cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusual sales decline Mid July till current. Anyone else or just me.

I had a major sale decline started in mid July to current.

Just currious if anyone else has had this. Its not the normal slow down that happens at times.

Just wanting to know how many others maybe are experiencing it.

If I am the only one, need to look at my inventory and prices, but if it effecting everyone else as well, then its beyound my control.

Thanks for any input into the matter.

Message 1 of 72
latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

My sales are absolutely horrible. I have been selling on ebay since 1998 and have never seen ebay like this. The sad thing is people are not even looking at any of my new listings. And there have been lots of them. I am totally confused about this. Such a waste of money to keep relisting.

Message 2 of 72
latest reply

You are not the only one.

There is something seriously wrong.

I have been having issues since April. Up and down. More down than up. Or you can say on and off. However you want to look at it.

Trying to hold on, hoping Ebay fixes whatever they are doing. Hoping this is not Ebay's plan to keep running the site this way.

Losing faith. 

Message 3 of 72
latest reply

I can testify that since april/ may I have dropped off 80% and its been Horrible!!! the worst part is the 31 cases i have had to file on NON PAYING BIDDERS...scammed twice in ONE MONTH and 5 times this year on items returned that were either swapped out or just plain buyers remorse to the tune of 600 plus dollars...I hold my breath and wait after shipment to see what comes out of the woodwork after each sale!! ;((

What I thought would be a blessing to help pay my medical costs has turned into a nightmare!

Once my full inventory is gone....so am I...I REALLY Don't think ebay gets it either.......I see posts like this over and over again...Good luck to those hangin in there....I hope I have my "Ebay Liquidation sale" sooner than later!! xoxo

Message 4 of 72
latest reply

We have all noticed that. There has also been a dramtaic decrease in both activity and sales volume recently. My belief is that it has something to do with how Ebay has "tweaked" their search engine. I notice that almost ALL my bids now come in immediately following the listing or just before the end of the auction, with almost NO activity in between...and this is very, very different on how sales activity has historically occurred (I've been here on Ebay 15 years). I have also noticed when searching that I get MANY MORE EBAY RESULTS using Google Search than I do using Ebay's own search engine...which is REALLY weird.

If someone is searching for an item, and it doesn't show up (or only shows up where Ebay wants it to....which I suspect is the case), it would definetly have an effect on our volume.

Once people learn they can have better results using Google Search, they also are finding alternatives to Ebay while in searching Google, which may also have some bearing here as they begin buying outside of Ebay.

Decrease in Sales + Increase in Fees = Off Site Dealer Migration.

Difficulty in Finding Desired Product Due To Inadequate Ebay Search Engine and Decrease in Dealers = Off Site Buyer Migration.

If Google is opening an auction site - which is rumored - this will get real interesting, real quick.

Message 5 of 72
latest reply

I buy way more than I try to sell and searching is very odd.

If I want to search for new shoes, black, leather, etc....I don't get 1/2 of what is available. I have to keep changing my search to include a million other things.

Very frustrating so I would imagine that is why many of us don't sell our things - no one finds them?

Message 6 of 72
latest reply

Yes, the sales decline since late July is rather drastic for me.

With all the updates and more listings...

I have never seen anything like this. If there is a problem with the new search engine, hopefully, eBay will look into it. Sales decrease is not in their best interest.

Message 7 of 72
latest reply

Believe it or not, do your search using Google and Google Pictures. It brings up more Ebay stuff than Ebay. I think that is a huge part of why sales are so poor, they have "tweaked" the search engine so it mostly supports those they want it to support. I've only been here 15 years. I don't count.

Message 8 of 72
latest reply

I buy way more than I try to sell and searching is very odd.

If I want to search for new shoes, black, leather, etc....I don't get 1/2 of what is available. I have to keep changing my search to include a million other things.

Very frustrating so I would imagine that is why many of us don't sell our things - no one finds them?

mzkk

I have to agree with you fully! I am convinced the search is broken, and I see evidence for this both as a buyer and as a seller, unfortunately.

Just recently I conducted a search for some expensive purses, and what came up included car parts, breakfast mugs and other stuff. Some of these results could be explained by seller errors in providing the item specifics or typos in their listing, but not all of the weird search results can.

Message 9 of 72
latest reply

Prettywoman....you mean you don't keep auto radiators and coffee mugs in your purse? I'm shocked!

Message 10 of 72
latest reply

Hello to all!

I am used to doing $6k a DAY in sales, now down to $2000 if I am lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, the "big" guys are down too.  Look at how many feedbacks I have, trust me, its either 2 things.

A) eBay

B) eBay

Amazon sales are WAY up, eBay sales are WAY DOWN.

Not sure what is going on, but its not good, and you are NOT alone.

I personally believe eBay is glitching out, and effecting sales all around, and of course they will NOT tell you.

Why would they?

Its horrible, its so bad, we are considering dropping eBay as a selling channel as its not even worth it at this rate.

Make our own pics, desc., ALL this other tedious work, and for what?

We will give it another month, if nothing, then bye bye!

Message 11 of 72
latest reply

Well I really dont like to be the roag voice in the crowd but we are actually up 80% and primarily in the last 6 weeks. Site traffic is marginally up but sales have incread 80% , really dont no how to explain this and we have data going back 5 years , Hope it keeps rolling

mark

Message 12 of 72
latest reply

bridal*by*mrs*bond
Enthusiast

Yes!  I am not a volume seller by any means, but I have been using eBay since 2001 and selling regularly since 2007.  I have typically made 15 to 20 sales a month in the last year and a half since I became a power seller and top rated seller.  I have noticed a dramatic decrease in sales since late July.  In June I had 20 sales, in August I had 6 and one didn't pay!  So far in Sept. I've had 5, but two did not pay leaving me with 3 sales this month.   My best sellers were personalized wedding items which require a processing time of 3 days.  Because I can not meet their 1 day shipping requirement, I've been knocked down in the Best Match listings.  I called and complained, and was told, "Changes are coming, but we can't say when."   Something is not right here.

Message 13 of 72
latest reply

Traffic on my store and listings has decreased 65% compared to September 2011. And it has decreased 30% or 40% compared to August 2012. I'm trying to find out what's happening cause this decline is not common at all. I've been selling since 2004 and, although June, July and August have always been the worst months in the year, September has always been the month when traffic and sales started to go up. I'm testing the search engine, but everything is fine. All my listings are appearing correctly, but traffic is really bad as well as sales. Very odd to see this in September! I'll contact eBay!

Message 14 of 72
latest reply

cowboyboots4u
Enthusiast

The fact is, you all complain, but never leave Ebay. there is nothing that compares to this BS company.

Message 15 of 72
latest reply