cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does EBay keep changing the search menu??!!

I have seen other people complain about this as well, but....I want to say something. Why on earth is Ebay changing it's search engine? I was doing okay about 3 days ago when I was doing searches. Now, first of all, the search menu doesn't even have a menu now where you can check the box that says
"search using title and description". No, instead, now I need to go and look under Advanced Search and then check the box in that menu. Furthermore, when I go to finally look at the items that are under the search using title and description, if I change the category to something else, it will not remember that I had a check mark under "Search using title and description". I regularly look for longalls and jon jons every week (see my Ebay ID name, by the way?) and this is only going to complicate matters even more for me. So now every time when I look under a certain category (eg. baby and toddler clothes, and switch to looking under different sizes, eg. 2T, 3T, 4T, etc) I am going to have to go back to the ridiculous advanced search page and check it every time for search under title and description. This will turn day long searches into 2 days or 3 days searches. I don't know why Ebay had to mess around with something that worked already fine. Didn't they ever hear of "if it isn't broken, then don't change it??". I guess not apparently. Ebay has been getting very irritating recently, changing this and that, the font on this and that, the saved items list, and everything!! And Paypal is not that much better! After spending $10,000, they wanted me to go and become a verified member and attach my bank account to Paypal. I did that, but it was very annoying, and I've read messages from people on Ebay that have been so aggravated by this that they are totally dropping out of EBay. Way to make people stop being sellers and buyers, EBay.

Can any of you please tell me if there is a way that I can go back to the old format?? Sometimes you can do that. On Youtube for example, for a while at least, you used to be able to go to the old format. Isn't there a way to go back to the menu on Ebay just only a week ago?? There must be a way, or I am going to go into orbit and go crazy. If this continues like this, I am going to have lots of problems looking at auctions. Ebay seems to be as incompetent as members of the Congress.....they just want to "Fix" things that aren't broken, and they are making things worse and worse and worse. I don't know when Ebay will finally get the message. Maybe if more people like me complain about this, they might stop their shenanigans and stop trying to make things harder for us. Geez. I love collecting boutique and high end longalls and jon jons (which is mostly a children's clothing item you find in the Deep South mostly, smocked children's clothes are definitely a southern thing), but this is going to start to make it harder for me to do. I go through thousands of auctions a week, and the way Ebay is ruining things, it's going to take me much longer to get through.

Please help!!

Thanks, Codi Preston from California

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

hauntedmansion
Enthusiast

Cody, you are absolutely right.  I have the exact same issue going on.  I just spend 20 minutes speaking to an eBay manager about this.  Will they change it back? Who knows. In the meantime, as you said, your searches have become much more time consuming with the end result of you making less purchases.  And I don't think eBay realizes that collectors do not have to buy anything at all on eBay. The more time consuming and frustrating the searches become, NOT wasting time and NOT buying on eBay becomes the more attractive option.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

It's just something to keep all those programmers busy. The changes are very frustrating from a user standpoint. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Ebay has the worse search, worse than Google but it also has to do with sellers who continue to abuse listings. They will list a Timex watch to include names like rolex and seiko so that the search engines make it pop up.

Sometimes I hate searching so much (ebay listen here) I give up.

Search is unusable on my Iphone and tablet when I search for a wrist watch I get underware and other non watches

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I use advance search it works better and allows you to filter better.

the current search ( not advanced) will not allow cut and paste this is a huge problem, but then again Ebay has never cared about customers only the fees they can charge

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Don't know, but it they are making it harder and harder to search completed items. Not sure why they are doing this. Now Advanced Search only shows "On eBay Motors", "By Seller", or "By Item Number". What is the big, big one missing? By "Member ID"!

I can't think of any rational reason for this. The Seller Profile page has removed the Item link AND the item title. Why? This is very useful info for determining if a seller has sold expensive items or cheap items, as far as successful sales go.

The "By Member ID" search let you see if a buyer really was legit in bidding on, and receiving positive feedback for, high dollar items.

I fear that eBay forgets that the more they alienate sellers, the less they will sell stuff, and if there are no sellers, there cannot be any buyers.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

why does ebay keep changing its search engine?

for the same reason that I keep getting updates on my iPhone and iPad

(that make things harder to use),

updates to my browser (which changes my settings),

and updates to all the software on my computer

(in the name of enhancements and security).

i definately agree that some things are better left alone.

but the tech world is geared to teens and 20somethings -

and we all know how easy they get bored.

the changes keep them happy for a few minutes.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I a really really frustrated with ebay keeps changing my search category..I want all categories and it changes it to whateer it wants..like coats and jackets..when I want to see all Burberry Shearling items.

ebay keeps spending money on changes that are actually contrary to good business. they are limiting my purchase choices to what they want there fore penalising sellers.

and users!

let's go back to the way it was!

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

They keep changing categories so that seller's have to list in more categories thus more money for Ebay!  They don't care about convenience for buyers or their sellers.  It's all about how much money they can suck out of people!

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

On a slightly unrelated note... They have to keep the programmers doing SOMETHING so now they are changing the COLORs of eBay icons and background text. They are mostly greying things out on the screen to make it harder to see what to click on. I mean it's just ridiculous. You get used to a web page and how it looks and feels and they will change the colors and scheme of it all in the name of "improvement" when there was nothing wrong with it to begin with!! They hired an Apple exec and we all know how much Apple loves to grey things out and make it harder to distinguish what you can click on and what can't be clicked on and it looks like that's what their doing - making their web pages more Apple-ish. It's just crazy. You get used to an eBay web page and they change it. Apparently just for the sake of changing it because usually there's nothing wrong with the way it looked, felt or worked in the first place!! Arghhh - they've got to waste their money somehow I guess.
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Well they just did it again!! As of this morning, eBay has completely changed the shipping label creation web page!! There was absolutely NOTHING wrong with the "old" shipping label creation page and this new web page is a MESS. Yet again, a web page that didn't need to be "improved" and was very intuitive, they've completely changed and now it's incredibly hard and VERY unintuitive to navigate. AWFUL - thinking about switching all sales to Amazon MarketPlace. eBay management obviously doesn't get it... LEAVE YOUR WEB PAGES ALONE UNLESS THERE'S A VERY VALID REASON TO MAKE MAJOR CHANGES!!!!
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

yea ebay stop it
Message 12 of 12
latest reply