cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay unfair to sellers

why does ebay have such distain for its sellers. Up untill 4 weeks ago I was a top rated seller with 100% feedback (1150 transactions) then I made the mistake of selling to low rated buyers (little or now feedback), at which point I recieved 2 neutral and 1 neg feedback, one was for dust in the bottom of a vase, second was not as described shoe size, when detailed measurements were provided, and my favorite was not shipping to a non verified address, all resulted in my calling customer (non) support, at which time I was denied any resolution, now as a result my seller rating was lowered and my funds are pending on paypal. So I removed all of my listings, canceled my current active auctions and will be moving on, I am sorry I wasted 4 years of my time thinking ebay was great, when it is a terrible environment for sellers, and the people who make policy should be terminated. Just type ebay unfair to its sellers in Google and look at the thousands of complaints. I will be making it my mission to trash ebay on every venue possible, and I will be in good company, also paypal is a joke, 4 years of flawless transactions and they put my funds on hold?????????????????????

Message 1 of 259
latest reply
258 REPLIES 258

Re: ebay unfair to sellers

YEP ebay is not what they appair to be! I have over 400 items listed and they and more to list, all of a sudden out of no where i get blind sided with a email that i fell below standards becouse i had 7 out of stock items with in a year or items wich may have been litsed again by mistake, the bottom line they cut my limit down to 150 items, all that time i put into the listings and they just go and flip the switch, I have a 99.9% feed back what the hell do i do now? you should have good custumer service but why **bleep** your sellers like that

Message 61 of 259
latest reply

I just had a buyer try to extort money from me rather openly via messages, with the threat of negative feedback if I didn't give him a full refund for an item he had no intention of returning. Furthermore he even stated the item was in good condition. I didn't give him the money, he gave me the negative feedback, spent 30 minutes on the phone with ebay reading the messages to which I of course got no help. But at one the point the woman on the phone started making up a story about how he might just be a poor customer and in his mind he thinks what he's saying is fair. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. She sounded delusional as she made up this whole scenario in which that kind of behavior in that man's mind might be acceptable.

It was clearly an attempt to get free merchandise. No help from eBay, there never is. I was treated unfairly twice in this scenario.

Message 62 of 259
latest reply

Yes they are unfair. Paypal is doing a much better job. Now they are splits, I think many people will boycott selling in ebay if they dont make their policies fair.

Message 63 of 259
latest reply

I hear you e bay has me at my wits end with their treatment of me! we have used e bay for 5 years same as you blind sided out of nowhere treats sellers like dog****
Message 64 of 259
latest reply

After 15 years of selling on eBay with 100% positive feedback I am eager to find a different venue for selling now too.

Twice in the last 6 months I have had fragile items that I insured properly get destroyed by the carrier and both times eBay stepped in with their Buyer Protection program and totally trashed me for being the seller. In the first case UPS tossed around a piece of vintage electronics so hard it broke one of the glass vacuum tubes. The buyer asked for a total refund, which eBay granted immediately. He then sent it back to me via USPS, all according to eBay's instructions. I was never given a chance to get involved. Mixing carriers this way voided my insurance. Fortunately, the mistake on eBay's part was so obvious that they actually refunded me the full $180. that I would have gotten from UPS if eBay would have just stayed out of my affairs.

Yesterday I lost $275. in a very similar situation where FedEx destroyed 1 of the 2 fragile items I had packed in a custom built wood crate by obviously dropping the crate hard enough on a sharp corner to punch a hole through the bottom. I insured the whole crate for $600. So when the buyer discovered the damaged item I opened a claim with FedEx and scheduled a time for them to inspect it. FedEx was provided plenty of photo documentation of the damage but they wanted to take the crate to their facility for inspection anyway. The buyer refused to let them take it because he wanted to keep the good item that was also built into the crate. EBay stepped in and immediately refunded the 1/2 of the total purchase representing the broken item and at the same time eBay told me they would support me as well in getting MY refund from FedEx. That was a lie. Instead what happened was that the $275. refund to the buyer was taken out of my account and the eBay case was immediately determined to be resolved and it was closed, permanently. Because eBay jumped in and gave the buyer exactly what he wanted the buyer no longer had any reason to help me get MY refund from FedEx. I couldn't say he was being "uncooperative". He just couldn't stay home from work for the 12 hour window FedEx offered waiting for them to show up again to do the inspection. So he destroyed the crate to get it out of his way.

FedEx and eBay have both washed their hands of the whole mess now. Everyone but me, the seller, was made whole. Problem solved, in the minds of corporate eBay. They have a formula that is working great for them. They just offer automated conflict resolution where the seller is always the guilty party and the seller is always the one who pays restitution. Ebay avoids all responsibility and all management costs that way. E-Commerce needs a Donald Trump bad!

Message 65 of 259
latest reply

yeah, tell me about it- I sold a pair of sunglasses (vintage ray-bans) to a foreign buyer for a lot of money.  They decide they don't want them as they stated the size wasn't what they wanted ( but nothing was damaged or defective) ...I listed no returns in the listing so they buyer falsifies that the listing was wrong (it wasn't) ....Ebay doesn't even ask my side of the story and grants a refund and then charges me for it  ....get this.... let's the buyer keep the glasses !  So ebay gives him a refund of my  money and he also gets my glasses !! I actually told the buyer that if he'd mail them back I'd do a refund but he wanted me to pay for his return shipping when I refused to paynthe return shipping he filed with ebay and now they took the money from my paypal account to refund him his payment even though I didn't get the glasses back,,,,,,Ebay is crooked! They help scammer buyers! 

Message 66 of 259
latest reply

Dang...Same thing happened to me...Out of the blue after selling on Ebay for years and never under a 99.6% feedback...I was told the same thing..They have kept $138 dollars of my money because they don't close accounts for law reasons..Never have gave me a straight answer why I can't return to selling...It is like all of a sudden they just throw you off at their good pleasure..And customer service is a joke!!!

@skippercuts32 wrote:

YEP ebay is not what they appair to be! I have over 400 items listed and they and more to list, all of a sudden out of no where i get blind sided with a email that i fell below standards becouse i had 7 out of stock items with in a year or items wich may have been litsed again by mistake, the bottom line they cut my limit down to 150 items, all that time i put into the listings and they just go and flip the switch, I have a 99.9% feed back what the hell do i do now? you should have good custumer service but why **bleep** your sellers like that

Message 67 of 259
latest reply

give me a call like you story

Message 68 of 259
latest reply

with ebay the buyer can say I didn't receive the item as quick as I wanted I want my shipping charge back, ebay allows a negative ,item shipped same day as purchased

Message 69 of 259
latest reply

Same story here. I even reported the buyer immediately after the returns window closed (and after they refused to return the item and asked for my personal e-mail address under threat of negative feedback). This buyer clearly violated the buyers policy and returns policy, making unreasonable demands and asking for a full refund without returning the product depite a clearly outlined return policy in the original listing. Not only was the buyer able to leave negative feedback, but I was informed by an Ebay customer service representative that Ebay could not view our communications due to their privacy policy. So how did or do they supposedly investigate reports of buyer extortion and unreasonable demands if they can't view the messages??? Furthermore, because I did not see the negative feedback until after 90 days, Ebay has informed me that I have zero recourse outside of posting  a reply to the negative feedback (I was told not they were physically unable to remove it at this point). This is the only negative feedback I have ever received (buying or selling) in over 10 years of business with Ebay. If disputes are contingent upon stringent timeframes, then why doesn't Ebay notify sellers of a negative review during the timeframe that they can dispute it? Why can't sellers leave negative reviews for buyers anymore?? How is it fair or reasonable for all buyers to retain and maintain a 100% positive rating when we all know they are scammers out there??? BEWARE OF EBAY SELLER PROTECTION!!!

Message 70 of 259
latest reply

I ahve 100% feedback up until now, Customer bought a product and wants to return it becuse of a "damaged Box" no pictures, nothing. Was sold as a no return auction, but eBay allows return, charges me the fees, the return shipping and syas PAy PAl will also charge me the fees. Interesting how if eBay and PayPal are 2 seoerate companies EBay can speak for PayPal. Anyway it is a no win if you are a seller on Ebay, In Ebays opion the buyer is always right, which really confuses me since the SELLERS are the ones who pay the fees that keeps eBay in business. It used to be that we the selelrs weere thecustomer (for eBay), but apparently eBay is now convinced that the buyer who pays eBay nothing is their true customer. Like the previous poster I will also try to spread the word of the unbelievabe treatment Seller on ebay get. Enough of my rant, but here is a copy of the message I sent to eBay customer service in responce to the claim a the buyer placed against me:

I have been in the retail business for over 40 years and if nothing else I have learned a few things in those years is A. The buyer is not always right. B. If I mess up do everything to make it right. C. Some buyers are just crooks. and D. If the buyer is wrong and claims they will never return they are usually lying because they almost always do.
This said I really find it amazing that a company as large as Ebay  has lost focus on who their real customer is. IT IS THE SELLLER. Not the buyer, because buyers will always come but when you have nothing or no one to sell, it makes no difference how many buyers you have. The SELLERS pay the fees that you get paid from. I have been buying and selling on ebay since 2002, and in fact since the first of the year have paid over $200.00 in selling fees, but not a dime when I buy something. Additionally since I opened this account I have had 185 reviewed sales resulting in thousands of dollars in sales which equates to hundreds of dollars in Seller Fees (only 2 negative feedback) and have never lost a dispute until now. I realize that I am not one of these super sellers who actually operate a retail business over Ebay, but my guess would be that the little sellers like me are the ones that keep Ebay in business.  I am not saying I will discontinue the use of Ebay, but rest assured there will be little to no selling done by me anytime in the near future, and I will be vocal in my disgust for the way in which Ebay treats its real customer THE SELLER.

Message 71 of 259
latest reply

Same thing here  I had someone buy a paerts only phone from me  cussed me out  removed parts from the phone and returned it  ebay forced a complete refund and said they talked to me on the phone which they never did  think i am going to stop selling  way too one sided  

Message 72 of 259
latest reply

That happened to me also
Message 73 of 259
latest reply

That happened to me also they bought a ring , took out the diamond , made a mold of the setting then slapped the diamond back in . It cost me 50.00 to have the setting repaired . I had photos of before and after I received it back and you could see what they did right in the photo but ebay still made me return every penny🙁
Message 74 of 259
latest reply

ebay is just for the big company now they dont care about the seller with 200 or 400 feed back the people that made them what they are today......

Message 75 of 259
latest reply