund the Seller.  So if you have a paypal account it will go negative until paid AND you can't pay anything else through them until it's paid.  Why?  Because EBay owns PayPal.

So I get my shipment and my album is intact- the pristine condition that it was sent in.  However, my other sealed item is now open and missing half of its product.  Not only that but the bonus stickers I sent AND requested be returned are of course no where to be found.  I contact Ebays Customer Service and since the case was ruled in the buyers favor and closed there is nothing they can do~ unless the buyer admits to opening and taking the product.  Yeah right.  Calling their Customer Service is a waste of time.  They are full of robots that don't do anything but just answer the phone.

I will never sell on eBay again.  My product is not secure at all.  All it takes is for someone to be dishonest and EBay will side w/them bc again: they don't work i.e.: take time to actually research and get pics.

Community Member

in reply to linda1871

I so agree with you...eBay needs more protection for sellers!!!!

linda1871 wrote:

I think the system is unfair and should change.. You can sell 100 items and have 100 great feedback  sand one negative feedback can ruin everything.. It is unfair to sellers.. There is a lot of scammers out there that make things up to get you to lower the price for them .. Happened to me and there's not much you can do as a buyer.. Needs to somehow change eBay ..

Community Member

i have bought on amazon and got cheated so many times....
Community Member

also i bought on ebay in the past before buyers guarantee and got cheated so many times that i told ebay they could shove ebay up the behind of the woman that invented ebay and quit ebay and told them i would not come back until they did something about the cheating..surely they didn't invent buyers guarantee for only one person???
Community Member

i am only a buyer on ebay ...a neg. for a no show and no money lost is unfair....my #1 problem as been sellers being afraid to properly pack items on all six sides of items with enough proper cushioning packing in sturdy boxes even if it more costly or for shipping bad or wrong items in skimpy containers trying to make money off shipping company or buyer by trying to lay blame on shipping company or playing the return shipping costs game....i worked for one of the big parcel shipping companies and saw the pactice commited daily... shipping companies were wise to practice many years ago and were way ahead of those sending....recipents of the shipments usually suffered the losses... as for wrong items if seller will not make it right at no cost to me,,, i just suffer the loss and give them a negative feedback and move on..
Community Member

in reply to stickycreationz
I am going to give this suggestion STRONG consideration. I like it. We need to find more creative ways to use the system against itself. Kudos.
Community Member

in reply to linda1871
eBay does treat its sellers poorly. We have no direct recourse for unhinged buyers hp take out their misplaced emotions on sellers. We an report sellers to eBay but that leaves us out of the loop. It makes me feel like I am being double-judged by the seller AND eBay. It's an out-of -balance situation. Very unfair. Since eBay went public, sellers have become the dog that gets kicked by anyone who is unhappy.
Community Member

I think the system is unfair and should change.. You can sell 100 items and have 100 great feedback  sand one negative feedback can ruin everything.. It is unfair to sellers.. There is a lot of scammers out there that make things up to get you to lower the price for them .. Happened to me and there's not much you can do as a buyer.. Needs to somehow change eBay ..

Community Member

in reply to sunnysavercom

I, too, am a top-rated power seller who is having her turn in the unfair eBay practices barrel. I am diligent about describing every little flaw in my items.  I'm as honest as the day is long.  But this buyer was unhappy with his $25 book. He expressed his displeasure in nasy hostile messages.  I responded politely, professionally, apologizing for any oversight on my part, and offered him a full refund plus return shipping.  He was not satisfied because he wanted to keep the book.  His last note read, "What, no offer of a partial refund?  Really?  Hmm.....  I see ....." (His first message threatened negative feedback.)  So, I chose not to respond to his nastiness since I had already told him he had 14 days to decide whether he wanted to keep the book or return it, AT MY EXPENSE.  I reported him, and today he left negative feedback calling me dishonest, stating that my listings are inaccurate, and warning other buyers to BEWARE.  I had even upgraded his shipping to Priority!

I have spoken to 20-some eBay reps, most of whom are not fluent in the English language and therefore cannot detect the veiled threat of extortion: feedback for a partial refund, i.e., money.  One even had to ask me what "screwed" meant (buyer said "he was screwed").

If the issue is not resolved and the negative feedback removed, I am leaving eBay in favor of online venues.  They are losing yet another conscientious, honest, professional, intelligent, seller.

Community Member

Fight this system give everyone low detailed ratings
Community Member

in reply to fla-tvl

I went to http://www.ebayblacklist.co/master-list/, added my bad buyers and copied their list to add to my blocked buyer list.    It made me feel a little better about this unfair system.

Community Member

I agree that the feedback system is very unfair to sellers. I had a 100% feedback and I'm a power seller as well. I had one overseas buyer who didn't get their package and left a negative feedback. The tracking shows it was still enroute. I have called ebay and paypal about this and neither one will help out and they say that the feedback is not removeable because it's the buyers right to speech. ??? So what does USPS (the shipper) not performing their part of the business have to do with my performance of packaging up the item very carefully and sending out the next day quickly on my part?? 

There are alot of grey areas to their feedback system that should be looked at very carefully into updating it with a system that's fair for both buyer and seller... I am seriously thinking of quitting ebay all together and I have four power seller accounts. On top of the high fees and shipping costs, slow website plus dealing with bad buyer situations, it's not worth it as there's many ways to sell items or run a real business. 

Community Member

in reply to sirpugsalot
Absolutely!!! This is turning into a very profitable scam for unscrupulous people. Sellers have no recourse anymore. I have over 800 positive feedbacks....return postage if it comes in less then what the Buyer paid...mail immediately when paid...maintain good communication...have been selling for over 11 years and now because one seller got upset with purchase she made even though I said she could return...also claimed I did not include a pic which was right there !!!! eBay still allowed her negative feedback to remain. Time to find a new venue.
Community Member

Re: Stop unfair feedback from unreasonable ebay buyers -

in reply to blessedbdesigns
As one person suggested....leave eBay and go to Amazon or Etsy because eBay will not do anything to help Sellers.
Community Member

Re: Stop unfair feedback from unreasonable eBay buyers - Petition

in reply to rareufovideos
I thank you for your info....I will definitely be moving.
Community Member

in reply to ojaicoho9556

How do I do that ? How can I block a Buyer and why is eBay letting Buyers post very unfair feedbacks and refuse to do anything about them?

MCL2601

Community Member

All Buyers need to put on the Block Buyer list Eventually. .Buyers might think twice before jumping to conclusions ..Without giving the Seller a chance to resolved the issue ..Thank you for info on ... Updated my Block Buyer requirements. .This will eliminate some problems..
Community Member

Re: Stop unfair feedback from unreasonable ebay buyers -

in reply to blessingenterprises

Gee... It really sucks to have to operate like a real business, doesn't it? You eBay sellers complain when there's no feedback and you complain when there's negative feedback. I guess you never heard about "the customer is always right". The original eBay model has long since lost its appeal to most consumers. I can get better pricing, faster shipping and superior customer support from Amazon. I don't care if eBay shuts down entirely. At least I wouldn't be hassled to leave some ridiculous feedback. I expect everything to go right, I shouldn't have to leave any feedback unless there's a problem.