cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire Treads on Roadway

Yesterday afternoon driving to Atlanta there was yet again another truck tire blown all over the roadway.  These are dangerous and represent a safety hazard to motorists.

I called 9-1-1 and reported the tire that was in pieces all over the road.  Everyone is swerving trying to miss the debris, including me.  I told the 9-1-1 operator that they should make the truck driver eat the pieces if he/she wants to leave them on the road.

I will be talking with my state representative about introducing legislation requiring identification markers in truck tires and for the person driving when the tire blows apart to be responsible for the cleanup.  This would be large truck tires only.  Tires that are smaller don't typically blow apart like truck tires.

I will suggest that the driver be responsible to report the incident immediately and set up safety warnings.  

I do not like truckers and the mess that they make on our national freeways is terrible.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Tire Treads on Roadway

Great....truck-tire control! Have a unique identifier  on every tire sold, new or used, and of course, the resultant registry that would be necessary to keep track of who owns what; and the additional costs and taxes to pay for it all. And then when a tire blows, the trucker can pull over and walk back a mile or so, and dodge the 80MPH traffic to retrieve all of the pieces. (Yeah, you REALLY don't like truckers!)

Maybe with all of the road use and other taxes truckers pay, the DOT and donut-eaters and road maintenance crews could just do their jobs if they weren't so busy nailing law-abiding citizens for going 5MPH over the arbitrary speed limit, or persecuting those truckers for having a light out on the back of their tractor, which no one sees anyway, 'cause it's hidden by the trailer (Unless of course it's a unionized state employee making $45/hr. doing a 2 hr. fine-comb inspection on the guy's truck).....

Hmmm...maybe your post was satire, because you're usually too intelligent to really advocate such a thing.....

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

Tire Treads on Roadway

No I'm serious.  The truckers just drive away and leave the debris all over the road.  

It is dangerous and someone needs held accountable.  

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

Tire Treads on Roadway

Anonymous
Not applicable

Doesn't the big rig tire industry still have recapping and retreading? I'm fairly certain that they do and I wonder if the majority of the treads we see in the road are from recaps? They surely look like just tread most of the time....maybe it's time for that practice to stop? - 96.

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

Tire Treads on Roadway

It's less of a problem today than it used to be. I remember c. 1990 driving up I-65 from Nashville to central KY., the road was LITTERED with blown-out truck tires (I think it's only retreads that do that). I was dodging the darn things for like an hour- it was redonkulous! And that was just on one drive. Today, I live in the area, and rarely see even one piece of tire; much less a 70-mile long obstacle course of them....

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

Tire Treads on Roadway

@tony1963

Try being next to one when it blows,  change your undies time.

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

Tire Treads on Roadway

The problem is compounded by concrete highways and high temperatures, something that you have in the south but not necessarily in northern states.

I have called 9-1-1 and reported many trucks who were speeding and operating reckless on roadways.  I will continue to do so.

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

Tire Treads on Roadway

@tony1963 wrote:

The problem is compounded by concrete highways and high temperatures, something that you have in the south but not necessarily in northern states.

Exactly. It's something I never saw in all my 39 years living in the Northeast. I'll bet tire pressure has a lot to do with it, too. All that weight, if a pair of tires are even a little under-inflated, they're gonna really heat up.

Bet it must be fun for the people who draft semi's to get better MPGs! ( @atikovi Any stories??? 😉  )

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

Tire Treads on Roadway

There are several government regulatory programs like the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 393.75, which describes eight specific parts involving truck tires. Have an issue with truck tires, contact your state elected officials and have the laws changed. As long as the recaps meet the minimum reuirements, not a thing can be done, unless changed by legislation.

Many times the truck driver does not know that they have lost the recap on their truck, unless it causes a big difference in handling. There has to be more in life than chasing speeding trucks or ones that have lost their recaps. One only needs to contact local or state law enforcement and identify a safety hazard exists on the roadway and let them come out and remove the tire carcass. Could always be a good citizen and remove the carcass off the road  and onto the shoulder, if conditions are safe to do so.

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

Tire Treads on Roadway

@legitimate_bidder wrote:

I'll bet tire pressure has a lot to do with it, too. All that weight, if a pair of tires are even a little under-inflated, they're gonna really heat up.

I'm waiting for an essay on the evils of tire pressure sensors on modern cars.Smiley Very Happy 

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

Tire Treads on Roadway

@atikovi wrote:

I'll bet tire pressure has a lot to do with it, too. All that weight, if a pair of tires are even a little under-inflated, they're gonna really heat up.

I'm waiting for an essay on the evils of tire pressure sensors on modern cars.Smiley Very Happy 

I was thinking more along the lines of a comedic monologue: [In Jerry Seinfeld voice]: What's the deal with tire pressure sensors? My dad used to kick the tires; now, this little electronic thing does it for you....... They even have devices that warn you if there's something in your blind spot, and which apply the brakes if a car slows down three-quarters of a mile ahead. It's like having a mother-in-law, even if you're single!

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

Tire Treads on Roadway

I ment the evils, like after 5 years when the batteries die and they cost $80 each to replace and you have to replace them or your car won't pass inspection if the light is on...

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

Tire Treads on Roadway

@atikovi wrote:

I ment the evils, like after 5 years when the batteries die and they cost $80 each to replace and you have to replace them or your car won't pass inspection if the light is on...

Don't get me started! (They have seperate batteries??!! 😮 )

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

Tire Treads on Roadway

@atikovi wrote:

Don't get me started! (They have seperate batteries??!! 😮 )

Seperate batteries? Hell no! Built in batteries, so you can't just replace them. Have to replace the whole sensor.

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

Tire Treads on Roadway

Anonymous
Not applicable

Of course.....design engineers......i think they just design stuff to impress each other. Kinda like 16 year old girls......dressing to impress each other ya know?. Be carefully where you throw those sensors away now too. Toxic batteries inside and all..... - 96.

Message 15 of 37
latest reply