eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

Outsourcing Call Centers

Hey!  Hey...ebay!!  The premise is simple...American customers-American call centers.

When I need to contact your 'Customer Service Dept", I don't want to talk to someone in Asia or Germany or France.  You're making copious amounts of money from US customers.  How about spending some of that money, right here in the USA and keep your call centers domestic.

Employ Americans...What a concept!!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Outsourcing Call Centers

in reply to denisethatsme

Ebay is to big to care....Like banks....

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I just had to deal with it this morning!  ARRRRHGH.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

NICE POST! WELL PUT! ENRON FELL, SO CAN EBAY IS ENOUGH PEOPLE WERE AWARE AS SELLERS OF THE BIG HITS THEY TAKE COMIONG & GOING.

EBAY USED TO BE A GOOD SIMPLE PLACE TO SELL AND BUY....ONCE SHE SOLD IT IT WENT DOWN...NHIGHER SELLER FEES, WAY TOO HIGH SHIPING RATES, PAYPAL ON THE TICKET TO GET YOU AS YOU SELL AFTER EBAY ALREADY HAS TAKEN A COMMISSION.

CHOOSE A DAY UNITE TO PULL ITEMS...I CHOSE MOTHER'S DAY AND I HAVE AN ESTATE TO SELL. I ALSO CHOSE LAST CHRISTMAS.

EBAY IS ANOTHER ENRON ....LAUGHING ALL THE WAY TO THEIR BANK UNTIL THE LAWYERS CATCH UP TO THEM & ALL SELLERS FORM A CLASS ACTION SUIT.

THEY BROUGHT THIS ON THEMSELVES WITH OUTSOURCING AMERICA TO MAKE MORE MONEY. TELL ALL!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Because I am a new E-bay customer my account was suspended, pending an identification check that I was who I said I was. The Item I had for sale had 41 watchers and 2 bids. They re-en-stated my account and I was told I would not loose my bids, well just the opposite I lost all the watchers, my bids and the time stated over. I made several call to this call center and I was hung up on and treated with disrespect. I finally got to speak to a supervisor and he talked me into re-posting my item. I reposted my item and a day or so later I decided to put a buy it now feature on. Guess what happened they item that was for sale was still active but no longer could be viewed by customers. I called and they told me that it could take up to 24 hours to re-post, I was promised email's and that the operator would try to expedite the data transfer she sent me an e-mail addressed to a Sergio (Not Me) and there is no way to expedite the data! Thanks E-bay for your horrible service and the 3 days wasted of my time!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
smntoys
Community Member

You no theenk we to speek Engrish goot?  Waddamadda wid yuu? We all need pass Engrish test thet vedy hard to take, we need study four tree weaks mindimum. Maybee even fore weeks. If no past it, we pay go to 1.20 instead 1.25.  Then we must tack Ebay "Customer Service" test, which takes anutter big amount time...at least 10 minutes. Also, please explain wurd "outsourcing"? Has more than six letters and no unnerstand. Thenk Yu.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Outsourcing sucks!!!

sPeAkInG to someone in India, who can't pronounce nor speak for crap. Plus bad customer service. They feel as if they are doing a favor by talking to us. They make money from the fees we pay eBay. eBay should think about American Customers.

Please use plain text.
johnrj1226
Community Member

Last i checked eBay is international, not jsut here in the US - they provide CSR Service  for all tme zones adn I have spokn to people in California, Utah adn the Phillipines by and large the people from the Phillipines are very polite & can understand, when you talk slowly & non emotionally and without using slang which I term to be Americanesse.  plus the have teh abilit to speak two languages - their native language and English.  Our English is very different than what is spoken in England or Canada.  But i learned this because i worked for two Japanese companies for 17 years & travled abit  to other countries..  In fact, they (the Filipinos) seem much better to deal with than the CSRs in the US - no attitudes.

A lot of very big US companies, like IBM, use CSR from India, Ireland.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I have to say I love your post.  I completely agree.  Tonight, when I called EBay's customer service, I was transferred to some Asian call center.  "Alvin" the customer service rep could barely understand me, and I could barely understand him.  He was absolutely no help.  Thankfully, I was transferred to Jonathon, an English speaking rep in Utah.  Thank you Jonathon for the great customer service.     

Please use plain text.
Community Member

The world is getting smaller and the world-wide market place is expanding.  People and nations continue to interact and exchange what they are rich in, whether materials or products or workers or funds. 

What do you sell on eBay?  Was it totally and completely manufactured/produced in the U.S.A. of American materials and parts?  Maybe, but probably not, and probably not always.

All of our lives are touched by what we utilize from countries beyond our shores and borders.  Even the disembodied voices that we speak to when we seek Customer Service and Advice.  Frankly, I'd be sad without the imported fruits I get to eat when it's out of season here, for example, so I'm glad we have a lot of interaction with other countries, etc.  (But I read and learn and get most of my guidance from the wise and knowledgeable folks on these Boards rather than Customer Service attempts from call centers in India, etc.)

Please use plain text.
johnrj1226
Community Member

If you are speaking to any one from another country who understands and speaks two lanuages (their native tongue and English or as I like to say our Amricanese as we in the USA  for the most part do not speak English - ask anyone from Great Britian). her are some tips for you adn that i learned workink for a Japanese owned compny for 17 years a French owned company for 1-1/2 years and traveled Mexico for over 5 years a a Regional Sales Manager.

1.  Speak slowly - the have to transalte your Amricanese intoheir native tongue and then reply back in a language you can understand.

2.  Avoid - slang words or phrases likeHey Dude or I'm fixin' to do it.

3.  Keep calm - showing your emotions/frustrations (vocally, by expressions or by gestures is a sign weakness by most othre countries.

4.  To increase the chances taht the other  person is receiving & UNDERSTANDING your message ask the key queston  or concern several times but rephrased.

5.  If you still don't feel comfortable asked to be transfered to a suprevisor 9the ygenrally have more on the job experience & remeber we all started at the bottom of the ladder once upon a time.

Finally, if American companies are only for Amricans - then none of us would be driving the #1 selling automobile sold in the US or using their cameras.

And maybe it is just me but I frequently have trouble speaking with a CSR that is based  right here in the USA.   Many give you nothing more than popcorn type answers  - i.e.  full of air with little substance.  Example, contacting our beloved United States Postal Service trying to find the where abouts of "another" lost package (that the USPS has a nice scanned photo of but of no real value) and never receiving that "promised" return phone call.  Final outcome is "yep it is lost & we lost it but we are keeping the good money you paid us to actually deliver it but didn't" - Hmmmm.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

So sorry this happened to you - eBay customer service is a joke!!

Please use plain text.
amazing_american_antiques
Community Member

I call CS just to mess with them and get them off their 'scripts' they read from. First thing I do is get them to admit that there name isn't "Michael" or "Jennifer", with accents as thick as they have.

Please use plain text.
johnrj1226
Community Member

Bet your life is realy interesting.

Please use plain text.
buxton.207
Community Member

What happened ro Ebay's customer service? This is the worst I have ever seen.

Just had an agent laugh at me, when I asked for a supervisior, they disconnected me,

Unreal!!!!!

Not sure how long I want to be an Ebay seller, or anything to do with Ebay anymore.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to buxton.207

Been on the phone with eBay CS all morning, regarding a member who has attempted to defraud our company. Every call has been answered by someone to whom English is obviously a second language. Every time, I have asked to be transferred to eBay Trust and Safety, and when transferred, I get the same thing there...

I do not mind speaking with people who have an accent, but I really doubt they understand my position or concern in this instance. I have had to tell my story about six times so far today, and still have not reached any sort of understanding with eBay CS on the issue. I am now on hold with Trust and Safety yet again as I type, and I fear that we will simply be railroaded through the support system yet another time, with hopes that we simply give up, take the loss, and move on...

That is *totally unacceptable* to me.

I no longer feel like a valued member and selling customer.

eBay is going down the tubes in a very bad way.

Please use plain text.
johnrj1226
Community Member

in reply to buxton.207

If that happened, you should have called back to report this sitaution you've described, there is a log of who took your call & all calls are recorded. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

No one can change the outsourcing of calls centers but the eBay Members themselves. That is you and I ! As long as we sit by and gripe nothing will be done.  We must cut off the America business from eBay period. Until we stand up for what we believe in and stand up for America business we need to stop talking, talk is cheap ! Are you willing to cut back on your listings for 30 days, not talking about one or two members, all American business must do it. We must demand a call center for the United States with a number listed for that call center. We must DEMAND a US Call center for US callers only, list a number and hire people to answer the phone in less than 34 minutes it is now taking in ASIA and then you can't understand them. They have a call center in Salt Lake City, Utah, but you can't dial directly to it, you must go through the ASIA Call center. Who is at fault, us the members of eBay for still feeding them with our money. Don't just talk, do something. I call them once a week and demand to speak to an American call center just to be able to let them know I don't like it, has it done any good, No, but if enough people did it, it would help, it will help to cut of their money. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to johnrj1226

Ebay may be international, but we are not, it is clear that you have been brain washed, there is not but one call center that gets all the calls from our zone. ASIA, if you shout loud enough you might get to Salt Lake City, Utah. If you are so please with all the call centers then share the phone numbers. We should have known we would have stepped on someones toes, we were not talking about race dummy or how polite people are, we were talking about solving our problems when someone can't understand you. It is people like you that must be on the eBay international board. Can't believe this comment, most of us know it is not true.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to kristinechris

You are totally lost, we are  not talking about world politics, where what and were, we are not talking about one country vs another we are not talking about race, or how large the world is getting. We are talking about how bad of service we are getting from eBay from  the one specific call center ASIA. Plain and simple I need to run a business and if the person in ASIA cant understand me, then to solve a problem is impossible. Don't you even suggest that I learn that language, my business is in America and for that I am proud. Again you are totally lost on this subject and so are many others, we are talking about the lack of customer service for the American eBay Customers, if you a problem with that then I am sorry 

Please use plain text.