eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups are a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: COMPLAINT AGAINST EBAY, seller not protected

[ Edited ]
in reply to ankhhoodiegirl713

I sold a pair of shoes to Australia. He immediately complained about the high shipping price. So, being a nice person I found a less expensive way to ship his item but it had no tracking international. The guy and eBay screwed me because my receipt was not enough to prove that he received them. So, he told eBay he didn't get them, and they refunded all his money plus I lost $45 more in shipping charges. This site is a joke, not protecting the seller.  I have tried to delete my account but they won't because they said I have to wait 30 days after a transaction to delete it. I would not sell or buy anything ever again on this god forsaken site and I have used social media to expose the lying, cheating scumbag who stole my merchandise since eBay won't even let me leave him negative feedback.  Don't waste your time, Amazon is the way to go. It is a bigger company,  faster shipping, free shipping for prime, and you are protected. Ebay is s all about themselves and their profits, they don't care about the seller. 

Community Member

Re: COMPLAINT AGAINST EBAY

in reply to zorgg

HATE e-bay!  Sold lego engineering product to customer - absolutely complete, with curriculum.  Customer complained that product was incomplete and that the table of contents page was torn out.  Ebay made me pay for return shipping - I wasn't about to let them keep product.  Buyer returned product with signature confirmation - luckily I was actually home at the time.  I opened box, none of the legos had been opened - so it wasn't complete. She didn't even know what she was looking at.   The table of contents page had indeed been ripped out but was still in the book so??? Buyer then proceeded to contact me EVERY DAY until I refunded her, even though eBay gave a date two weeks in the future for the refund date.  Buyer filed for a contact request, ebay gave her my home phone number and she proceeded to CALL as well as EMAIL and threatened to file a police report when I had not refunded her money after 4 days.  I put her off until the last day just for annoyance factor.  Lost $270 and had to change my number.  All over a table of contents page? I guess she couldn't figure out how legos worked?   Leaving EBAY for good. 

Community Member

in reply to 2015polha

Me too.  I'm getting screwed by ebay after selling an item to a scammer.

Community Member

in reply to passline

This WILL catch up with Ebay.  They are tanking already, it is just a matter of time they fall into the dinosaur category.  I closed my store quickly after being scammed twice in one week, with full proof and they sided with the scammers, and to add insult to injury, my performance standard was dinged too.  Wow, an unethical organization will never survive like this. 

Community Member

in reply to angie19730_3

With all the replies read, what do sellers expect eBay to do? Change policies? Make it easier for us? The fact of the matter is, eBay chooses to favor buyers, always have and always will. The rules and regulations such as DSR's are a joke. It simply takes a few morons to get us kicked off and this is proven time and time again, Ten or fifteen years ago, eBay was the BEST selling forum that I had ever experienced. I've curtailed my selling drastically on eBay and have found other avenues to sell that do not practice the ridiculous eBay Big Brother mentality. Discontented customers need to find vehicles OUTSIDE of eBay if it is so upsetting and there are other ways to sell wares. In conclusion, looking back over the last ten years, has eBay penalized sellers more and more? The answwer is yes and any seller who thinks they will become fairer to us in the future is a fool. Happy selling!!!!!

Community Member

FROM ALL THE HORROR STORIES- MAYBE WE AS SELLERS HAVE TO LOOK AT BUYER'S FEEDBACK FIRST!. I SOLD A CLOCK  BUT SOMETHING SEEMED STRAGE-LOOKED UP THE BUYER NAME ON YAHOO -A KNOWN  SCAMMER COMPANY SO iI MADE SURE I TOOK PICTURES RIGHT BEFORE SHIPPING TO PROVE THE BOX WAS IN GOOD SHAPE,BOUGHT INSURANCE, AND EMAILED BUYER I KNEW OF THE SCAMMING THING.  *** I GOT GOOD FEEDBACK!. PERHAPS IF WE  SEE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK WE CAN MAKE THE BUYER AWARE OF THIER PAST HISTORY.BUT THEN AGAIN  THE SELLER IS NOT ALLOWED TO LEAVE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK-THEN LOOK FOR A NEUTRAL FEEDBACK-THAT'S A CLUE.

Community Member

in reply to trouve01
I have the same issue...i have been a powerseller with ebay for more than 10years......Ebay has now put me into below standard status stating its due to the fact that I had a defect 8 months ago.........of course buyers know that they can complain and open a case against sellers and get things for free on ebay.....ebay has set their system up to allow buyers to easily manipulate the system and manipulate the sellers at their will.....and unfortunately per my experience, as a seller we get absolutely no support or help from Ebay at all.....IT IS EXTREMELY disappointing.
Community Member

Same here.  I was a top rated seller until these new policies came into play.  Now I'm moving on and never looking back.  Sold a rare betamax vcr to a buyer in Ohio.  They claimed it wouldn't power on or accept tapes.  Ebay forced me to pay the return shipping.  Got the box today and the thing is scrap now.  Buyer didn't bother protecting it at all in the box and buttons are smashed and front face is falling off.  Funny thing is.....  I plugged it in and everything worked fine on it.

Sent all kinds of pics to Ebay including one that showed that it was working fine.  After 6 hours on the phone with mostly Phillipino women, I ended up being told that a full refund would be given to the buyer whether I liked it or not and it would be deducted from my account.  So not only did I pay shipping both ways but now they want me to fully refund this person and what do I have?  A smashed vcr that won't even sell as scrap.  What am I going to do?  Emptied my Paypal account.  Put a huge message on Ebay saying I'm closing my store and moving over to Bonanza.  Contacted my bank and told them to deny any payment requests from Ebay or Paypal (paid for this one).  Filed a BBB complaint against Ebay.  And, I plan on filing a complaint with CA Consumer Protection.

All Sellers need to either stop listing anything for sale for 1 or 2 months straight or stage a mass exodus.  Once it hits Ebay's pockets, they may start listening to the people who built them into what they are now.

Community Member

eBay summarily refunded Buyer for an item that was as described when sold.
Recently sold an atari 800 computer (reference ebay transaction 251985927066 ) that was equiped with an aftermarket rom called omnimon that is useful for programming applications.

Since I was cleaning out all my atari stuff I threw an extra joystick and dual paddle controller in the box.
The buyer, obviously wanting a free omnirom, complained that the omnirom was not in the computer and wanted a $30 refund so he would not file an ebay claim. Told him in no uncertain words that I knew the ommirom was in the computer when I shipped it and would offer no rebate.
Buyer did file a claim with ebay and they sided with this seller; long and short is that I lost my omnirom, my shipping costs and my ebay/paypal fees.
Adding insult to a disgusting experience, when the buyer returned the atari he also did not return the extra joystick and paddle controller and claimed that they were not in the box - SELLER BEWARE!

Community Member

Ebay has created a scammers paradise. It allows foreigners to rip off Americans with ease and impunity. A scammer simply buys something expensive to ship then claims an Item not as described claim. Ebay's Sept 2014 user agreement amendment says the seller pays return shipping if the item wasn't as described. Now Ebay has characterised not as described as :

listing said you were purchasing a bicycle helmet, but you received a picture of a bicycle helmet. •

The item condition is wrong. For example, the listing said it was brand new, but the item you receive is clearly used.

Some parts or components are missing.

It’s defective during the first use (unless clearly described as not working). •

It’s a different version or edition than the item displayed in the listing.

It’s described as authentic but it isn't. •

You purchased three items from a seller but only received two.

The item was damaged in shipment.

These are pretty stringent requirements for a not as described claim. They furthermore go on to specifically state that this claim is NOT valid if the item has minor scratches and was described as used. What the **bleep**s don't tell you is that the buyer--even a Russian scammer-- is the sole judge of whether a item is not recieved. What they also don't tell you is that the seller must pay for return shipping if he wants access to any of Ebay's mediation in dispute.

Ebay's own Case Resolution Flow indicates that after 7 calender days to resolve the case the seller can contest the dispute. This doesn't happen. Ebay tells you to pony up with even more money and have the buyer return the item. This is of course risky because all the buyer has to do is return an empty box with a tracking number to sho it was delivered and if the seller complains, Ebay will side again with the buyer. Ebay never tells you that if you don't pay for return shipping, there is no opportunity to be heard and no right of appeal. This is of course false advertising and a betrayal of the sellers who have made Ebay and the aiding and abetting of foreign criminals.

Ebays' Buyer protection program ought to be called the **bleep** the seller program. Many companies offer money back or satisfaction guarantees, but they do it with their own money. Ebay does it with other peoples money, most often American money which goes to known hoodlums in known scammer countries like Russia.

Never Ever Ever sell to Russia and if you can avoid Ebay at all, do it. Ebay is run by idiots, criminal sympathsizers and traitors to the country that gave them the opportunity to be what they are. In return for this they are screwing sellers with no remorse and no concern with their promises and obligation to sellers. If you are a seller, sooner or later they will screw you

Community Member

in reply to ioannaf1l1

That's exactly the same what just happened to me

No money from the item sold

I paid shipping,  lost $600

I will not sell anything on Ebay again !

I am doing it now thru other kind of advertisement and safer than Ebay

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to kelmarnin

That's exactly what just happened to me. The buyer is always right. All scumbags nowadays buy things on ebay, break them then return them. I would never EVER sell on ebay anything that i'm not ready to be lost in a buyer's .... . I lost a phone plus money on shipping. Learnt my lesson.

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to fantasticnadia2012

For all you long time eBayers like me.....1998.....Who dont know why eBay is so anti itself....eBAy is working for Homeland Security.

That's why Chinese made garbage has flodded eBay's sales and ruined the whole eBay experience for nearly all it's customers, seller, and buyers....eBay has been given Billions by China  so it does not care about anything....and it's police work for homeland security and the NSA are why it's not caring about customer complaints, competition , or anything....it's got a blank check from Homeland Security and China to do what ever it wants.....that's the deal.....

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to lorisadizon2013

You are correct. Customer service is seriosly flawed. I spent over two hours on the phone,. Transferred several times and disconnected two times. Still no resolution.I would suggest contacting John J Donohoe the CEO and make him aware of the problems.  I was unable to find a direct contact number yet but a mailing address is listed below.

I am sure he may not be aware of some of the concerns listed here.

Good luck to all

Community Member

in reply to duran.gab
You're right coz I have a seller until now my item not been ship out and I report to resolution center ithe message pop item ship but on my purchase item paid but not ship.my seller never reply to all my email, how the eBay protection work for us, pls correct me if I am wrong I need help with my seller how can I get back my money from this seller
Community Member

in reply to trouve01

i feel the same way , 13 years one ebay almoust 2 000000 in sales and no respect, i am shocked, i was talking to other ebay sellers and all of them have the same sense , i am not sure, what to is going on,

Community Member

in reply to duran.gab

I have sold on Ebay for 15 years….100 percent Positive Reviews.  I was put at below standard in February due to 7 cases where buyers did not receive goods in 4 days..even though I clearly state 15-21 days as goods are sent internationally.  All cases were rescinded by the buyers….April 1st I received a curt letter (no thanks for 15 years of being a loyal seller) that stated my account has been suspend indefinitely-no appeal process.  Upon calling Ebay I was transferred to the Accounts Department where I was told they could NOT give me a resown for the suspension "due to security reasons".  I continued to explain that they need to give me a reason.  To which I was told.  I "do not meet the quality of the Ebay family.  Bye for Now"…and the representative HUNG UP.  15 years…..NOT one Negative review.  Never a lost package…..and I paid between 100-300 a month in fees…..

Community Member

Terrible terrible customer service and these ppl just make millions........everyone should just stop using ebay and ban them. See how far their company suceeds! Hahaha
Community Member

[ Edited ]

I cant even close my account after these GREEDY **bleep**s keep charging me on seller fees I already paid. Its unbelievable and then you try to contact them, your out on hold forever, they are rude and keep saying let me check on that and you owe for xyz. Well check last months statement and they say well idk why your being charged again. Let me check on that....oh yea well this will be the last time....so I say I want to close my account, well they can't do that.

Community Member

in reply to cafesacher

I too endorse your view. E-bay has a unacceptable, least cutomer friendly face. There is no way to scale up a protest or complaint. My experience is not different. I purchased a a Bluetooth headset Nokia (Paisapay  ID38846931217:Rec#7268 dt 17 Mar 2015). The item had a few scratch marks and its charging indicators did not work. There were no manual also, and so I registered a complaint (ID no. 925230). Their representatives took their own time to respond. Finally after checking with teh seller with whom I had already contacted and agreed to a replacement provided the material reaches them back. So, when I was contacted, I requested for a return arrangement, to which the call centre representative, after some enquiry, said their courier service does not have a delivery and I am supposed to sendit on my cost. She repeated that Fedex, their official courier will not deliver in Ambernath which is the seller location. I asked her how come it was picked up by teh courie while it cannot be delivered. I also pointed out the courier that delivered the product is Blue Dart, not Fedex through which teh same can be picked up. The representative did not listen and kept saying teh max time for sending it at my cost was 72 ghours, and teh cost will be returned in terms of ebay coupons. The person did not allow the complaint to be scaled up to a senior with whom I wanted to talk. And who needs Ebay coupons when teh post sales service is trash like this? I may not be able to do much, I will not step into ebay not even a single time hereafter and would keep teeling all my friends and relatives to AVOID EBAY AT ALL COSTS.