eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
ownedandloved
Community Member
Accepted Solution

Stop unfair feedback from unreasonable ebay buyers - Petition

Its absolutely scandalous that buyers have the right to indirectly destroy a businesses reputation by leaving negative feedback because they didn't pay for an item. Ok, so they cant leave negative feedback while a case is open, but nothing is stopping them from paying and then leaving the inappropriate negative feedback! Another thing that really annoys me is how a buyer can leave negative feedback for a correctly described item because they themselves got it wrong and refused they were in the wrong, when all along it was them who just didn't read the listing properly. And what about when the parcel is passed to the courier/postal service, tracking is provided but the shipping is taking a while, a situation that is totally out of the sellers hands and yet again we all get penalised for its slow delivery and receive the undesirable unfair negative feedback once again. It is the unreasonable buyers that destroys the enjoyment of trading on ebay and we need to desperately stop this. Ebay says they can't get involved because that would be tampering with the buyers buying experience comment. Does the judge say this in court when there is a hearing and the criminal says i didn't do it, when the evidence is clearly there to say otherwise, maybe a bad example but im sure you know where im coming from!! There needs to be a non-biased intermediary (like a judge) to look over things, especially feedback, to make it fairer on ebay, if they did this im sure things would be a lot fairer and buyers wouldn't get away with murder! I think the feedback system is great when used correctly but when it is abused it can literally destroy lives and make people miserable. This is a petition for all who agree with the intermediary idea, lets change ebay for the better and stop the main worry that comes with trading on ebay, UNFAIR NEGATIVE FEEDBACK!! Thanks for reading. Chris

Please use plain text.
lojaimportada
Community Member

Re: Stop unfair feedback from unreasonable ebay buyers - Petition

in reply to ownedandloved

Hi Chris we have been in  the same situation because of ebay policies works only t for one side, we are very frustrated on ebay.

I sold an item , the ebayer was completely crazy to received a item on memorial days which was impossible, we right way refunded the money and after 4 or 5 days he left negative.

Added that guy on your block list  (northeastpics)

Thanks

Loja Importada

LojaImportada_NJ
Please use plain text.
zyonite
Community Member

Your biggest mistake is the one sided assumption that all negatives are 'unfair' or 'unreasonable'.

When up against non-payers, file UPI cases ASAP, do the right thing for the wellbeing of you and other fellow sellers.
Please use plain text.
abadernest
Community Member

"Feedbacks should be totally Eliminated due to it being Sometimes Biased."

We just wanted to share a recent experience that we recently had on Ebay. We had and Ebay member who left us a "Neutral Feedback" and in her comment she said that the Gemstone (Blue Sapphire) we sold to her was a "Synthetic Sapphire' and there was no other comment or message sent to us after that. Now since we got a "Neutral feedback" we of course expected her to open a case against us for an "Item Not as Described". When a few days past and she never opened the case we then started to wonder why she never did, she never even attempted to return the Sapphire that she said was a "Synthetic". We therefore decided to reply to her Feedback and we also sent her a message. Then the next day later we received this message from her;

Dear Abadernest,

Please send feedback revision request. For the record though I do understand the difference between heat treated and synthetic. I took the sapphire in question to a reputable private jeweler who is GIA certified and the Director of Hawaii Jewelers Association. Bottom line I trust their evaluation. That the stone is not a natural stone from the ground. I left neutral feedback for this reason. I didn't ask to return the stone because the jeweler also informed me it is one of the highest quality synthetic sapphires he has seen and while not natural it is worth $4,400+ retail and should be set in a custom piece I am working on. He said the average jeweler wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I was present when the stone was placed under the microscope.

In all fairness for $199 I snagged a terrific buy and will gladly change my review to 5 stars. I apologize for being new to eBay and not knowing the ins and outs of feedback.

Thank you.
- rebeccas1006

You see sir sometimes it makes you wonder. What do we really know? Which one is better "Natural or Synthetic"? I guess the answer to that question and the only way to really judge gemstone is going by the old adage; "Beauty is in the Eyes of the Beholder".

Please use plain text.
Community Member

honey, there's a reason why ebay took this step.

seems the sellers forgot already.

move along people, nothing to see here.

Please use plain text.
ownedandloved
Community Member

in reply to zyonite

If you had of read my message properly (though typical of ebay employees not to lol) then you will see that it is not biased (or one sided) in any way shape or form, i am simply stating that feedback should be properly governed by eBay to protect hard working honest sellers such as myself from grief caused by totally unreasonable and inconsiderate buyers, it is naive for anyone to believe that all people are honest!!! It wouldn't hurt for ebay to look into an accusation from a buyer of an item being 'Not as described' once in a while, i received one negative feedback for my item being apparently 'not as described' when i could outright prove it was as described.

Some sellers work stupidly hard to provide the most accurate description possible including the posting of many clear pictures of the item and all it takes is for a buyer to lie out the back of their teeth and ebay still takes the side of the buyer, now that is a typical example of ignorance!!!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

"now that is a typical example of ignorance!!!"

Actually that is someone who thinks:

1. EBay can tell who in a he said/she said argument is actually right.

2. Anyone wants to pay for the 1000s of employees this would take.

3. A seller can outright prove a SNAD case.

Please use plain text.
ownedandloved
Community Member

Re: Stop unfair feedback from unreasonable eBay buyers - Petition

in reply to fbrdgwtr

Most sellers know why the feedback system is in place, it is a good tool in showing that a seller is genuine, law abiding, provides a good service etc etc, but unfortunately, THE FACT is that A HANDFUL of buyers abuse the system.

I myself want a flawless reputation and so I work extremely hard to keep my customers happy all of the time, a lot of people don't see how depressing and stressful it can be to have a problem with a transaction and/or of course to receive the NEG feedback. Just imagine if you can 'You work tirelessly to keep people happy and then all of a sudden you receive the NEG FB which then in turn dims your reputation and lowers sales'. When you have a family to feed and only your small business to provide income IM sure you can imagine how much soul destroying it can be.

How could sellers possibly forget what the FB system is used for when its pushed in their face day in day out. Many sellers take pride in their feedback score and do everything in their power to keep a good one!

I can tell you though, it may only be 1-5 buyers in every 1000 feedbacks that are unreasonable but "do what the unreasonable buyer says or find yourself with the potentially reputation destroying Negative feedback, it can only take one if you're a small business with a small number of feedbacks".

"IF" it was used properly and governed by eBay, it would be great, but its not, and so it is greatly flawed!

Please use plain text.
ownedandloved
Community Member

in reply to nosportss

Nah, you just don't get it do you!!! lol.

1. So easy! lol. eg. Barbara says item is not as described because lighter is not working. However lighter is sold as untested, so the seller isn't to know whether it is working or not, buyers in the wrong. OR...buyer says there is say a rip in the dress she bought, yet the seller clearly photographed it and says in the listing "please refer to the pictures for a better understanding of it description"...i could go on.

2. How long would it take a person (an ebay employee) to look at a listing, 2 minutes max and less if the seller points out where it says untested. Secondly ebay is a multi billion dollar company, they can so afford it!!! Maybe if they looked after their sellers better they would make more money which would then equal the NEW investment amount ie. the cost of the feedback revision section.

3. No they can't, not in the UK anyway hence why i have a negative feedback, they told me tough basically and that the seller has a right to voice their opinion on the transaction!!

Please use plain text.
oz_in_ohio
Community Member

Stop unfair feedback from unreasonable ebay buyers - Petition - EBAY ONLY SIDES WITH BIDDERS

Chris, I kind of agree with you and if i get the slightest hint that there will be trouble before the auction ends, i will cancel the bidders bids and block them. Another thing before leaving FB for a paid up customer,  i will mark the item paid, mark the item shipped, but not leave any feeddback as i assume i will get a red mark. If theyt are kind enough to leave me FB to show it was delivered safely, i will reciprocate before deleting it.....I feel it better to get the buyers money and not have any feedback than possible receive the negative remark that ebay will not erase unless i have countless anounts of proof.....Personally i make folders in my email account with the items name and date sent.....I keep all correspondence in the folders and when 90 days falls and is eliminated from ebays records, i then delete all their file....Please do yourself a favour and scan the bidders pictures before you send them and send a message to the bidders saying their package has been despatched via ebay messages so ebay has it on file. attach the pictures of the package to that message as it is ebay related and you cannot get in trouble. Then make a folder on your desktop named packages despatched and name separate folders the bidders names so you can place the pictures in there in case you need it for proof for ebay.....The bad bidders have ruined it all for the good people but that is what ebay seemed to have wanted......I even received a negative feedback for the stamps not being stuck on straight from the worker in the post office so from then on, that is what got me buying stamps ahead of time and sticking them on the packages at home......Firstly scan a picture of both sides of the package and send that via ebay messages so ebay and the bidders have it all on record..... I know that the bidders get their thrills by leaving neg feedback and we cannot help it.....By sending the pictures, it will show ebay it was sent to the adress listed in their account at that time. What about the people like my wife that will not bid on a sellers items if they have lower than 99.5% positive feedback???? Imagine a person that has just started selling on ebay and has 20 positive feedback. he then gets one neg FB and that takes him down to 95%, he has no chance at all....On top of that, what about the people that make many different accounts??? That is why you have to be one step on top of them....I have done business with a fellow that has 5 - 6 different usernames but the adress and [phone num,ber in Alabama is the same on all of them......I have blocked him and he knows it but he just makes another so i wrote a letter to ebay saying that all these names reside at the same adress in Alabama...Naturally one does not have to be an einstein to realise what he has done.....Yes he gets his thrills on leaving neg feedback .. I cannot mention his name or handle in here as it is illegal but all i am doing is warning you of what also happens other than neg feedback. Just remember as well as you, i am a seller on ebay and know what you are going through.....I have a huge blocked list but cannot send it in here as it is against ebay laws..... I even got a person that wanted me to send it to a 3rd party as it was a birthday present and i did not because he / she won it and had to go their adress....needless to say i got neg FB for not doing what they wanted. So i blocked them. By ebays laws i cannot send you my email account as it is against their policies but if you are clever enough, there is a way of getting it. What i do is a lot of work , buit to save the red marks and to have everythiong on file for proof, i think it is worth it....Hal

Please use plain text.
oz_in_ohio
Community Member

in reply to lojaimportada

Please do not state usernames you are going to block...Ebay may suspend you . But i have added that person to mine even though i have had no dealings with him.....Guilty before innocent!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
ownedandloved
Community Member

Re: Stop unfair feedback from unreasonable ebay buyers - Petition - EBAY ONLY SIDES WITH BIDDERS

in reply to oz_in_ohio

Hi oz_in_ohio.

Its amazing though that us sellers really have to do all of that in the worry of being a victim of fraud or having NEG feedback left.

I used to send parcels via a standard method that wasn't recorded and i had loads going missing, i thought it was Royal mail at first but then realised it may not be. Since using recorded methods, i have had not one parcel go missing and if it has been reported missing it normally always comes back to me if it is not sitting in the customers local parcel depot for collection.

Its not just the NEG FB though now is it, its the DSR's too. I literally had my views cut in half from losing my top rated seller status all because a couple of buyers decided that my shipping rates were too high. It coincided with the time that Royal mail increased their prices (no clear warnings were provided to buyers by eBay) and also with the time some customers had asked me post standard mail which of course i politely said no for the reason mentioned above. They still purchased the item but may have been annoyed because i didn't do what they had asked for and so in turn left me low DSR's on shipping. I can't prove it was them and i can't even remember which buyers it was now but i have a feeling it was them. I don't make any profit on my postage, i just charge for the service i pay for plus the cost of boxes, bubble wrap etc. I do sometimes overcharge by accident as i just simply haven't the storage space for storing pre-wrapped items and the only way you are going to get an accurate shipping cost is if it has already been wrapped. BUT, I even state in my policies that if a buyer pays more for shipping than what it actually cost i will reimburse the difference. Sometimes i do notice that i have charged to much and so i just refund them once it has been posted even if it is just 70p, because i feel its the right thing to do.

I absolutely agree and i too have had the same ordeal as you where a buyer has had more than one account. He was so rude in his messages to me, i decided to block him before he had chance to buy but then another account holder purchased the exact same item from me after he had no reply to his msg asking me, "why have you blocked me". I was instantly suspicious and so checked the so called second buyers account and found that over half of his 27 feedbacks were made up from the same buyer, and yes, you guessed it, it was the name of the buyer who tried to purchase from me first time around, and so yes, it was the exact same person. Of course ebay wouldn't allow me to cancel the purchase without the buyers permission and so what i had to do is contact the first buyer (his first account) and apologise saying "i thought you were being rude and i would let you have it but someone else has already purchased". He was ok with it luckily (as he had already won it anyway) and he didn't leave me NEG FB but only because i had to creep and probably because he thought he had one up on me lol. I told ebay about the whole situation and they classed it as shillbilling which i don't believe is the correct term as he wasn't bidding an item up in price, i have a feeling they just didn't understand what i was saying. BUT, i could prove it, its all there in black and white and yet nothing has been done and he still has his two accounts. Ahh the joys of trying to make an honest living lol.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]

We need to circulate a crap list for these cons who try to skrew sellers

Especially the ones who want to keep the item along with a refund. I had one buyer that wanted me to pay him mental compensation because she put one of my gorgeous new red velvet dresses in the washer. Every person knows you never put velvet in the washer.

I had one buyer commit mail fraud by falselsy putting in a fake tracking number for a return so she can keep my beautiful jeans and a full refund.

Most of these aweful buyers who leave negative feedback want something for nothing. They love my merchandise but don't want to pay so they complain that they found a loose thread when all clothes have a loose thread and can be corrected in a second with scissors

gentleyeti

Please use plain text.
mary-margaret.bayo
Community Member

in reply to gentleyeti
I, as a Buyer, use the Feedback option, as an honest tool to rate my experience with the Buyer (including any communications), the timely manner in which its shipped, and the quality of the item once I've received it. IF there's a problem, and I figure it out BEFORE I receive the item, I've gone so far as to contact the Seller immediately. If the problem's after, I contact the Seller before leaving feedback. To ME, "Neutral" feedback, is neither GOOD nor BAD. It's simply in the middle. I make sure that my comments and choices for answers reflect that. Any updated comments after communication with the
Seller, reflect our conversations. I've loved MOST of the Sellers I've encountered on eBay, and really enjoy the interaction. But ONE, really "takes the cake!" He started THREATENING me, message after message, for the "Neutral" feedback I gave him. Telling me that if I didn't change it, he'd ruin my 100% positive Purchasing Reputation & SUE me through eBay! He also was breaking the eBay selling rules. (Which is why I left the feedback that I did.) I had to contact eBay, 3 times about him. 1st about the lying about his selling practices. 2nd because I couldn't PAY for his merchandise BECAUSE of his lies and jacked-up pricing after the fact. 3rd for his threat after threats. They are now most likely halting his selling privileges. ABOUT TIME! The whole incident has now made me very cautious of Sellers. Has anyone gone through something like this? I almost feel as bad as if I'd been attacked in PERSON!
MM's
Please use plain text.
rwil2399
Community Member

Amen! I had one punk kid buy scrap gold that I said was melt worthy and damaged, yet this kid gave me a bad feedback and thought he could wear the clearly stated "broken" chain! Guess he was gonna wear it with his Disco shirt he bought before my scrap gold, to be a wild and crazy guy! Ebay wouldnt do spit when I called them to please use some common sense and not penalize me! Hell, Walmart makes Ebay look like Satan's Boutique!
Please use plain text.
rwil2399
Community Member

It was promoted as an auction site, years ago! Auction my f... ass. Go to your local auction, bid on an item, and dont pay for it. Go to an auction, win an item and tell the auctioneers wife, " I changed my mind, I dont want tbe item". Good Luck boys and girls of ignorance!
Ebay is not a real auction site and if they gave the sellers a fair deal, they might be a decent sales site, not anymore. Monopolies Kill business opportunity. And, its not my fault if an item is held up in the mail by snow, hurricanes, 3000 miles! or sleeping mail carriers, or ones I know who take off to fish or hunt during mail hours. I know em! No, no sense buyers are ebays pride n joy!
Please use plain text.
ownedandloved
Community Member

in reply to mary-margaret.bayo

Not all sellers are good people, admittedly, and this is where the fedback system comes into its own, however due to ebay's harsh policies, the number of bad buyers far out number bad sellers, they simply wouldn't stand for a seller with a number of reports against them and they just kick them off the site altogether. Buyers though, get away with everything and even if a seller can prove their buyer is being fraudulant nothing gets done.

Please use plain text.
ownedandloved
Community Member

in reply to rwil2399

Absolutely right there rwil2399, ebay isn't an auction site anymore, it is becoming a site for the conglomerates, ebay have even admitted themselves that they are trying to come away from the auction game, the very thing that started ebay off in the first place and made them the big monopoly they are today, its laughable really!!

Please use plain text.
stat32434
Community Member

in reply to gentleyeti

I had a buyer get my package then break machine then steal everything out and return item

Please use plain text.
usedsalvagedsometimessnew
Community Member

Re: Stop unfair feedback from unreasonable eBay buyers - Petition

I'm about ready to cry. I don't know what to do or how to fix this.

Someone made an offer on one of the items l listed on . He made an offer on July 8th. I okay'd it. July 9th sent him invoice because I still had not received payment. Also sent him invoice on July 12th (reminder). Still no payment on July 14th. No communication from this guy about payment, nothing.

I re listed item and it was purchase by someone else.

I received payment from the first guy on the 15th. I refunded his money back to him same day.

Then he leaves a negative feedback. I replied and then he left a follow-up saying we're not honest, bad seller, and not to buy from us.

This is the buyer's feed back SELLERS SAYS ITEM NOT FOR SALE. BAD SELLER FOR AFTER WE PAID FOR ITEM F F F

My reply No fair, 2 reminders, 5 days, no pay, I re listed, it sold to someone else.

He replied back Follow-up

SELLER IS NOT HONEST TO HIS CUSTOMERS, BAD SELLER TO NOT BUY FROM HIM

This to me seems really unfair. I can't even respond to his follow-up.

How can he be able to leave any feed back on me when he's not actually the buyer any more?

Feedback for him, the only options I have is positive or leave feed back later.

Then I go to see what kind of feed backs he has and it says that his are private.

Selling on is part of our main source of income, the last thing I want to be is a bad seller. I have no reason to not be honest.

After his first feed back he has F F F - does anyone know what that means?

If anyone can help me, give me advice, or ? I would greatly appreciate it.

If you took the time to read this,

Thank you for your time. Very much appreciated.

Please use plain text.