eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

Countdown on clock not working

Would anyone know why some days the time when you are watching an auction stops. I never had to keep hitting the refresh button before????? I just lost an auction because of this problem.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Countdown on clock not working

in reply to 2012ren12

It only works if you are a buyer. If you were planning on buying the item you should have placed a bid. I know sometimes the thing is to place the last bid so no one bids over you, but you never know if the high bidder placed a bid just high enough to go over you.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 2012ren12

No...countdown clocks should always work and you certainly don't have to place a bid to view it...but at the moment most clocks are not working....logging off and back on

did not help...it must be an Ebay internal problem

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 2012ren12

Clocks aren't working, it's VERY annoying.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 2012ren12

I'm a newbie ~ I've just wasted 3 hours of my time trying to fix the clock and thinking it was

me :smileysad:  Does this happen a lot? Because if so, I'm outa here!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 2012ren12

if the item still has a bin available, the countdown doesn't run because technically it could end at any time with someone pushing the bin button.

the countdown timer has been off in some categories so don't depend on it.  Most times I time it about 7 seconds slow but one category it was running about 4 minutes off. I would watch the listing at a different site and watch the bidding and the ending and reclicked over here and see minutes left and just chuckle at the snipers that are losing out because the clock is off.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 2012ren12
The fact that there is NO PLACE to report tech problems to Ebay is probably the biggest problem here.

With all the mentions of broken clocks and NO responses from the Ebay team is kind of disappointing not to say bad business practice.

Everyone loses when the clock goes down, buyer, seller and especially Ebay who will get less fees. They really need a place to make tech alerts.
Hope someone reads this in the head office
Please use plain text.
rouleur
Community Member

in reply to peg0myhearty

Rather than devoting effort to keeping useful things like the countdown clock working as it should, eBay seems more interested in introducing "innovations" like the new notifications bell - a distracting and, frankly, idiotic feature that continually prompts me to increase my bids for items I've already won and, in some instances, already received.  It's the latest incarnation of the even more annoying pop-up that, thankfully, was removed after so many voiced their dissatisfaction.    

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to rouleur

All of the foregoing discussion points to eBay changing the way the bid function works (does NOT matter if you have clicked on "Bid," the clock will not count down) in an attempt to force the final price higher.  This benefits them in their fees but does nothing for the buyer.  So, if I am not selling, I am NOT buying anymore with this change in effect.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to collectored

I think it has to do with the browser used to view the auction.

On my computer for the same auction:

Countdown timer DOES NOT work in Firefox version 23.0

Countdown timer DOES work in Google Chromium Version 28.0.1500.71

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to militaria1943

rectification to my previous post.

it has to do with being logged in or off

On my computer for the same auction:

Countdown timer DOES  work in Firefox version 23.0 and Google Chromium Version 28.0.1500.71 if you are logged off

Countdown timer DOES  NOT work in Firefox version 23.0 and Google Chromium Version 28.0.1500.71 if you are logged in

Please use plain text.