cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Abuse we now take as sellers on Ebay :-( Should Read Seller

consignsite
Enthusiast

(sorry for the long thread)Ever since Ebay changed there feedback format to no more Negs to bidder's, I've had a lot of problems now. Back in the day when we could leave Negs to unruly, or non-paying bidder's, there wasn't to much trouble. I had about 7 bidder's not follow through (from 1999) with there bid's and a few mean bidder's. NOW..11 non-paying bidders, 3 rude bidder's and 1 other bidder from May 2011, that still harrasses me to this day. At least Ebay suspended him for good. I can't be the only seller being affected by this so called "new and improved" Ebay format. I long for the good ole days when I could tell if a bidder was good or not, now..we have no idea who the problem makers are?? Because of this one bidder, I no longer sell under my consignsite name and don't enjoy selling on Ebay as I once did. Now, when I see a message on Ebay Intranet, I get a little nervous and wonder "what it is now". I can no longer warn fellow seller's of any potential problems with a bidder. I also never bother a bidder anymore if they don't follow through with there bid, what's the point. They'll just say they didn't get it and we're stuck giving them there money back, whether we like it or not. I'm an excellent honst seller and don't deserve they way I am now treated by bidder's that know they have us all under a barrel. I see that this change has done nothing to improve Ebay's bottom line at the stock market, only there botom line with all the increases in fee's we now pay. Please tell me your stories and any solution idea's..I sincerly do feel my hands are tied and can no longer defend myself when I take a beating from a bidder. Be safe and thanks for reading...
G

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

I've been on eBay for more than 10 years but mostly as a buyer, not a seller.  I also just look a lot.  I decided to start selling some things I've accumulated over many years.  At first things went well.  No problems.  I'm an honest person and I hope that other eBayers are the same.  Out of nowhere, I was abused by a buyer who knows the eBay system and how to take advantage of a seller.  After sniping a 78 year old watch at the last minute, the buyer complained that the watch was misrepresented.  It wasn't. The buyer demanded a full refund.  I agreed but only if buyer agreed to share in the cost of cancelling the transaction.  Buyer refused and went to eBay for a rulling.  eBay did not do any kind of investigation but ruled in favor of the buyer under the buyer protection plan.  The buyer unfairly get's all his money back including shipping cost and then get's to leave the seller negative feedback.  My hands are tied.  I didn't get to present my case to ebay and I can't resond to a cheating buyer with any sort of feedback.  There is something wrong with this picture.  I was doing eBay for fun but it's not fun anymore so I'm going to let them be successful without me.  Thanks for listening.

Message 2 of 55
latest reply

jnarelics
Enthusiast

The sole reason I wondered onto your thread was because I just couldn’t believe that I couldn’t leave negative feedback on a buyer who recently bought an item and didn’t pay. He has 100% positive feedback yet he buys items without paying. I find the whole thing just ridiculous. It allows a loop hole for people to buy out other peoples auctions who are selling an item similar to yours so that your item is tied up for a week while they can sell their item with absolutely no repercussions.   

Message 3 of 55
latest reply

dresden_7
Enthusiast

After trying to sell (for the first time I might add) a group of cemetary plots; I inadvertently has a .99 bid of which I thought was a beginning bid.  Someone bid and when I tried to explain that it was an error in listing it that way they threatened to give a negative review and additionally requested another $20 on top of the .99 in order not to give me a bad review.  I refused!  They gave me a very negative review.  I opened a case on eBay and was told to 'try and work it out with the buyer'.  Again, I approached them.  Still refusal.  I then reported the attempted extortion (of which I believe it was).  No response and still a negative review.  I will never place another ad on EBay!:-(

Message 4 of 55
latest reply

welcome to the club! i had someone bid for another just to leave me bad feedback... three weeks after that got the item. it was even posted on a non ebay chat board on how funny they thought it was! last week I had a seller tell me to *@#^ off you fat *@#^ because i guestioned them on shipping fees that were at least triple what they should be. did I report it? sure did, even called them on the phone. posted it on 'the soap box' forum. guess what? not only did ebay do NOTHING, they deleted my postings too! I see the truth is, ebay makes rules they have no intention of following. as a seller of over 13 years, i have no rights gang, and neither do you. it's all smoke and mirrors. I was stupid enough, knowing the buyers seem to have all the rights, and sellers get zip, even tho it's SELLERS THAT pay the FEES, to think that maybe as a buyer they would listen? nope nadda zippity doo dah nothing. You are indeed at the mercy of extortionists, scammers and just plain mean nasty people. that being said there's a lot of really nice folks out there too. just don't be under the illusion that ebay will back you on anything. this hairball even told me ebay wouldn't do a darn thing, and continued to cuss me out. he was right! don't bother ever hitting those 'report' buttons either. you just have to be satisfied that you are an honest seller, as am I. life isn't fair, and neither is ebay. It used to be if you were a power seller you would get a discount on your fees. now that isn't enough, you have to be a top rated seller. I was a top rated seller until a couple idiots didn't read in my ad that I ship once a week. they marked me down, even though I was in complete compliance with my shipping of a weeks turnaround as stated in listings. now you KNOW ebay wouldn't reverse that, more money for them. so sorry this is long, and i am betting it will be deleted as well. . was ebay a lot more fun and fair ten years ago? you bet! and sellers could see by feedback which buyers were deadbeats. now ya need a crystal ball. Does ebay value their long time good sellers? I think y'all can answer that one right?

Message 5 of 55
latest reply

tazerplayer
Enthusiast

I agree completely.  I stopped selling stuff for the same reason.  I had bidders that bid and never paid.  They did it to many other sellers and I'm just out.

Also, I was selling USED baby clothing with a disclaimer that they were used and washed.  So fading may occur.  I was but on the warning (whatever they call it) list becuase people said item not described correctly.  Which is not true!  I had every detail described and actual pic.  I never (not one item) got a complaint from any buyer.  It's unfair how it works.

My other complaint is I bought an item from China and it was crap.  I gave bad feedback and I get a letter saying that I I leave my feedback they will get suspended.  How is that my problem they sent me crap?

It's a no win situation!!!

Message 6 of 55
latest reply

I have noticed in the last few months, buyers contacting me after the sale, and after receipt of item, that supposedly not as described, in a majority of my items I can track them Via serial numbers, the last one really got me down knowing it was again, a bald faced lie...the buyer bought a phone from me, loved it, but was supposedly not able to activate it, low and behold somebody activated the phone from the time I sent it to when the buyer got it...I am always very proactive in dealing with ANY buyer concerns. And this buyer in particular was being very polite and professional for supposedly getting a faulty item, he even offered to send it back at his cost, but I told him I would pay for shipping back, long story short....the phone has been opened up, the motherboard removed, and replaced with what looks to be a water damaged motherboard from the same exact phone, so I basically paid him to steal from me and send me a worthless phone, and he kept the sim card also, which shows activated also...I refunded the full price all in the name of my "top rated" seller status, The few % I save on final value fees have actually costed me more...I always ship for free and very fast, In summary..I called Ebay "customer support" and got nowhere...between the Listing, final value and paypal fees and Ebay supported fraud, I have decided to end my relationship with ebay, the ONLY seller protection they offer is "item not received" and Buyers know this. Ebay/paypal, you have NO morals, or even common sense, just greed and and disrespect to sellers.

Message 7 of 55
latest reply

Was it?

Message 8 of 55
latest reply

Myself? Ten years on eBay with no problems but as soon as they made feedback One Sided the problems began.  Seems like many buyers now threaten you to get stuff for free, free shipping, discounts after they buy etc. OR ELSE !!!!

Now hobby sellers like me can't sell more than 199 items a year without having to hire a tax man to fill out more state and federal forms.

Not to mention the utter ridiculousness of having to pay a comission on shipping???????  What's with that crap?  I call and they say it's because some sellers try to make a profit on the shipping.  This is true like Studiocitycowboys once charged me $25 shipping on a tiny item that weighed only 3 oz and could have been put in an envelope.  So instead of ebay going after the bad guys they decided to make money on all of us.  Rip off. 

Message 9 of 55
latest reply

YES!YES!YES! As silly as this one sounds.......I just got my first Initiation into You've been scammed!

I sold her 30 harlequin books,sent her 35 all for a WHOPPING 3.99.....She very vulgarly complained 2 of the books were a little torn...I said so sorry,please accept a refund but I did send you 5 EXTRA BOOKS?? RIGHT??

She then proceeded to threaten me..email me thru my paypal email with threats and FILTHY language..I reported her,blocked her...she got the books for free.. the end right?? we cancelled trans  and once her refund came and I asked her to stop emailing me,She promptly stated I was a dumb A** and ha ha,ebay wont do anything.....Then proceeded to trash me on my feedback!!! NICE! Again,i asked ebay to stop her but NOOOOOOO~they actually told me off! I proceeded to tell them she has left more neg feedback and been given refunds than any other buyer I have ever seen!

So,I go to leave feedback for her and I cant!!! UNBELIEVABLE!

I feel your pain,am a top seller etc...etc...Blah blah blah~ they got my seller fees so too bad for me! I actually find myself checking buyers feedback they leave for others!

I ama bout done with ebay....Pretty soon it will be all overseas sellers as we cant afford to sell!

Message 10 of 55
latest reply

Hi, I'm new to the selling bit and I'm already sick of it 😕 I have an item I sold and in my options ion the listing it says I ONLY ship in the U.S....dude is from Jordan, I emailed him twice asking him to cancel and opened a case earlier to cancel the transaction and I just got a email from ebay saying he's trying to open a case because I haven't sent it....I even already refunded his money and explained that...any advice?

Message 11 of 55
latest reply

Hi, I'm new to the selling bit and I'm already sick of it 😕 I have an item I sold and in my options ion the listing it says I ONLY ship in the U.S....dude is from Jordan, I emailed him twice asking him to cancel and opened a case earlier to cancel the transaction and I just got a email from ebay saying he's trying to open a case because I haven't sent it....I even already refunded his money and explained that...any advice?

Was there an option of 'block bids from bidders that are not from the specified country' or something? That could be the problem.

When up against non-payers, file UPI cases ASAP, do the right thing for the wellbeing of you and other fellow sellers.
Message 12 of 55
latest reply

I'm not positive what the actual wording was, but I had set it up somehow for US only because of problems I've had in the past. He cancelled it, but now I'm worried I'll get neg feedback.

Message 13 of 55
latest reply

judithl202
Enthusiast

EBAY IS AN ABUSER!!!!!!!!!

I cannot believe that despite a delivery where I had to advance $72 in shipping that Ebay still holds my funds after the buyer receives the item and gives feedback that they love it.

Ebay is a theiving company and I will never sell anyting on it ever again.  Never.

Message 14 of 55
latest reply

Hi, I truly sympathize. I HAD 582 positive FB until today. I had a pair of new shoes for sale in the box. I did not know you could block certain bidders. I never had to. My listing stated I ship only in the USA at the top and bottom of the listing. The buyer bid and won from Canada. I wrote very nicely and said I do not ship outside the USA. The bidder wrote and said *tough crap* I won them and you have to ship for the US postal cost. I then filed a cancel transaction, and the buyer declined. I called ebay and they said go ahead and re~list as no payment was made. TODAY I go to my ebay and now have 581 FB. Yep, this buyer gave me bad FB and said I sold the shoes to someone else while waiting for a invoice. A big Lie! I call ebay again, explain and I am told the FB is the right of the buyer and it stands! Then I receive a email on my personal email from the buyer and it said "HA HA got you good for not selling to me". I call ebay again and am told they will not look at personal emails as they might be bogus!! So I lose, and the malicious buyer with a agenda and 13 FB wins. It is a sad day when a seller who makes money for ebay has to shake and quake with every transaction. Eventually each and every seller will become so tired of all of this that they will find other outlets to achieve a financial goal.  To all other sellers out there......I hope your FB is not destroyed and if it is, maybe will listen to you, they could care less about mine. 

Message 15 of 55
latest reply